Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:30 am
The best thing about the isla instruments, is that they go directly to the musicians. No marketing tricks, just good old fashion here is what we have, here is where it's going, Also with the $950 price, they are basically telling people. Don't buy the SP1200 for $4000+ you're getting ripped off. :lol:

1. I'm interested to see how it works, when connected to a desktop.
2. What's the file format?
3. Do all the buttons, Knobs, and Faders send MIDI?

Would've been great, if they gave it 8 inputs, then it could be used as 8 in/out real time filter effects box.
By Wormhelmet Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:22 am
I hope it never really gets compared to an MPC. I hope it’s comparison stays with a real SP1200 and how much more it can do than an original SP1200 and how does the 12 bit sampling with filter applied stack up against an original.

Looks like it’s gonna be a cool unit when they get final production done on it.

The machines that had limited resolution back in the day were great for that gritty sample vibe. I keep a Zoom Sampletrak ST224 around for that reason. Bit crusher fx just can’t duplicate native lo fi sampling. The ST224 has that gritty sound also. Particularly sampling in lo fi mode. It tops out at 32KHz sampling frequency at hi fi, but has 16KHz and 8KHz modes. The poor man’s sp1200. I picked mine up in 2007 and still have the PC editor for it to pre-setup kits. Got a couple 16MB Smart Media Cards for it also. Has somewhat of a toy feel to it, but 3x banks of 8 pads and can make some lovely lo fi tracks with it. It’s got good reviews all over the web for its sound. They are cheap on eBay and so is smart media cards for it. I somehow missed it back when they first came out, I was using an SU700 back then anyway with 100Mb scsi Zip drive. SU700 could get some nice lo fi sampling too. My buddy I jammed with had an SP-202 Boss unit that was nice too.

I got my ST224 for the cost of shipping basically. The one and only eBay deal gone bad for me, but I fixed the unit and was refunded my money except the $15 shipping cost as I opted to keep the unit (so I could repair it myself). Best $15 on a sampler ever spent. They are cheap anyway though.

By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:03 am
In terms of being able to sequence my synths like a mpc I hope it achieves that, is all I am saying. What I am saying is a modern flagship with out the public beta testing extra features akai wants to add. I’m talking a master piece that is just made and a modern take of an classic work flow. Keeeping my eyes on this but but it bypasses what even new hardware buys into, having to live in a eco-system. This and a sound card with enough ins and a decent grasp on a daw is all you need. Even then it’s talking about streaming from usb. You see what I’m sayin?
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:24 am
Cockdiesel wrote:In terms of being able to sequence my synths like a mpc I hope it achieves that, is all I am saying. What I am saying is a modern flagship with out the public beta testing extra features akai wants to add. I’m talking a master piece that is just made and a modern take of an classic work flow. Keeeping my eyes on this but but it bypasses what even new hardware buys into, having to live in a eco-system. This and a sound card with enough ins and a decent grasp on a daw is all you need. Even then it’s talking about streaming from usb. You see what I’m sayin?

I've always found the strength the SP1200 was that it's dead simple to use. Perhaps with usb ports on the back, they could incorporate some kind of break out box. I do wish they would've incorporated, DANTE. It would've been the first drum machine to do so.

I wonder if the ISLA SP2400 sends audio over USB?
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 pm
actually charles I believe the isla guy stated in one of his interviews that it would stream audio. He said he may also look into some peripherals like a disk drive for loading old sp-1200 disks.

The more that comes out the more I am starting to dig this thing. Really like the per channel filters with the knobs right there. I guess they are lp/hp too which is really dope.

It's a ways out so it will be fun watching this develop.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:20 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:actually charles I believe the isla guy stated in one of his interviews that it would stream audio. He said he may also look into some peripherals like a disk drive for loading old sp-1200 disks.

The more that comes out the more I am starting to dig this thing. Really like the per channel filters with the knobs right there. I guess they are lp/hp too which is really dope.

It's a ways out so it will be fun watching this develop.

That would be a good thing if it does. Also being able to read old SP12 AND SP1200 disk would be a very added bonus. I have tons of SP1200 beats that were transferred from floppy to a hard drive. I'm not going to buy a SP1200 due to outrageous pricing and the limitation of the machine. It was cool in 93. :lol:

At this point, I don't want to deal with, Floppy, OD, CD, ZIP, JAZ, CF, SD card.
By Monotremata Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 pm
I gotta admit Im not very familiar with the SP-1200 but how does it compare to something like the MPC? I know they were competition of sorts, the hip hop guys either had one or the other.. Its a full on sequencer/sampler like the MPC or?? I gotta go find a website on one now or something. Ive never heard anything about it other than the damn 12 bit sound of the sampler. When I hear people talk about sequencers or workflow, its always the MPC that comes up. Hows the 1200 hold up to it?
By Coz Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:FWIW

I don't think the 'test' says a lot to be honest. The SP signature sound is as much about layering sounds and running them through the different filtered outputs as it is the aliasing. I'd like to hear the same test but on a sample taken at 45 +8 and the pitch dropped way lower. I suspect the differences would be more apparent.

It's irrelevant anyway if the guy isn't trying to make a clone. Still looks like a really interesting take on a classic. :smoker: