Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Cockdiesel Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 am
So this might not be the best place on the internet to ask this question but anyone here know anything about vocal processing ?

These clips emphasis how I want to get some accapellas to sound with the vocal processing but I am unsure how to get something to sound as deep and rich. I am guessing this is all early digital processing. I want to figure out a good way to achieve this sound either in hardware or software on a accapella. Any ideas ? Maybe point me in the right direction, if not. It’s something before the reverb, adding that brightness and clarity.
Really anything ub40 has some of the best vocal processing I have heard. The guy is talented but there’s a lot more going into this sound wise.
on the chorus
around 3:50 ish on the verse
By Ill-Green Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 pm
I do a lot of vocal experiments in the studio. The desirable stuff comes out when using a tube mic pre. Gotta let it heat up for a half hour or more for warm rich vocals. I've tried emulators, solid state preamps with the DSP chips and they might give me flexible frequencies, but always sound cold like a school auditorium mic. Tubes got that voodoo for vocals to sound warm.

I agree with Terry Towelling of the use of reverb.

The old Reggae used a lot of reverb and juicing up the gain for that strong vocal echo that sounds like they recorded on a 15 inch megaphone.

So for me, thats the formula:

-Tubes

-Gain

-Reverb

Experiment and you'll get that vibe soon.
By Cockdiesel Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:21 am
Might have to look into some free or cheap vocal harmonizer. Really makes that UB40 guy sound like a hell of a singer. I could of swore there was more than reverb on the jamericians track, but I can see where it would just be a really good reverb and preamps.

thanks guys.
By Wal Martian Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:26 pm
Try to find a used BBE sonic maximizer, you can get them for under $120. The reverbs here sound like digital plate reverbs, something like a Lexicon rack would probably do the trick, used ones can be found in the $100-$200 ballpark. The more expensive option is the Eventide ultra harmonizers or a clone (UAD makes the H910).
By Cockdiesel Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:24 am
Thanks for the heads up. Yea I have some hardware which might help achieve this, a dbx tube preamp, I have yet to use on vocals, eventide h9. And also the h3000 effects vst. I think I might need to dig more in the pitch side of the h9 vs just using it for delays and reverbs.

On second thought, I think it would be easier for me to to just make a make a decent hardware channel strip setup, warm audio pultec into 1176 and just use a vst reverb for ease sake. I’ll really to work with the pitch side of the even tide because I wouldn’t know where to begin. To harmonize could I figure out the key with a guitar tuner and use that to make a better vocal effect with the pitch shifter algos ? The pitch side is cool but the music theory aspect is above my pay grade especially with vocals.

I heard a real retro sounding but very well done vocals I will post here. Reminded me of a bbd delay and really washed out reverb but I haven’t the slightest about how they got it. Sounded real dope on my head phones earlier today.

By Monotremata Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:57 am
Not sure about any BBD delays or anything.. Just sounds like a bright and short digital reverb, probably a plate. Sounds like something you would get out of Chromaverb or Space Designer in Logic. Its late though and Im just listening on the speakers in my tv Ill have to fire it up tomorrow and listen louder cause the vocal effects sounded pretty rad.