For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Ggates456 Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:05 pm
Basically guys,

I've just got my new x0xb0x and love the sounds it makes.

But when I try to sync it up to the Mpc 1000 I can't get the x0xb0x to even make any sounds let alone try to get it synced up.

It doesn't respond to pressing play on the mpc, and doesn't even seem to let me enter or play a pattern while in pattern midi sync or midi play (I'm a bit unsure on which setting I want to be using, I'm looking to use the sequencer on the x0xb0x but have it clocked up with the mpc and respond to the play button on the mpc)

I've set up the sync out on the mpc to be master sending out clock, but I just don't know where I've gone wrong.

Please help mpc gods :worthy:
By tapedeck Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:05 pm
ok so you definitely want pattern play (midi) if you are sending clock only to the x0x. midi play is if you want to send notes using the mpc sequencer (btw this is actually really dope when you get it right, more on that later).

i'll tell you this too - my x0x was one of the original ones and it was kind of fried - the midi IN doesnt work so, i actually have to use the midi THRU as an input. try it - the thru and in are usually wired up exactly the same so thats why it works.
one other thing to check, is the mpc set to transmit the start / receive messages the x0x needs?

once you do get the pattern sync working, for absolute flexibility what i did was i played the x0x running standalone (no sync), and i recorded the midi OUT back into the mpc. now i have the sequence in the mpc, and i can use the mpc sequencer to full effect. a little tough to get to work right, but really awesome when you do get it.

but seriously just syncing the x0x is so useful - keep trying you will get it.
By Ggates456 Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:16 pm
I'll try all this when I get home from work!

Recording the midi out seems like if done right could be amazing!

I'm still a bit new to hardware synths so I've almost definitely missed something easy, but I'll check the midi thru and see if that works.

Thank you for the tips
By tapedeck Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 pm
Ggates456 wrote:I'm still a bit new to hardware synths so I've almost definitely missed something easy, but I'll check the midi thru and see if that works.

check your mpc settings first - using the thru is a total hack that i had to use due to malfunctioning hardware, so i hope yours is not broken the same way.
if it is though, do let me know, that'd be very interesting.
By Ggates456 Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:05 pm
tapedeck wrote:
Ggates456 wrote:I'm still a bit new to hardware synths so I've almost definitely missed something easy, but I'll check the midi thru and see if that works.

check your mpc settings first - using the thru is a total hack that i had to use due to malfunctioning hardware, so i hope yours is not broken the same way.
if it is though, do let me know, that'd be very interesting.

Do you know what settings these are?

I've set the sync out to clock and A-B, is there a setting for sending midi play messages?