MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Menco Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:55 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Lampdog wrote:5k gets no love, not a classic :lol: :lol:
It's not even an unwanted stepchild, it's something that should have been
swallowed and/or shot into a skin tight lambskin/latex baggie and flushed?!

The 16 bit sampling, 192 MB of RAM and MIDI Jitter is what killed the MPC 5000. :lol: Did the MPC 5000 ADAT and 8 analog out mirror each other or could they be routed to send 16 out at once?

A CLASSIC Akai failure maybe???
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 pm
Bezo wrote:Agreed!

I remember folks not liking the 4K/Z8 when they dropped. Too clean. Now folks love them. I think that will happen with the X/Live when updates settle & folks get reacquainted. They simply do things other units are not.

Just can't imagine Classic status under current circumstances. Cult classic among MPC users maybe.

The MPC 4000 got the raw end of the deal. The OS was never finished and I read they were doing more development, before they filed for bankruptcy. The 4000 was suppose to do so much more. The thing that pushes the 1000 and 2500, is JJOS continued OS development.

Akai Pro, needs to release the OS Source code, It's been 17 years already. :lol: Or they could partner with JJ to further develop, the MPC 4000 OS. They would make money, coming and going. There's lots of MPC 4000 sitting in closets, waiting for retro update. Doing it that way, they would not have to support the machine.

The X and it's SOC hurts it ability to be repaired. Everything is too integrated, making it a repair torture. In two more years, the LIVE's battery is going to be an expensive problem for some. :nod:
By Lampdog Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:26 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Did the MPC 5000 ADAT and 8 analog out mirror each other or could they be routed to send 16 out at once?

Same as 4k, mirrored, not separate.

Menco wrote:A CLASSIC Akai failure maybe???

Not failure of a classic but a CLASSIC FAILURE.
Yep
By Monotremata Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:36 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

I remember folks not liking the 4K/Z8 when they dropped. Too clean. Now folks love them. I think that will happen with the X/Live when updates settle & folks get reacquainted. They simply do things other units are not.

Just can't imagine Classic status under current circumstances. Cult classic among MPC users maybe.

The MPC 4000 got the raw end of the deal. The OS was never finished and I read they were doing more development, before they filed for bankruptcy. The 4000 was suppose to do so much more. The thing that pushes the 1000 and 2500, is JJOS continued OS development.

Akai Pro, needs to release the OS Source code, It's been 17 years already. :lol: Or they could partner with JJ to further develop, the MPC 4000 OS. They would make money, coming and going. There's lots of MPC 4000 sitting in closets, waiting for retro update. Doing it that way, they would not have to support the machine.

The X and it's SOC hurts it ability to be repaired. Everything is too integrated, making it a repair torture. In two more years, the LIVE's battery is going to be an expensive problem for some. :nod:

Its been my guess that Akai Japan either lost, destroyed, or flat out didnt turn over any of their design docs on the 4000 when they filed for bankruptcy. Maybe it was left in a half-ass state and the new team couldn't figure out where to pick up or something who knows. Just looking at what Nukai came up with, the 500/1000/2500/5000 you can tell they had to go back further and start with the 2000. Id imagine the 2000 was well documented considering its lifespan.

If you look at the specs, the Live/X and software are dead on to the 5000 minus the new features the computer made possible. The one big difference is, the hardware, JUST LIKE the 5000 is limited to 8 tracks, where the software itself isn't. I think they finally said 'hey we need to integrate this DAW stuff' and the only reference they had to go on was their own products so we get the Nukai 'flagship' model in software form now. The thing is already pushing what it can do just to keep up with the 5000 specs. You would've thought they would've used the advancement in technology to bump the thing up quite a bit. I bet the fancy gui and touch screen takes more resources than the actual MPC does. They probably dont have much left to grow with feature-wise because the UI takes up so much of the machines muscle.

