MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By QuickStrike Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 pm
I have quite a collection of audio CDs.

Does anybody know if a USB portable DVD/ CD drive will work in standalone mode with the mpcx or live? :hmmm:
By Danoc Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:59 pm
I have no idea but that would be dope. If you have data on that DVD or CD it should read it off those just as if a HHD.

If you have one laying around let us know and try it.

QuickStrike wrote:I have quite a collection of audio CDs.

Does anybody know if a USB portable DVD/ CD drive will work in standalone mode with the mpcx or live? :hmmm:
By Danoc Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 am
Think he's talking about this DVD/CD player.

Ill-Green wrote:USB will only power the CD player but you'll need to connect the audio out into the Live's input to hear/sample anything.
By Danoc Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:21 pm
You could be right, I'm thinking just reading the info off the disk and pulling it off to the desk top and not trying to play a movie of sort. Yeah someone would have to try it.

Ill-Green wrote:I would think it could work, but the Live would require a driver to play those. Someone will have to guinea pig it.
By rvense Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Audio CDs will require work on Akai's part, I think, basically they'd have to include CD ripping. Data CDs will probably show up as drives in most cases.
By Danoc Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm
Yeah that's what I was thinking. if you put drums on a CD/DVD and use the one I showed they should pop up like another hard drive. Pull the drums off it and place them on the pad, and rock out.

rvense wrote:Audio CDs will require work on Akai's part, I think, basically they'd have to include CD ripping. Data CDs will probably show up as drives in most cases.
By Dmcghee Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:17 pm
I tried to use the Apple usb optical drive and it didn’t work on my MPCX. I was as you can imagine disappointed. I have the entire Akai S1000 and S3000 CD Roms plus Roland S700 and Emu sample libraries that work on my MPC4000. I also have a ton of third party CD roms that can be loaded on my MPC4000. If anyone managed to get a usb cd/dvd rom drive to work please share with the community and I will do the same.
By mr_debauch Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 am
well can't you read those discs in the 4000, then save the stuff onto a USB stick in the 4000.... then pop it in the X?
By wavejockey Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 am
we could do that but since the X/Live doesn't transfer filter/amp/modulation ENV settings from the 4k ..
just tried it myself with Advanced orchestra vol 4 - brass & effects // Yamaha C9 piano ; no succes - drive doesn't pop up in places
in CDxtract 4.5 they show, so that's a working disk/ext USB disk combo
By 40Beatz Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:07 pm
https://www.ebay.com/p/Protis-Multi-Med ... gJT7vD_BwE

THis ya best bet right here Bruh. Protis Multi Media Recorder
By Dmcghee Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:09 pm
mr_debauch wrote:well can't you read those discs in the 4000, then save the stuff onto a USB stick in the 4000.... then pop it in the X?

You are so right, I’ve been so involved with the X I didn’t think to do that until you had mentioned it. Transferring my library from the MPC4000 into the MPCX works beautifully. Thanks!