Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By mrbrownwst Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:12 pm
I need plain and simple fix for this as it's really annoying and can completely kill my work flow when using the 4K.

I've had a 2K for 20 years and fixing little sample pops/clicks that sometime occur at the start & end of chopped samples was an absolute breeze, just have the attack and decay set at 1 or 2 and it was all good, the 4K however is just not that simple with the ADSR.

I have experimented with the ADSR in many ways already to no avail and have read various threads online but nobody seems to give a straight forward and simple answer to this.

for one example I have a bass note that has been chopped, but where it has been chopped it makes a pop/click, I have tried to chop it at the zero point of the waveform but it still makes the pop.

All I want to do is eliminate those pops/clicks like I used to on the 2K, it must be possible and it must be a simple thing to do but I cannot for the life of me figure it out on 4K.

I've been making beats for 20+ years and have never had an issue dealing with this sort of thing until I got the 4K.

I hope someone here can give me a SIMPLE and STRAIGHT FORWARD answer.

Cheers
By Lampdog Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:33 pm
Is this I3rown I haven't heard from in a long long time?

Anyway, I have a 4k also. If you like you can upload to google drive one of the wav's you are having problems with, tell me exactly what you want me to achieve and I can take a look at it on my 4k.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:48 pm
Is the bass sample in stereo? If so go to sample edit and covert it from Stereo to Mono. Then zoom in on the sample and chop it a zero crossing and see if that helps. Sometimes, Stereo samples do that. But like @Lampdog suggested. Upload the sample and it's easier to see what's going on.
By wavejockey Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am
have you chopped it with the onboard functionality/process? (in x even pieces)
then make sure you had the release set to >0
i too experience pops etc when making samples but most of the time (95%) i can get rid of it adjusting the length of the sample - but thats when not chopping but just sampling (it is easier with a one note sample)
By Lampdog Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:12 pm
Popping when loops return to start are caused by sharp differences in volume.

Chopping at zero cross points help.

Continuing the directional flow of the waveform helps.

Adjust the loop points. This part take time and with experience will become easier to understand AND accomplish. There is no cookie cutter process for this one because every sound is diff and needs unique attention.
By peterpiper Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:38 pm
Just some other reasons for pop noises.
1. Sample is from vinyl and the pop in already in the sample (vinyl pop/crackle)
2. Sample is distorted at the start caused by sample at high recgain (but I guess the 4000 is just like the 2000 and can handle hi recgain so this shouldn't be the issue)
3. There is a noisegate FX somewhere in the signal chain which is set too fast.
4. The already mentioned stereo problem (when the phases of left and right channel are too different and you are not able to get a zero crossing startpoint at both channels.) The solution here is either convert it to mono or convert it to left and right channel, chop them differently, put them on two pads and pan them to left and right again.

peace
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:12 pm
peterpiper wrote:4. The already mentioned stereo problem (when the phases of left and right channel are too different and you are not able to get a zero crossing startpoint at both channels.) The solution here is either convert it to mono or convert it to left and right channel, chop them differently, put them on two pads and pan them to left and right again.

peace

To save a pad, go to
Program>KG MIX>Zone
Assign left sound to zone 1 sample
Assign right sound to zone 2 sample
Then pan each sound.

Did he ever resolve the issue?
By peterpiper Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:20 pm
Ok Charles thanks for that. I never used a 4000 so I didn't know that it is capable of doin in this way. The 4000 OS is more like a 'real' sampler right? You can also control(play) a sample via keyboard in a specific keyrange not like in other MPCs were you just have that 16level function.
peace

wow I just seached for used MPC4000 and I thought they would be more expensive. But they are in nearly the same price range then MPC1000. ????
By Lampdog Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:37 pm
Yep, you can get a zero crossing on 4k.

It’s the same engine as the Z4\Z8. It a full fledged sampler.

Yes, you can fully control samples, 16 levels and/or placement on any other
note you want.

Haven’t heard back from OP. I’m giving up for now.