Yeah I was wondering about that battery heh. The whole reason I want one over an X or even a 5000/4000 is the portability. Hell my 1 year old Samsung phone I just replaced won't even hold a charge for half a day anymore and I dont do anything with my phone but occasionally answer it when the girlfriend calls heh. Im assuming it uses a USB connecter for the power supply like all kinds of stuff does now? Guess its a good thing I have tons of reeeeeeeally long USB cables if so.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:57 pm
Lampdog wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Did the MPC 5000 ADAT and 8 analog out mirror each other or could they be routed to send 16 out at once?

Same as 4k, mirrored, not separate.

Menco wrote:A CLASSIC Akai failure maybe???

Not failure of a classic but a CLASSIC FAILURE.
Yep

I laughed when I saw the 5000 at NAMM and laugh now. I have not forgiven them, since that 3500 aka 5000 marketing mess. MPC X has helped but no digital/wordclock, only 8 outs, and no IP networking connection hurts my brain. :Sigh:

Monotremata wrote:Its been my guess that Akai Japan either lost, destroyed, or flat out didn't turn over any of their design docs on the 4000 when they filed for bankruptcy. Maybe it was left in a half-ass state and the new team couldn't figure out where to pick up or something who knows. Just looking at what Nukai came up with, the 500/1000/2500/5000 you can tell they had to go back further and start with the 2000. Id imagine the 2000 was well documented considering its lifespan.

If you look at the specs, the Live/X and software are dead on to the 5000 minus the new features the computer made possible. The one big difference is, the hardware, JUST LIKE the 5000 is limited to 8 tracks, where the software itself isn't. I think they finally said 'hey we need to integrate this DAW stuff' and the only reference they had to go on was their own products so we get the Nukai 'flagship' model in software form now. The thing is already pushing what it can do just to keep up with the 5000 specs. You would've thought they would've used the advancement in technology to bump the thing up quite a bit. I bet the fancy gui and touch screen takes more resources than the actual MPC does. They probably dont have much left to grow with feature-wise because the UI takes up so much of the machines muscle.

Yeah I was wondering about that battery heh. The whole reason I want one over an X or even a 5000/4000 is the portability. Hell my 1 year old Samsung phone I just replaced won't even hold a charge for half a day anymore and I dont do anything with my phone but occasionally answer it when the girlfriend calls heh. Im assuming it uses a USB connecter for the power supply like all kinds of stuff does now? Guess its a good thing I have tons of reeeeeeeally long USB cables if so.

I'm about to go to JAPAN and request the 4000 OS. :lol:
By Monotremata Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:02 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I'm about to go to JAPAN and request the 4000 OS. :lol:

Ill go with you! Maybe we can find JJ while we're there and just convince him to start his own company. Would he still get busted for stealing the old Akai's software now?

Ive been watching ads and the local pawn shops like a hawk now hoping I can score one like you did. When I saw your post I screamed and made my girlfriend check it out "WHY DO I NEVER FIND THE DEALS LIKE THIS???" hahaha. Scary that Im actually considering its time to let my old Marshall head go since it could buy me a Live (or a 4000/5000 with money left over even).
By Bezo Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

Yeah, I remember they were still working on the 4K/Z8. Still killer as is, but yeah, finishing it would make it even that much more of the best sampler ever.

Even better, drop those specs in the X/Live. I still keep my Z4 just in case my sampling/mangling needs call for it.

Hopefully Live batteries are not expensive. I'd trash mine before I spent much on a battery.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Monotremata wrote:Ill go with you! Maybe we can find JJ while we're there and just convince him to start his own company. Would he still get busted for stealing the old Akai's software now?

Ive been watching ads and the local pawn shops like a hawk now hoping I can score one like you did. When I saw your post I screamed and made my girlfriend check it out "WHY DO I NEVER FIND THE DEALS LIKE THIS???" hahaha. Scary that Im actually considering its time to let my old Marshall head go since it could buy me a Live (or a 4000/5000 with money left over even).

