MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:39 am
Well here's what Dan popped in to say in the Force thread at Gearslutz this afternoon.. Yeah it was the Force thread, but it applies for the most part to the MPC. I cant wait to see this beta forum myself..

So unfortunately, I can't tell you everything that will be in the next update, though I can tell you that an update is coming soon this month.

Ableton export (ALS) files both midi and audio will be in 3.0.3. Also, shift-edit and tapping a drum pad will create a keygroup track with that pad being spread across 128 notes. There's a lot of other great stuff that will be in the release as well, but I unfortunately need to wait for the official press release to say any more on it.

One cool thing we are working on is we'll be rolling out a new beta forum in August, where customers who want to can sign up, offer feedback and try beta releases before they're made public. We have some big launches planned for the next couple of months and users that want to can get early access here and test out these features.

Please be aware we have a full team working on the product now (as well as MPC) and the outlook for the coming months is very strong. We're not going anywhere.
By Menco Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:27 pm
Was very happy with the Live when I first got it. It’s mobility and flexibility and ‘modern’ features really got me excited the first few months. Recently I haven’t picked it up as much. The menu diving and inefficient GUI has put me off a bit. Hoping for next update that the new main mixer overview allows faster menu access and that they’ve finally fixed automation lanes in standalone mode
By vgambit` Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:42 pm
Very happy with my Live. Exceeds my expectations. The only feature request I have at this point is support for third-party VSTs in standalone mode, or at least the DrumExtract plugin, since it's so damn straightforward. It's a 400 kb dll with one knob to adjust, but the workflow impact is massive. Takes all the effort out of removing drums from a sample.

Anyway, Madlib and Freddie Gibbs just dropped Bandana, and apparently, the entire thing was produced on an iPad Mini. I don't know the full feature set of iMPC 2, but it's gotta be well below what an MPC Live is capable of, so I hear these complaints, but they're kinda in one ear and out the other for me. I haven't yet run into a limitation with this box (aside from it being kinda annoying to try to properly map a chopped up drum break to pads, e.g. grouping the kicks and snares).
By Monotremata Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:14 pm
The Live and X are running a Linux version of the software. Aint gonna be any VST support in that any time soon and if there is, I dont see many devs at all making Linux versions of their plugins.
By Manglepup Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:59 pm
I absolutely adore my MPC Live. I use it and a behringer xr18 mixer, and have 2 of the bus channels permanently going into the MPC's L/R inputs. Then all my synths, fx, eurorack, and mics plugged into all the other inputs on the xr18. None of them play out directly through my main LR outputs on the Xr18, but rather go thru the bus channels that go into the MPC Live. I can easily mute any instruments with a tablet I have that controls the Xr18 (mounted just above my MPC live with a car vent magnet attachment, on the rolling / adjustable stand I use for my MPC Live).

I use magnets for a ton of mounting/music stuff, the same kind you would use for a phone but with the thin metal plates attached to an instrument or device. My tablet, Roland VT-4, Zoom MS-70CDR, tablet for mixing are all attached this way in the pic. I also have a number of spots I can mount my phone, the microgranny, pisound, oscilloscope, or spectrum analyzer whenenever (also have a few other smaller/lighter midi controllers that I put the magnetic plates on).

link to pic

Here's a track I've been working on very recently, if anyone is interested: 190703 - HBD
By dryad-66 Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 pm
Ive just recieved a Ren and using it with 2.5 software.Much prefer it to live/x.Prefere the sound of it.And the feel ect.Very good quality.Kinda suprized.Also got it for a rock bottom price.About £150.Yeah baby....Hope to get better features and workflow in the next update.Win win...
By Mystic38 Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:04 pm
I am very interested and will track this thread as I have been interested in the MPCX since internal synths were added..

