MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Koldunya Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:23 am
EnochLight wrote:For these trips I'd take an Audio Technica AT3035 and a Shure SM58. I'm sort of leaning towards that ART USB Dual Pre so I can run it off of my Live's USB port. Would save me lugging a battery or wall wart around.

I don't think it will work. Look at the rear panel. It only has left and right outputs for monitors, it's meant to be a USB audio interface for a computer =/
Bymember04959388 Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 pm
I used a Tascam Dr 40 for that.
It has two external mic inputs and it has phantom power.
It is about 100 dollars and it works with 3 rechargeable batteries that last a LOT of time.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:32 pm
Ye but if you look at the front you’ll see the inputs..;-)
From the specs:
Analog Inputs:
2 x Combo (Mic/Line)
Analog Outputs:
2 x TRS, 1 x 1/8" (Headphones)

Koldunya wrote:
EnochLight wrote:For these trips I'd take an Audio Technica AT3035 and a Shure SM58. I'm sort of leaning towards that ART USB Dual Pre so I can run it off of my Live's USB port. Would save me lugging a battery or wall wart around.

I don't think it will work. Look at the rear panel. It only has left and right outputs for monitors, it's meant to be a USB audio interface for a computer =/
Last edited by Yorgos Arabatzis on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By EnochLight Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:51 pm
Koldunya wrote:I don't think it will work. Look at the rear panel. It only has left and right outputs for monitors, it's meant to be a USB audio interface for a computer =/

As Yorgos said, it also has 2 x TRS (balanced) outputs and can be used as a standalone pre. I just need the USB port to power it.

Koldunya wrote:I don't see an edit button... the AT3035 uses 3.5mA of current/amps on phantom, FYI

The forum post edit button should be at the bottom right of any post you make. It's the little "gear" icon with the angled arrow pointing down.

Thanks for the info on my AT3035. I'm not sure if the USB-powered pre will deliver that sort of amperage, but my RME Babyface Pro seems to handle phantom power just fine running off an old USB 2.0 port. I use my AT3035 with it all of the time.

*EDIT: USB 3.0 (which is the port on the MPC Live) delivers up to 900mA. And USB 2.0 delivers up to 500mA. I'm sure my AT3035 will work just fine.
By EnochLight Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:06 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Also look for USB powered direct monitoring interfaces like these..I think they’ll work too but i maybe mistaken..Just ask an expert:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... box-usb-96

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

Yeah those will probably work standalone as well - the PreSonus AudioBox USB is a possible contender. I just have to decide whether or not I want to go cheap with the ART for $69 USD or spend $100 USD on the Presonus.
By Koldunya Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:30 pm
For some reason I went "monitor output =/= just a simple balanced line out >_> I'll see myself out XD

Yeah that thing should work fine. It'll even run for up to 20h on a 9V battery with phantom power on, though that should be fairly minimal drain on the Live itself if you opt for USB, and in the manual it even explains how to use it as a preamp and not USB interface. On battery or USB it uses 20mA and "50mA max" with phantom on, so I'm sure it will supply 3mA to the phantom without issue.

I'm probably stealing this, now :-D
By Koldunya Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:27 pm
lih wrote:Yes, check out the tascam ixz

this is designed to plug into the headphone jack of an iPhone. OP would need an adapter just to plug into the Live's 1/4" TRS balanced input, and I don't even know if a TRRS to TRS or TS adapter exists that would plumb the mic contact this is using to the correct conductor of a typical balanced jack like on the MPC, outside of DIY.
By EnochLight Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:28 pm
Koldunya wrote:
lih wrote:Yes, check out the tascam ixz

this is designed to plug into the headphone jack of an iPhone. OP would need an adapter just to plug into the Live's 1/4" TRS balanced input, and I don't even know if a TRRS to TRS or TS adapter exists that would plumb the mic contact this is using to the correct conductor of a typical balanced jack like on the MPC, outside of DIY.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the TRRS jack, the TASCAM iXZ would work perfectly. It's unfortunate they didn't make it with a simple TRS jack instead. There's zero reason to have TRRS on that interface for iOS.
By kaydigi Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Also look for USB powered direct monitoring interfaces like these..I think they’ll work too but i maybe mistaken..Just ask an expert:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... box-usb-96

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

What so you are saying I can use the mic inputs on these while using the mpc in standalone?
By EnochLight Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 pm
kaydigi wrote:What so you are saying I can use the mic inputs on these while using the mpc in standalone?

Yes. The whole point of this thread is to explore options for recording with various mics in standalone.
By kaydigi Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm
EnochLight wrote:
kaydigi wrote:What so you are saying I can use the mic inputs on these while using the mpc in standalone?

Yes. The whole point of this thread is to explore options for recording with various mics in standalone.

That’s crazy, I have a spare audio box in the closet. What I’ve been using is an Maudio audio buddy. I plug in the ac wart from the audio buddy into a ac mophie.

Man this is truly a game changer for me,
By EnochLight Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:50 am
kaydigi wrote:That’s crazy, I have a spare audio box in the closet. What I’ve been using is an Maudio audio buddy. I plug in the ac wart from the audio buddy into a ac mophie.

Man this is truly a game changer for me,

Wow - glad to have "woke" you!? :lol: I mean, the MPC has always been a sampler. You never thought of sticking a mic in it to sample? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