Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Lampdog Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:54 pm
hok-2 wrote:Generaly I just rename them after I load them but, yeah Mpc2000's and Xls have a 8 digit limit on name size.

If you media stays within and ONLY touches the mpc you can do 16.

8 comes from FAT/FAT16 format that is then used on MPC.
By dunkeyman Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 am
hok-2 wrote:Onxy and Gravediggers? !
Yes my dude, I love those cats.
A Mpc2000xl is pretty much ideal in that case unless you've got access to a Sp-1200?

I use Cool Edit Pro to 'batch convert' folders of samples to 16bit but, there are various ways to do it.
Generaly I just rename them after I load them but, yeah Mpc2000's and Xls have a 8 digit limit on name size.

If its 90's grimey Hip Hop beats you want to make then Break Beats is where I'd start.
If you search in the 'Crate Diggers' section of this site there was a post of ''200 breaks" some one kindly uploaded.
Or find a 'ultimate Breaks' record... basically they're the drums most people used back then and they are still great now.
Have you got 8 outputs on your Mpc2000xl? And the Effects card?
If so, you are set, man. AS Peter Piper mentioned the effects board has a sort of EQ.... I don't have one myself so can't realy comment on that.
But, I can send you a program file and samples if you'd find that usefull. Im not completely sure Mpc2000's and Xl's load each others files. I use a Mpc2000 not a Xl you see.
There's another program called 'Mpc Editor' which is free and you might find usefull.

Looking forward to hearing some low down and dirty beats :smoker:
Also check out the 'Beat Battle' section, they're are some samples every couple of weeks and its a good way to home your skills, match relative volume levels and stuff, PEACE. !

You have no idea how much I appreciate your response. I'd do anything for an SP-1200 but it's way out of my price range. $5,000? Man, I wish I could afford that!

Yeah there is nothing I want more than to produce some beats that remind me of that early/mid 90s east coast sound. I think that first Gravediggaz album and that 2nd Onyx album (the one with Last Dayz) has to be my favorite beats in hip hop history. Don't get me wrong, I love a ton of 90s stuff, it's just that those beats were so damn dope that it always bummed me out they weren't commercial hits. The thing I always liked about Onyx is I felt like their later albums were better than their earlier albums. The later Gravediggaz albums suffered due to the lack of RZA and Prince Paul working on them. Onyx is somehow still putting out dope music even to this day though. Google the song "Pyro" by them if you never heard it before.

I am really happy to hear the MPC is pretty much all I need. I do have the 8 outs and the effects board, yes. From what I understand, the 8 outs is so that I can plug all 8 outputs into a mixer, and that way I can adjust each sound (hi hat, drum, snare, the main beat, etc) differently on the fly before it goes into my computer. Is that correct?

If there is some way you can send me the progra thing you are talking about I would appreciate it so much. I am pretty sure the XL can load the non-XL's files just fine. How could we go about getting those files to me? Should I just post my email address here?

I have literally thousands of hours of stuff I've saved for the past 20 years that I thought would make dope samples but I never got my hands on a sampler until this month. Literally I'd be in high school, and the music teacher would play something by mozart or someone else like chopin, and I'd write down the name of the song and the time into the track that I thought would be a great sample. I have books and text documents and emails I've sent to myself since forever because I've always wanted to do this so badly but didn't finally get a sampler until now, and you helping me achieve that dream means so much to man you have no idea.
By Lampdog Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:42 am
dunkeyman wrote: I'd do anything for an SP-1200 but it's way out of my price range. $5,000? Man, I wish I could afford that!

SP-2400 is coming soon. Have you not heard about it?

The maker is a member here. IslaInstruments.

Do a search for sp2400 and read up!

It’s NOT $5000 and you may want one after reading up.
By dunkeyman Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 am
I will definitely consider a sp2400. What does it do that the 2000XL can't?

I guess I am confused because I thought the 2000XL would be an all-in-one thing. Like I wouldn't really need anything else to make beats. So I bought the MPC PDF from the MPC-Tutorial site that advertises here and this is one of the things it says:

"Is the MPC a fully fledged sampler, like an S2000?
No, it's sampling section is limited, as it was designed primarily for drum
sampling, not complex instrument samples. "

So this is where I am confused. It's not a real sampler? It's just something used to chop samples and make drums time properly?
By tapedeck Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 pm
dunkeyman wrote:So this is where I am confused. It's not a real sampler? It's just something used to chop samples and make drums time properly?

its definitely an underpowered, albeit very capable, sampler by some standards.

this isnt a bad thing...the sp1200 is just as, if not more, limited... so you can't get caught up in the specs.

also consider and 'all-in-one' machine by 1998 standards is going to be pretty different than in 2019. :mrgreen:
By Lampdog Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm
2kxl is not a full fledged sampler.

SP2400 isn't out yet but you can check what info is out there on the web.
I'm not about to run down those features for you.
Do homework on it if it interests you. I've already ordered an SP2400.

This is why most of us here in the forum say read up before purchasing anything from anywhere.
Look for the same thing in multiple corners of the web to add up all info you find.
By peterpiper Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:59 pm
The main difference to a 'full fledged sampler' is that you won't be able to connect a keyboard and play a sample in a specific keyrange (for example: chords, melodies). You CAN play chords/melodies on the pads tho.