As a trial run, I just received a Ren and using it with 2.5 .. and while the pads are far better than the MPC5000, I just hope that setting up and using fx on the Live and X is nothing like the ren.. as it just doesnt work correctly from the hardware..
so, atm, its not clear to me that dropping two big bills for the X is a smart move...but at least with the ren i can write a hit list to check out on the X during a return window..lol
By Monotremata Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm
Dang Dryad good score hah. Thats not much more than I paid for my used Studio black off eBay hah. The Studio is awesome but I think I would've rather had the Renaissance for the extra Q Links and bigger display hehe. Still cant tell if Akai is dropping the Ren like they did the Element and silver Studio though. They don't seem to talk about any of them much other than the Studio, Live and X nowadays. A black version would be awesome and I would buy it in a heartbeat!
By dryad-66 Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:59 pm
Monotremata wrote:Dang Dryad good score hah. Thats not much more than I paid for my used Studio black off eBay hah. The Studio is awesome but I think I would've rather had the Renaissance for the extra Q Links and bigger display hehe. Still cant tell if Akai is dropping the Ren like they did the Element and silver Studio though. They don't seem to talk about any of them much other than the Studio, Live and X nowadays. A black version would be awesome and I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Yeah im very suprized and happy with the build quality and general feel and even the sound of the ren.Does not sound harsh to me and is perfectly fit for recording.Not a gglitch with the software yet either.Friggin niiicccee.I like to have software up on the laptop screen too for bigger editing.And its not as clunkin/big as i thouht it was.More robust than the X/live imo.Hybrid seems to work well for me.Not a touch screen fan tbh.Fingerprints and smudges put me off :( And i can just unplug and go anywhere with the laptop for portable editing somewhere else the replug and auto matically controller and soundcard is on again with software.No glitch or fuss :worthy:

As a trial run, I just received a Ren and using it with 2.5 .. and while the pads are far better than the MPC5000, I just hope that setting up and using fx on the Live and X is nothing like the ren.. as it just doesnt work correctly from the hardware..

For things like that or any other head scratchers i use the comp screen.
Last edited by dryad-66 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dryad-66 Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Mystic38 wrote:. and while the pads are far better than the MPC5000,

The 5000 just needs the insulation tape mod.Like 4 or less layers of tape in each space under each padstuck to the underside of pad rubber.Migthave to experiment but when i did it it only took an hour of so and the pads wre very very sensitive.No need for fat pads.Its because there is space there.Fill that and it works as it was supposed too.
By QuickStrike Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:02 pm
Renaissance is definitely a win in 2019. I paid $1300 for mine brand new When they first came out. There's futures in the Renaissance the MpcX doesn't or cant do well. dont know why but that's the way akai does things.
By EnochLight Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm
I do not regret purchasing my Live, and I'm still satisfied with it - but that's because I did a ton of research before buying it so I knew what its limitation and criticisms were. I didn't buy it with the expectation that "updates" would make it better - I bought it for what it was, then.

But I realize my perspective is in the minority in this day and age, when most expect a constant stream of free software updates that add features and change things, and many buy things expecting this before even doing the research before purchasing.

That's not to say I don't want more - I've been chomping at the bit waiting for 2.6 like most others, and I can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed about Hype (standalone) not being included in 2.6. I just hope that Dan G's claims about them "just getting started" and that they aren't anywhere near an EOL stage for the software support of the Live/X holds true.
By Mystic38 Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 pm
thanks..
i have no plans to exit my 5000 so have been watching a couple of tear down videos, and pad sensitivity is the first thing i want to fix, plus add an SD card via IDE/SD adapter as an internal SSD & probs a new screen (cos why not :) )..

I was hoping that the ren would be totally hands on in use but the computer screen & mouse is definitely needed :( am VERY much hoping these bugs are addressed in 2.6

random extra question.. can i create mpc5000 programs in the mpc software?..

dryad-66 wrote:
Mystic38 wrote:. and while the pads are far better than the MPC5000,

The 5000 just needs the insulation tape mod.Like 4 or less layers of tape in each space under each padstuck to the underside of pad rubber.Migthave to experiment but when i did it it only took an hour of so and the pads wre very very sensitive.No need for fat pads.Its because there is space there.Fill that and it works as it was supposed too.