For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By platfus118 Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:07 pm
hey yall
since I got some outboard gear, i've been wanting to maybe get a mixer to make them all play better with eachother.
I found a nice deal on a Mackie micro VLZ-1202.

My gear:

MPC2500
SP303
SP404sx
Minibrute
OP-1
JU-06
Turntable

I plug it all to the 2 MPC ins and the SPs ins.
I record the tracks on the MPC straight to ableton for further editing

I think I might need a mixer so I can use my effect pedals more efficiently as a send instead of a direct plug into the MPC, and also, better connectivity and more flexibility.

I'm fairly new to the hardware world, i've been an ableton dude my whole life.. :)

Thanks!
By terry towelling Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:58 pm
Given you are an ableton user, maybe get an audio interface with lots of ins/outs. Then use the ableton or audio interfaces mixing controls to do all the send returns and auxing etc. that will give you a very flexible and powerful set up. Also you will get all the midi synching with your gear and ableton.

I remember lampdog mentioning the audio interface he uses a while back. I looked at the specs.... looked inspiring. very useful, very powerful.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 am
I think there was 1 or 2 recent posts where I suggested a slightly more powerful/featured mixer/audio interface than you need because as grow your needs will grow.

Figure out your inputs/outputs, get one with a few extra ports than you think you need.

READ specs on audio interface. Some are mixer+audio interfaces and are able to break out multiple channels to software daw. IMO those are the BEST for peeps who want tactile feel AND multiple ports going to daw.

Warning, READ audi interface specs because many have LOTS of ports but are only capable of 2chnl audio into a software daw.

Me, I went with 1 year research and got something that I will NEVER outgrow. Probably gonna take it to my grave.
By Christov Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:44 pm
I have that same mixer I think, it's nice but for recording I'd get a audiointerface. That is offcourse if you're gonna record with your pc.

I got a m-audio audio interface for a pretty good price which allows me to have 6 of the 8 mpc2500 outputs plugged in the back and the other 2 can be plugged on the front of it, but also easily taken out when I need to record my microkorg or whatever. It's called the M-eight or something like that and for me it works great. Not motu quality soundwise but it works fine for me.
By El Fala Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:12 pm
Hi platfus118,
check the Soundcraft signature 12/22 MTK, it has 12/22 channels as USB interface, the the main drawback is it has no inserts.

(Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my native language)
By 6/8 Stanley Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:12 am
Just a hunch but I think you'll be happier with the Soundcraft 12 MTK than the Mackie. I don't have one but do have an old Soundcraft and read at least a hundred reviews for small mixers before I bought it. Better components equals better sound. If you want the Mackie look at it in a store before buying.