Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:21 pm
Monotremata wrote:I gotta admit Im not very familiar with the SP-1200 but how does it compare to something like the MPC? I know they were competition of sorts, the hip hop guys either had one or the other.. Its a full on sequencer/sampler like the MPC or?? I gotta go find a website on one now or something. Ive never heard anything about it other than the damn 12 bit sound of the sampler. When I hear people talk about sequencers or workflow, its always the MPC that comes up. Hows the 1200 hold up to it?

It's hard to say, but the MPC was more expensive than the SP12. The MPC 60 was $5000 and the SP12 was 2500 and the SP1200 $3000. Also the MPC power was in the sequencer and the ability to push lots of MIDI gear. So the MPC was always a more complicated device. We use to pair the MPC 60/3000 with the Akai S6000 sampler. Then sampler and sequencer were primarily separate machines still.

Lots of people graduated from the LINN Drum and Linn 9000 to the MPC 60. During those days, it was more about the price and not the sound. The whole SP sound started much later, but people paired the SP with S950. So the whole SP sound was really the AKAI S950 and S Series sampler sound as well as the outboard /mixers and tape machines. :nod:
By peterpiper Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:00 pm
Monotremata wrote:I gotta admit Im not very familiar with the SP-1200 but how does it compare to something like the MPC? I know they were competition of sorts, the hip hop guys either had one or the other.. Its a full on sequencer/sampler like the MPC or?? I gotta go find a website on one now or something. Ive never heard anything about it other than the damn 12 bit sound of the sampler. When I hear people talk about sequencers or workflow, its always the MPC that comes up. Hows the 1200 hold up to it?

In comparison with the MPC the SP does have a limited sequencer. You only get 1 track. So on the MPC you can switch on/off different tracks to mute the samples while on the SP you need to turn down the volumefader for the specific sample to mute it.

You can sequence in real time and step edit. The resolution is 24ppq (that means: there are 96 positions inside one 4/4 bar where a sample can sit on) The MPC2000 got 96ppq (so it's 384 positions in one 4/4 bar). This limitate the groove/swing of the SP. But you can use a workaround on this limitation by simply doubling the temposetting and sequence your 1 bar rhythm into 2 bars. With this method you get 'faked' 48ppq.
Both machines got 'swing' settings and people have kind of a spiritual thinking about that although it's roughly 98% math and just 2% more or less explainable "magic" :)

@charles: good point on the MPC sequencer. The SP wasn't really made to be the sequencer in a big MIDI setup and is very......read my lips.....VERY limited on this side. The MPC can handle this with ease.

peace
By Monotremata Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:28 am
Ahh cool. So it sounds like the 1200 was more along the lines of the actual 'Heres a drum machine but you pick the drum sounds' type of thing alot of people think the MPC is only good for.. I remember the MPC being described to me like a fancy drum machine but after learning about the sequencer I went 'WTF? You can do whatever with this thing!' Before I picked up the Studio I had the freebie MPC Essentials that came with the MPD226 so thats basically how I was using it. Just my one track drum machine in Logic heh. Got the full blown MPC Software and said 'Ok Logic Ill see you in a few months'..

Well hell so I might still need one of these to go with my MPC after all haha!
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 am
@islainstruments

Does the 2400 have only 4 banks of 8 PADS or has that been expanded?

Are you guys playing on creating a cascade connection, so it's possible to sync two 2400 together? This would allow for two machines to function as one, while doubling the inputs, outputs, and midi.

Will it have a breakout box that allow more inputs. Would love to use the machine as real time filter box.

Is there a plan to incorporate DANTE?
By dryad-66 Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:19 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dryad-66 wrote: :WTF:

Not sure if you looked at the rear of the SP 2400, but it does have USB A for hosting and USB B which is used for audio, midi, or power. Which makes AUDIO over USB very possible. :lol:

Sure maybe it does.But id like to think its just analog out put for the audio.Thats where the magic is for me.Analog audio out for a machine like this.
By Cockdiesel Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:51 am
charles I am not sure this thing works like your thinking making a filter box. Unless your talking about making each track an open channel strip. I don;t think this thing will have much in line of effects other than a hp/lp filter. I am wondering is if they are digital or not. I agree if you could stream through each channel that would be dope, and I am sure dante would make this a heavyweight for your system and use. Not sure that is even a possibility.