A 'full fledged sampler' works in this way:
1. sample something
2. assign 1 or more samples to specific keyranges (for example keyrange 1 goes from C0-C3 and you assign a basssample to it, keyrange 2 is set from C#3-C6 and you assign a pianosample to it)
3. play melodies, chords, bass etc (favoured with a keyboard connected to the sampler)

the MPC2000/2000xl works in a different way
1. sample something
2. assign the sample to a pad (the keyrange of a pad is just ONE note)
3. tune(pitch) the sample to your liking and play it

To play a melody or bassline or chords with that pad you need to be in a special mode called '16level'. The 16 pads now represent 16 different pitches of the sample (chromatically orderd). Still the notenumber of the sample/pad won't change and is fixed to the one you assigned it to, but the MPC internally pitch the sample.

peace
By peterpiper Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:43 am
dunkeyman wrote:So there is some sort of keyboard that I should be using with the MPC 2000XL? Can anyone recommend one that will do the above without breaking the bank?

No. If your setup is just the MPC and no other instrument, the keyboard is pretty useless IMO.

peace
By peterpiper Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:21 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:MPC 2000XL does have Auto Chromatic assignment. Ooh yeah! :nod:

Still it's just 1 sample on different pads which still have just 1 notenumber each instead of a keyrange. It's a workaround and have drawbacks. Just an example. What if you want to change the filter/resonance setting? You'll have to go to the filter setting of EACH pad to change it.
My commend above was ment to show the difference between MPC2000/2000xl and an instrument like the AKAI s series, Emu EOS series, Roland S series whatever. And of course the MPC has its limitation. Thats not a bad thing and if you follow my comments here on the forum you should know that I really like limitations. But if someone is at a state of the OP, it's fair to talk about that and that some things are maybe possible on such and such piece of equipment but need more work to be done. Honestly, I never missed the ability of setting keyranges on the MPC.

The MPC was created as a drumsampler first and foremost. A Drumsampler combined with a state of the art sequencer at that time which is able to control much more than its internal soundengine.
A 'full fledged sampler' was created to emulate real instruments or create a chromatic playable instrument from any sound you record in. Therefore it has to be more flexible when it comes to assign samples to a key/keyrange.

peace
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:35 pm
I was stating that Auto Chromatic assignment was one of the reasons, I picked up the 2000XL over the MPC 2000. It worked great for pads and synth sounds. For full 88 note key-range, I used Two, 2XL. Split the 88 Key Midi Keyboard. Place everything lower than c1 on the right MPC 2XL and place everything c1 and above on Left MPC 2XL. MY, MY, MY, was that tedious.

Come to think about it. that's when I started using dual MPC's. Sync them up, 8 out card in each, 16 outs in one pass. We even recorded and mixed vocals and scratches that way. :nod: Should've tried syncing four of them, but the budget was extra low then. :lol:

Agree with @lampdog the SP2400 pre-order price is very promising.

Peace and 16!

peterpiper wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:MPC 2000XL does have Auto Chromatic assignment. Ooh yeah! :nod:

Still it's just 1 sample on different pads which still have just 1 notenumber each instead of a keyrange. It's a workaround and have drawbacks. Just an example. What if you want to change the filter/resonance setting? You'll have to go to the filter setting of EACH pad to change it.
My commend above was ment to show the difference between MPC2000/2000xl and an instrument like the AKAI s series, Emu EOS series, Roland S series whatever. And of course the MPC has its limitation. Thats not a bad thing and if you follow my comments here on the forum you should know that I really like limitations. But if someone is at a state of the OP, it's fair to talk about that and that some things are maybe possible on such and such piece of equipment but need more work to be done. Honestly, I never missed the ability of setting keyranges on the MPC.

The MPC was created as a drumsampler first and foremost. A Drumsampler combined with a state of the art sequencer at that time which is able to control much more than its internal soundengine.
A 'full fledged sampler' was created to emulate real instruments or create a chromatic playable instrument from any sound you record in. Therefore it has to be more flexible when it comes to assign samples to a key/keyrange.

peace
By dunkeyman Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:33 am
Ok so just so I get this right, if I get an MPC 2000XL, SP2400, and a 12 channel mixer, this is basically all I will need to theoretically create any beat I want? Everything from "Insane in the Brain" to "Triumph"? For argument's sake.
By tapedeck Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:56 am
dunkeyman wrote:Ok so just so I get this right, if I get an MPC 2000XL, SP2400, and a 12 channel mixer, this is basically all I will need to theoretically create any beat I want? Everything from "Insane in the Brain" to "Triumph"? For argument's sake.

no
all you need is a mpc
or a 2400
or any other beat machine
'insane in the brain' was likely an sp1200, so a sp2400 alone might be closer to that workflow
By dunkeyman Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 am
tapedeck wrote:
dunkeyman wrote:Ok so just so I get this right, if I get an MPC 2000XL, SP2400, and a 12 channel mixer, this is basically all I will need to theoretically create any beat I want? Everything from "Insane in the Brain" to "Triumph"? For argument's sake.

no
all you need is a mpc
or a 2400
or any other beat machine
'insane in the brain' was likely an sp1200, so a sp2400 alone might be closer to that workflow

Man I am so confused. I thought the MPC couldn't really "manipulate" sounds, which is why it's not an "all-in-one-sampler".

Also someone like Muggs really did all those awesome 90s beats on an sp1200 and that's it? No other hardware?

Thanks so much for all the replies.