Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Lampdog Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
saltmcgault wrote:Charles where are these 2a.m. beat session 4000 bangers you speak of? :lol: :popcorn:

They are multi tracked, mixed, meta tagged, archived, copyrighted, registered with ASCAP or BMI and archived for my next round of Music Submissions. :smoker:

I'm laymans terms, "**** no, you aint getting a listen."

:lol: :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:02 pm
Lampdog wrote:I'm laymans terms, "**** no, you aint getting a listen."

I was trying to be diplomatic. :lol: Personally, I never understood the need to post music, that isn't connected to some kind of project. I finished the exercise, but now I really want to flush it out with more elements and a proper mix. However, I did say I would post it. So the mix on the MPC 4000 will have to do. :lol:
By Lampdog Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:53 pm
I completely understand.

I don't post shit, why, cause, phuck that.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:55 pm
Okay here is the exercise as promised. Used some drums from my collection, everything else came from

Sample Link: https://soundcloud.com/baramundi-66/slow-drift-1

MPC Sample Rate: 24/48
SAMPLE MODE: MONO
Input Source: Analog In

Sony Vegas Render:
Video: 1920 x 1080 MP4 Constant Bit Rate (29.970 NTSC)
Audio 48,000 hz (Sample Rate) 512,000 (Bit Rate)

Effects: MPC
Arrangement: MPC
Sampled into: MPC
Mixed: On MPC
Stereo Recorded into: TASCAM DR-100mkIII
Transfer: DR-1000mkII via SD Card to computer

No mastering or any other effects/processing except for normalization in Sony Vegas. It appears the MPC 4000 is in working order. The only color from any other machine, would've been the analog out of MPC to the inputs of the Tascam. (I did not over drive it at all.) Other than that, this is the sound for this particular MPC 4000. I could've used the digital out to bypass any other A/D conversion, but heck, we only live once. :lol:

My favorite Color: RED

My sign: TAURUS :lol:

Turnoffs: Cheap Op Amps.

Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By saltmcgault Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:09 pm
I didn't expect you to post up a fartcloud mixtape. :lol: I don't blame anyone for not posting their stuff online. I was just curious on how some of you that frequent this forum get down, It's not to judge or size anyone up.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:16 pm
saltmcgault wrote:I didn't expect you to post up a fartcloud mixtape. :lol: I don't blame anyone for not posting their stuff online. I was just curious on how some of you that frequent this forum get down, It's not to judge or size anyone up.

I posted up THE EXERCISE with some details. Not sure how much YouTube compress the audio, so watch it in 1080.
By saltmcgault Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:28 pm
Lampdog wrote:I'm laymans terms, "**** no, you aint getting a listen."

Yeah that's what I kind of deciphered out Charles's reply. Lol

CharlesRandolph wrote:Okay here is the exercise as promised. Used some drums from my collection, everything else came from

That's cool little tune you got going there. That snare is pretty neat! Sounds like those sessions were a lot of fun even more so when you basically damn near stole that 4000 from that thrift store. Good deal. Thanks for posting it.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:48 pm
saltmcgault wrote:That's cool little tune you got going there. That snare is pretty neat! Sounds like those sessions were a lot of fun even more so when you basically damn near stole that 4000 from that thrift store. Good deal. Thanks for posting it.

Yeah it's a good skeleton, that can be flushed out. It needs more instrumentation, changes, vocals, and other effects. Spent about 20 minutes in total so far. Yeah, 200 dollars for MPC 4000, is a nice find.
By Cockdiesel Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:27 pm
Does a 300 dollar z8 come close to as much of a find as this? :smoker:

Nice find by the way. I know you really like the 4000.
By Lampdog Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Sony Vegas

All my beginner DAW knowledge came from Vegas Pro (1997) and up.
Forever grateful to Sony for that.
By mr_debauch Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:58 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Does a 300 dollar z8 come close to as much of a find as this? :smoker:

yes, because for some reason, the prices on those is higher than the 4000.... and they don't seem to be nearly as common. I think since rack samplers are not really made anymore, people who need them tend to go for the ones with the highest specs... the z series is at the top of that short list.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:36 am
Lampdog wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Sony Vegas

All my beginner DAW knowledge came from Vegas Pro (1997) and up.
Forever grateful to Sony for that.

I keep calling it Sony Vegas, but it's VEGAS Pro. Magix bought it from Sony. Along with Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro and ACID Pro.

Cockdiesel wrote:Does a 300 dollar z8 come close to as much of a find as this? :smoker:
Nice find by the way. I know you really like the 4000.

Z8. Which one did you find Z8A or Z8D? The Z8A came with IB48P analogue output board and the Z8D came with the IB4ADT ADAT board.
By Cockdiesel Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:57 am
adat board, seen the 8 outputs going for like 100-150 on ebay but not sure if I need that. I can only handle one pair of outputs at a time with the live, but my sound card has more inputs and adat. so who knows.

It seems to have better editing functions than the live for keygroups. I obviously don't need it but thought it might be a good tool to have around and pair with the live. I just sold a roland reverb pedal for 260 so 40 bucks more to get something ALOT more useful to me.

Definitely give me a different flavor to work with. Plus I can share some of the keygroups I make with more users here, fwiw. After I get back from vacation in a few weeks I will share some of the digitone I just got and am learning. Now if I could only find a cheap mfc 42 to pair it with Id have quite the digital synth set up.