personally I want the sequencing to be there, just like mpc, almost unlimited tracks. I don't care about effects I have vst and some outboard. I don't want all the integration with computer. Streaming the 8 tracks usb would be about my limit. this mpc software has some tricks, but is really kind of wack. If it has a stable clock, sends midi nonstop, not just when the sequence is playing, I can stream my 8 tracks into daw while tracking out my synths into daw all synched up. I'm cool. I would sell my live. But the sp-2400 would have to have the quick work flow I can pull off with the live. Akai force doen't even have an dedicated erase button. Although akai force is a real sleeper here. I am telling you that thing takes the concept of the 16 pads to another level, but it has a ways to go.

the cherry on top of the wishlist is the asdr per step. I want to modulate my envelopes on my samples per step. hopefully with analog filters. I can do it two tracks at a time on my analog heat but its a pain in the azz. it's easier using control voltages and envelope generators, but modular is a black hole for me. It also can be achieved with the mpc live with it's automation but the is a nightmare I would never attempt. automation sucks on the live, and not easy to edit.

If your even trying to stand in the limelight of the sp, go balls deep. replicate everything and enhance to some thing unparalleled in the market today. and honestly years to some.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:39 am
Cockdiesel wrote:charles I am not sure this thing works like your thinking making a filter box. Unless your talking about making each track an open channel strip. I don;t think this thing will have much in line of effects other than a hp/lp filter. I am wondering is if they are digital or not. I agree if you could stream through each channel that would be dope, and I am sure dante would make this a heavyweight for your system and use. Not sure that is even a possibility.

personally I want the sequencing to be there, just like mpc, almost unlimited tracks. I don't care about effects I have vst and some outboard. I don't want all the integration with computer. Streaming the 8 tracks usb would be about my limit. this mpc software has some tricks, but is really kind of wack. If it has a stable clock, sends midi nonstop, not just when the sequence is playing, I can stream my 8 tracks into daw while tracking out my synths into daw all synched up. I'm cool. I would sell my live. But the sp-2400 would have to have the quick work flow I can pull off with the live. Akai force doen't even have an dedicated erase button. Although akai force is a real sleeper here. I am telling you that thing takes the concept of the 16 pads to another level, but it has a ways to go.

the cherry on top of the wishlist is the asdr per step. I want to modulate my envelopes on my samples per step. hopefully with analog filters. I can do it two tracks at a time on my analog heat but its a pain in the azz. it's easier using control voltages and envelope generators, but modular is a black hole for me. It also can be achieved with the mpc live with it's automation but the is a nightmare I would never attempt. automation sucks on the live, and not easy to edit.

If your even trying to stand in the limelight of the sp, go balls deep. replicate everything and enhance to some thing unparalleled in the market today. and honestly years to some.

Converting everything into Dante is a task. I need at least a 32 input channel digital snake. New music production gear seriously, needs to step up their I/O game.

I was at a studio where everything was Dante enabled. Life was a lot easier. All the outboard gear patched into 2 digital snake and those snakes sent 1 Ethernet cable each to a single switch. It's less expensive to buy a new switch, then to buy another digital snake.

For the SP2400, It does seem like this is not just a clone, perhaps they will add more things to it. Still would like to see other features they are planning on software side. I like the sound of the SP1200 but rather stick with the MPC workflow. I like the analog heat but for my current setup, I need 8 of them. :lol:
By Ill-Green Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:53 am
From what I know, the only thing SP1200 related on this is the ability to switch from 12 bit to 24 bit and vice versa. The guy mentions it having a lot of his ideas into it, so its not confirmed yet of how complex it can get but at $949 I expect something better than 80's technology :vomit:
By Icepulse Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Well this is what we asked for. I'm kinda glad someone came out with it, because if it sells, other companies will make their own clones and we gonna be happy.

But, I'll wait for the mini SNES sized SP-1200 coming out soon by Hasbro.

Blackbox.
By vout Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:35 pm
Does anyone know for sure if this really samples/plays back at 12-bit, or is the hardware all 24-bit with some DSP 12-bit emulation. I've seen the 1200/2400 comparison video and I can hear a difference.