Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By ajarson Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 pm
My S1000 power supply just stopped working and I'm thinking about putting it to rest. I've got a gotek drive in my 60 that is either broken or installed incorrectly, and I'm thinking about taking it out entirely as it doesn't get used (I use SCSI). A floppy drive would be great as I could keep my most used kits on there and not have to cycle through different partitions on multiple zip disks to find one kit/program which gets tiring and confusing. I think I had read that the S1000 Drive is compatible in the MPC60 but I'm not entirely sure and a little wary to try it. Can anyone confirm this? If so, it would save me 1000 dollars in buying a replacement!
By peterpiper Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 am
s1000 = ALPS DFP723F Floppy Drive (HD)
MPC60 = Mitsubishi MF535C Floppy Drive (DD)
Not the same but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work. One thing is for sure: You wouldn't be able to use the 1,4MB of HD floppy disks but only the 720kB.
You should get to know the settings of the original drive (the Mitsubishi one) and look if you can setup the ALPS drive in the same way. (I'm talking about jumper settings on the drives. These are bridges on the PCB of the floppydrive that can be set either thru jumpers which are plugable or pins that can be soldered). If the drives are set to the same chances are that it might! work with the 60.
Is it worth the research, probably soldering work etc? Well I would do it but I'm the type of guy for such things. :)
peace