MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By d2ba Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Impossible to know for sure but do you think if Akai stopped making it and just released smaller cheaper MPCs (Force size would be an example) the X might just become sort after like the 3000? As it is the X is a dam fine machine.
Bymember04959388 Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:56 pm
I don't think they stop making it soon.
By Eyalc Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:20 pm
I don't think they'll stop making it anytime soon either. But if they did, I doubt it'd be "classic". IMO 90% of what makes an MPC classic is the number of hit records or ground-breaking records that were made with it. In time perhaps, but hard to say. The classic MPCs also benefited by a lack of competition. These days people are making hit records are so many different types of platforms.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:44 pm
Maybe Classic means, how many Youtube Review/Overview videos it appears in. :lol: Yeah, but joking aside I would not consider it a classic, until.

1. It pass the 20 year mark.
2. It dominates with being used on lots of hit songs. (Read Eyalc post above.)
3. It's a prominent fixture in studios.
By Lampdog Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:31 pm
I don't think the new mpc's can be classics.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:31 pm
You are right, it's a LEGENDARY CLASSIC GAME CHANGER :-D I think that's how it works now.

Lampdog wrote:I don't think the new mpc's can be classics.
By Lampdog Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:01 pm
Newer mpc's just don't have that mystical magical aura.

I feel like 20 years from now no one will be looking to get an X.
By 40Beatz Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 pm
Don't count them out so soon. The X has only been out for a couple years. I think 18yrs from now...It will definitely be in the Classic Category. We'll laughin bout how little Memory is has and how its missing all these features. When the New 2039 MPC Z drops, i'll still have my "Classic X" :lol:
By QuickStrike Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:36 pm
Mpcx is like the mpc 5000. Nothing special. I bet the 5000 Would be more of a collectible in 20 years over the Mpcx.

Its just a fad right now For people who knew about the old ones. Young cats don't even know what these machines are. They can care less too. It goes to show you how important these things are now. Just look at the resale value. Total trash.
By dez perado Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:08 pm
I don't know man?wouldn't count theX out yet. still not finished development. Don't know what new features might be implemented in future that might step up the X's position.
Bymember04959388 Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 pm
It will become a classic when it will be cloned (badly) by so nice and fair Behringer brand.
Then Akai will sue them but mr. Uli Behrimger will make a speaking to the nation and X will become a classic
By Monotremata Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 pm
^^ Oh man that shit is too funny. Dont give him any ideas, he might know about this place from lurking around Gearslutz already.

I dont know about 'classic', at least yet. Theres still alot of people with MPC2000s/3000s/60s/etc that aren't going anywhere any time soon. I think the market killed any room for 'classics' now anyways. Products like this just dont live as long as they used to sadly and they get forgotten. Even analog synths now. The X probably wont live long enough to become a 'classic' before the MPCX2000 comes out. 15 years from now, I bet the Akai Japan models will still outnumber them in use, but thats alot to do with the product and how things were 'back in the good old days'.
By Cockdiesel Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:50 pm
I think the days of having "future classics" are gone. Everything is made to be obsolete just like computers and software now a days. Not discounting the X, it's pretty innovative for what it does, but it's still a work in progress. Seems like asking if ableton 6 was a classic, or fl studio 9. I am guessing if akai is still around in 20 years they will be using a platform based on the software they building now, at least the r and d aspect of it.

just my 2 cents. still very much appreciate the live. In all honesty it's no more of a classic than say a mpc 1000, although I like the live WAY more than liked the 1000. Bringing audio tracks into the MPC system is killer for my work flow.
Last edited by Cockdiesel on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bymember04959388 Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 pm
Monotremata wrote:^^ Oh man that **** is too funny. Dont give him any ideas, he might know about this place from lurking around Gearslutz already.

I dont know about 'classic', at least yet. Theres still alot of people with MPC2000s/3000s/60s/etc that aren't going anywhere any time soon. I think the market killed any room for 'classics' now anyways. Products like this just dont live as long as they used to sadly and they get forgotten. Even analog synths now. The X probably wont live long enough to become a 'classic' before the MPCX2000 comes out. 15 years from now, I bet the Akai Japan models will still outnumber them in use, but thats alot to do with the product and how things were 'back in the good old days'.

Yeah I know, they closed 3 threads I made on GS where I was asking people if it's really worth giving money to these people.
Curious, isn't it?
I listen to your music tonight as I go back home.
Cheers
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:09 pm
As long as they keep re-using, ROGER LINN'S past design and layout. The new MPC's will never be a classic. It can't be a classic, when it's copying a classic.