MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 40Beatz Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:40 pm
That's why I have Both. Best of Both Worlds!
By Koldunya Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:35 pm
baztek wrote:Have decided to just use sd card and 256gb USB stick - ssd seems somewhat overkill for my needs. Will just keep backups in cloud.

Autosampler is amazing I wasn't even that bothered with the software as mainly intendng to use standalone but being able to sample VSTs from the software is killer.

Based on my current usage and the track in progress I am very happy with the CPU / memory performance. Specs are important to a point, however in hindsight I placed too much weight on this during the purchasing decision.

Plugin synths seem very usable, I'm not a big fan based on the preset demos I've heard but I think with some tweaking they can definitely add a dimension to the MPC live. I'm fear NI has made me a plugin snob.

I was hesitant on the specs, too, it's a mid to low end smartphone from several years ago lol. The RAM really concerned me, but it's been a non-issue.

Yes, autosampler is fantastic. I need to hook a Proteus 2000 up and sample all the patches from my Beat Garden ROM :nod: And maybe Techno Synth Construction Yard, I dunno.

I like Tubesynth a lot. Bassline is hit or miss and I find myself using Tubesynth more, but I do like Electric, too. My favorite OP-1 synth engine was String.

I have an SSD in mine, but kinda wish I hadn't? If it was my only MPC, probably. But the SD card is so much more convenient and I plan to just swap it into my X and load projects I started with the Live elsewhere.

40Beatz wrote:That's why I have Both. Best of Both Worlds!

Yup, I've decided I'm adding a Live to go with my X. I keep wanting the white Live that MPCStuff has, and it has the knurled knobs that don't seem to be available which look vastly better than the current ones they're selling...

But then I want it to be pink since there aren't any pink pads for the modern MPC line (don't judge me! :lol: ) and the Live looks easy to wrap. Pink wrap, white pads, black pad surround, mmhmm :nod: though pink with black pads wouldn't look bad, either, but damn it they show every last spec of dust XD
By Chenchobeatz Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:06 pm
I recently just got the live and i am in love with it. Definitely disappointed that no 3rd party plug in support however all the samples and sounds you can put in there i should be fine making awesome beats as is.
By Cockdiesel Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 am
you may want to look into a used force if you're into the synth stuff. hype synth is on another level then the ones on the live/x and it's hands downs the best controller i have used for programming synths. It's workflow is centered around recording samples/ loops, and laying down progressions, scales, etc just like a mpc. It's still very much more unfinished than the live was when I got when they first dropped, but after seeing what has been does with the live/x this thing is set up to be monster.

unless you have some friends you go jam with, the live really isn't as portable as you think. furtherest mine goes is my back porch, and i bring it when I go on vacation but I rarely use it then. always plan on it though.
By Koldunya Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 pm
I was fortunate enough to borrow a Live before making my decision, and stand by it. It's "portable enough" for me. I've brought it to work every day for almost a month, now, in a satchel bag.

MPC is getting Hype as confirmed by someone from Akai over on another website. I imagine as part of a paid 3.0 upgrade and not a 2.x one. Not all that interested in the Force tbh, since my X has more inputs and outputs, more CV, more knobs, and as much as I like 8x8 grids I just don't really use them. The Force would also have to sit at home, just like the X does., unless I lugged around a separate battery pack with a 120V AC outlet on it.
By Unreallystic Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:14 pm
I've got Force & Live, and they are completely different, its a lot more work to travel with the Force, than with the Live. The UDG bag for the Live is a perfect size, but to bring the Force somewhere I have to throw it in a GIANT bookbag. It quickly went from bringing my MPC to work everyday, to buying the Force, bringing it to work everyday for a week, to bringing the MPC to work everyday and the Force being shoved directly into my Live Looping portion of the studio. It feels BIG. And that doesn't even get into the lack of a battery, which means you have to travel with the cable. That doesn't touch that the Live can sit on your lap while the Force needs a truly stable surface.

I don't think 3.0 will be a "paid" update, wasn't that already confirmed?
Force chokes on Hype anyways, especially past (4) notes of polyphony. So I don't expect - even with 3.0 for the MPC to be great with it.
- Unreall
By [email protected] Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:55 pm
After using an MPC2500 for 5+ years, overall, I'm on the fence. Other than the 2500 being buggy and not being touch-screen, I think I preferred the workflow a lot more on the 2500. It was also much easier to transpose to move around to specific measures. Overall, the X is needlessly complex with not very useful added features.

It does a few things better than the 2500 and a lot of things worse.

I'm seriously considering "downgrading" to an MPC4000.
By justineastwick Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:08 pm
Coming from an Akai MPC 1000, I'd have to say that I'm satisfied with my MPC Live. The only issue (really not even an issue more than a preference) is accessing the internal memory so I can actually load up templates when I first turn on my MPC Live. As with my MPC 1000, I always delete all the stock sounds off and eventually fill it up with my own. I've been doing that with my MPC Live as well, but I see that the templates have been screwed up since I did that.
By wavejockey Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 am
Manglepup wrote:
Here's a track I've been working on very recently, if anyone is interested: 190703 - HBD

interesting track, found sounds/collage, aka the residents, deff. pops out
By Monotremata Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 am
justineastwick wrote:Coming from an Akai MPC 1000, I'd have to say that I'm satisfied with my MPC Live. The only issue (really not even an issue more than a preference) is accessing the internal memory so I can actually load up templates when I first turn on my MPC Live. As with my MPC 1000, I always delete all the stock sounds off and eventually fill it up with my own. I've been doing that with my MPC Live as well, but I see that the templates have been screwed up since I did that.

The Akai folks actually warned a couple people over on their forum they shouldn't delete that stuff. They didnt say why or how but it causes the MPC Software to do weird shit afterwards, even though its supposedly only expansion content and whatnot. The software on my Mac doesn't care if I have it installed or not so no clue what's going on there.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:21 pm
Definitely contact support to send you the factory content files and instructions on how to restore it..It screws the OS completely!If you need to make your own Templates and stuff do yourself a favor and buy a Samsung EVO Pro SSD..The upcoming Disk Streaming and Hype synth will need this!I use one since day 1 and works like a charm..
justineastwick wrote:Coming from an Akai MPC 1000, I'd have to say that I'm satisfied with my MPC Live. The only issue (really not even an issue more than a preference) is accessing the internal memory so I can actually load up templates when I first turn on my MPC Live. As with my MPC 1000, I always delete all the stock sounds off and eventually fill it up with my own. I've been doing that with my MPC Live as well, but I see that the templates have been screwed up since I did that.
By justineastwick Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:01 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Definitely contact support to send you the factory content files and instructions on how to restore it..It screws the OS completely!If you need to make your own Templates and stuff do yourself a favor and buy a Samsung EVO Pro SSD..The upcoming Disk Streaming and Hype synth will need this!I use one since day 1 and works like a charm..

Yeah, I have a 1TB SSD in my MPC Live already. I would like to just restore the templates - not necessarily the content, you know? I’ll contact them to find out.
By MsClean Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 am
I have the MPC x @ 2.6 and I am very happy with the unit. I not even scratching the surface though. I use it synced to Logic X. I often use it as a processor / sampler for guitar in the studio as its fast and the fx are really good.

Wish-list:
Midi cc's for the looper controls
A basic guitar amp sim (and in a perfect world an IR loader)

Cheers
By Bezo Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm
I don't want to start a new thread for this. Since we're talking internal drive content...

Anyone know an efficient way to get the included expansions copied to my installed SSD from the internal drive? It's a pain looking through there the way they have it organized.