Sometimes I see them on EBAY for $500 and I look at the feedback, and the account has zero. :lol: Pawn shop used to be good, until eBay and Craigslist. Just keep your eye's open and something will pop up. 2020 name is 4 months away, there's going to be lots of cheap, MPC X's on the market.

Bezo wrote:
Yeah, I remember they were still working on the 4K/Z8. Still killer as is, but yeah, finishing it would make it even that much more of the best sampler ever.

Even better, drop those specs in the X/Live. I still keep my Z4 just in case my sampling/mangling needs call for it.

Hopefully Live batteries are not expensive. I'd trash mine before I spent much on a battery.

I saw replacements for $250 but now I can't find them.
By Menco Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 am
Monotremata wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:I'm about to go to JAPAN and request the 4000 OS. :lol:

Ill go with you! Maybe we can find JJ while we're there and just convince him to start his own company. Would he still get busted for stealing the old Akai's software now?

I’ll join the fellowship too! That’s going to be some CLASSIC Goonies shit!

‘The adventures of Charles Randolph and co.: the quest for the lost OS’
By Monotremata Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 am
Theres a bunch of 4000s on eBay right now for under $1000 but yeah Ill have to keep my eye out on the sellers haha. I got all excited I found a 5000 on the local Craigslist tonight right here in town and then I saw the $800 price hah. I looked down at the Studio Black I paid $180 for and went 'yeah already got that one taken care of'. Somebody was asking $800 for a 2500 even HUH? Should be easy to score a 4000 if I go that route. I think I should probably avoid the 5000. Ive already got what its got in the software, and the 5000 is never going to get any more.. At least we still got 3.0 to look forward to here. Damn that reminds me, its already August I gotta start fishing out who's gonna give me free passes to NAMM this year haha. I was stoked in 2018 my badge says 'LANEY AMPLIFICATION' on it, I was totally metal all weekend.
By dryad-66 Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 am
Monotremata wrote:Theres a bunch of 4000s on eBay right now for under $1000 but yeah Ill have to keep my eye out on the sellers haha. I got all excited I found a 5000 on the local Craigslist tonight right here in town and then I saw the $800 price hah. I looked down at the Studio Black I paid $180 for and went 'yeah already got that one taken care of'. Somebody was asking $800 for a 2500 even HUH? Should be easy to score a 4000 if I go that route. I think I should probably avoid the 5000. Ive already got what its got in the software, and the 5000 is never going to get any more.. At least we still got 3.0 to look forward to here. Damn that reminds me, its already August I gotta start fishing out who's gonna give me free passes to NAMM this year haha. I was stoked in 2018 my badge says 'LANEY AMPLIFICATION' on it, I was totally metal all weekend.

The 5000 is its own beast.It hits heavy and the effects,filters ect altho crossed over to the software,live and X are gritty and raw (in comparison)Things do sound big and solid coming from the 5k.Altho now im happy with the `Ren and MPC 1000 for the grit/lofi ness.And the MPC 2000 for that OG feel.They all got something happening altho im not a fan of the LIVE/X sound ultimately.Had them both.So X is not a future classic to me.Great all round sample/synth workstation tho.But prefer the REN with software there on the laptop 8)
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:17 am
Menco wrote:I’ll join the fellowship too! That’s going to be some CLASSIC Goonies ****!
‘The adventures of Charles Randolph and co.: the quest for the lost OS’

One Eyed Willy, will turn over the GOLD OS or I'm going full KILL BILL!

Monotremata wrote:Theres a bunch of 4000s on eBay right now for under $1000 but yeah Ill have to keep my eye out on the sellers haha. I got all excited I found a 5000 on the local Craigslist tonight right here in town and then I saw the $800 price hah.

There was a MPC 5000 Brand new on the curb. When I walked by it had a note that read, HEY CHARLES RANDOLPH this 5000 is for you. I picked it up, walked to the nearest trash can to throw it away. But there was a note on the trash can, that said, "Hey Charles Randolph, don't put that crappy 5000 in here, go sale it on Craigslist for 800 dollars." :lol:

Monotremata wrote: I looked down at the Studio Black I paid $180 for and went 'yeah already got that one taken care of'. Somebody was asking $800 for a 2500 even HUH? Should be easy to score a 4000 if I go that route. I think I should probably avoid the 5000. Ive already got what its got in the software, and the 5000 is never going to get any more..At least we still got 3.0 to look forward to here.

That's how I look at SP1200. I'm like you want 5K for this. I'll give you $150 and a handshake.

Monotremata wrote:Damn that reminds me, its already August I gotta start fishing out who's gonna give me free passes to NAMM this year haha. I was stoked in 2018 my badge says 'LANEY AMPLIFICATION' on it, I was totally metal all weekend.

I skipped last year, because everything was a small desktop, euro rack piece. :nod:
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm
dryad-66 wrote:
Monotremata wrote:Theres a bunch of 4000s on eBay right now for under $1000 but yeah Ill have to keep my eye out on the sellers haha. I got all excited I found a 5000 on the local Craigslist tonight right here in town and then I saw the $800 price hah. I looked down at the Studio Black I paid $180 for and went 'yeah already got that one taken care of'. Somebody was asking $800 for a 2500 even HUH? Should be easy to score a 4000 if I go that route. I think I should probably avoid the 5000. Ive already got what its got in the software, and the 5000 is never going to get any more.. At least we still got 3.0 to look forward to here. Damn that reminds me, its already August I gotta start fishing out who's gonna give me free passes to NAMM this year haha. I was stoked in 2018 my badge says 'LANEY AMPLIFICATION' on it, I was totally metal all weekend.

The 5000 is its own beast.It hits heavy and the effects,filters ect altho crossed over to the software,live and X are gritty and raw (in comparison)Things do sound big and solid coming from the 5k.Altho now im happy with the `Ren and MPC 1000 for the grit/lofi ness.And the MPC 2000 for that OG feel.They all got something happening altho im not a fan of the LIVE/X sound ultimately.Had them both.So X is not a future classic to me.Great all round sample/synth workstation tho.But prefer the REN with software there on the laptop 8)

I never tried a 5000, but I never thought new Mpc sounds gritty and raw at all.
And actually I really like Akai filters on new Mpc, also distortions and compressors.
I know, its very subjective, but I cannot say Mpc sounds not good.
I am actually surprised when I record it through a Mackie Mixer preamp how powerful is it.
And check the track that Monotremata put on internet, it is unmastered so it' s the raw sound of Mpc. Its very good sounding in my opinion
By dryad-66 Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:30 pm
There was a MPC 5000 Brand new on the curb. When I walked by it had a note that read, HEY CHARLES RANDOLPH this 5000 is for you. I picked it up, walked to the nearest trash can to throw it away. But there was a note on the trash can, that said, "Hey Charles Randolph, don't put that crappy 5000 in here, go sale it on Craigslist for 800 dollars." :lol:

$600-$700 is about the right price for a 5000 in good condition.

-
By dryad-66 Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:49 pm
never tried a 5000, but I never thought new Mpc sounds gritty and raw at all.
And actually I really like Akai filters on new Mpc, also distortions and compressors.
I know, its very subjective, but I cannot say Mpc sounds not good.
I am actually surprised when I record it through a Mackie Mixer preamp how powerful is it.
And check the track that Monotremata put on internet, it is unmastered so it' s the raw sound of Mpc. Its very good sounding in my opinion

Well maybe try it one day.Its pretty raw and loud.In a bad way and in a good way.But it certainly has an attitude,different from the 1000 and 2500.Its when you started tweaking and filtering ectect that there little quirks and character add up.The X and Live are great.There's not a 'best' or a 'bad' mpc out there.Just ones that you gel with.Its the low quality elements that i like :shock: