MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:54 pm
dryad-66 wrote:
never tried a 5000, but I never thought new Mpc sounds gritty and raw at all.
And actually I really like Akai filters on new Mpc, also distortions and compressors.
I know, its very subjective, but I cannot say Mpc sounds not good.
I am actually surprised when I record it through a Mackie Mixer preamp how powerful is it.
And check the track that Monotremata put on internet, it is unmastered so it' s the raw sound of Mpc. Its very good sounding in my opinion

Well maybe try it one day.Its pretty raw and loud.In a bad way and in a good way.But it certainly has an attitude,different from the 1000 and 2500.Its when you started tweaking and filtering ectect that there little quirks and character add up.The X and Live are great.There's not a 'best' or a 'bad' mpc out there.Just ones that you gel with.Its the low quality elements that i like :shock:

Yeah one day I would like to try the older Mpc, very curious about them.
The point is they are too limited in terms of memory for me, and I like new Mpc sound.
Maybe I will rent them for a day or ask to some friend to borrow one for a day but unfortunately my friends are still all inside daws and computer and look at me like a crazy alien because I switched to standalone machines
By Eyalc Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:07 pm
I had a 5000. I can confirm it was a mess. Sporadic errors (catastrophic, system reset and lose all of my work) that couldn't be reliably repeated (at least for my unit). The midi jitter was the biggest PITA for me. Limited outputs, etc. Just couldn't use it reliably. I managed to get an album done using it as part of the process, but did quite a bit of the work in Logic. Sold it when the Ren came out - not to fund buying a Ren, but to take advantage of everyone that rolled their eyes at the Ren and wanted to "cop the last hardware MPC Akai would ever make", or so I heard people say.

Anyway, the 5000 will go down as one of the biggest missed opportunities IMO.

And the 4000 - I understand that Nukai doesn't have rights to the software IP, just the naming.
By dryad-66 Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:38 pm
Eyalc wrote:I had a 5000. I can confirm it was a mess. Sporadic errors (catastrophic, system reset and lose all of my work) that couldn't be reliably repeated (at least for my unit). The midi jitter was the biggest PITA for me. Limited outputs, etc. Just couldn't use it reliably. I managed to get an album done using it as part of the process, but did quite a bit of the work in Logic. Sold it when the Ren came out - not to fund buying a Ren, but to take advantage of everyone that rolled their eyes at the Ren and wanted to "cop the last hardware MPC Akai would ever make", or so I heard people say.

Anyway, the 5000 will go down as one of the biggest missed opportunities IMO.

And the 4000 - I understand that Nukai doesn't have rights to the software IP, just the naming.

The last 5k i used had no big problems altho once it would not let me save to the hard drive,I know there was a mixed lot out there. other than that it did not glitch once !!! .Anyway i do find it odd when poeple cant describe its better points.Just say its a bad faliure lol.Midi jitter check,sparodic glitches?check.Nothing good to say?check

i'll get my coat :smoker:
By Cockdiesel Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:59 pm
Shouldn’t that copywriter be expiring in a few years? Isn’t that the issue with what behringer did with copying old synths-?

I’m just taking a wild guess here.
Not sure what possibilities it may offer.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:12 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Shouldn’t that copywriter be expiring in a few years? Isn’t that the issue with what behringer did with copying old synths-?

I’m just taking a wild guess here.
Not sure what possibilities it may offer.

Behringer also copied Boss pedals circuit and design that weren't expired at all, it was sued for that and had to change the design but not the circuit board because apparently there is no copyright for that.
Same with Mackie Onyx.
Now they wany to clone Dreadbox Erebus which was built in the last 10 years and Dreadbox is a small company that relies on every single sell they make.
That's Behringer.
Not to mention that they sued 20 GS users for being critics with them but fortunately they lost the trial
By Monotremata Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 pm
Behringer is in trouble with the big R themselves. The 808 clone just had to be renamed AGAIN apparently to the RD-8 now, and Roland may very well be going after the fact that they straight up ripped off the look of the 808 itself. I think the case is JUST now getting underway and its been filed in Germany of all place right in Behringer's face. They may have actually **** up big time by doing this, as great as we all thought it was gonna be heh. These weren't an old Sequential or long dead Oberheim or anything, they went for Roland's most iconic pieces of gear and Roland is straight up thermo-nuclear Godzilla over it.

Man I keep looking at that ad for the 5000 hah. The guy is literally like 5 minutes down the street from me. Its $900 so I was off but says it was a spare from a studio and has maxed memory and an SSD. Thing looks killer in all the pics. ARGH. I could easily get $1200 for my Marshall but man, thats my Marshall. Honestly at this point, its been 10 years since its seen a stage and Im only ever going to play it at home and a Marshall half stack isn't really a bedroom kinda amp. Ive got plenty of others, that one is just THE ONE.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:56 pm
Monotremata wrote:Behringer is in trouble with the big R themselves. The 808 clone just had to be renamed AGAIN apparently to the RD-8 now, and Roland may very well be going after the fact that they straight up ripped off the look of the 808 itself. I think the case is JUST now getting underway and its been filed in Germany of all place right in Behringer's face. They may have actually **** up big time by doing this, as great as we all thought it was gonna be heh. These weren't an old Sequential or long dead Oberheim or anything, they went for Roland's most iconic pieces of gear and Roland is straight up thermo-nuclear Godzilla over it.

Man I keep looking at that ad for the 5000 hah. The guy is literally like 5 minutes down the street from me. Its $900 so I was off but says it was a spare from a studio and has maxed memory and an SSD. Thing looks killer in all the pics. ARGH. I could easily get $1200 for my Marshall but man, thats my Marshall. Honestly at this point, its been 10 years since its seen a stage and Im only ever going to play it at home and a Marshall half stack isn't really a bedroom kinda amp. Ive got plenty of others, that one is just THE ONE.

I hope Roland will win the trial and Behringer stops copying stuff without paying the projects and sell them for half price.
This way of behaving is wicked and totally unfair.
don't get hypnotised by ads ah ah.
I also was hypnotized by an sp404sx just to realise it was not what I needed but fortunately I sold it back for the same price.
Sometimes I have to be careful with this devices addiction ahah
By dryad-66 Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:01 pm
Im guilty of buying things only when i can sell them again with no loss or not much .Or even make something of course.Basically been doing this constantly for 23 years.Free gear since 1996 pretty much.Altho i do upgrade and trouble shoot ect before selling on.All good.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 pm
dryad-66 wrote:Im guilty of buying things only when i can sell them again with no loss or not much .Or even make something of course.Basically been doing this constantly for 23 years.Free gear since 1996 pretty much.Altho i do upgrade and trouble shoot ect before selling on.All good.

Yeah same here.
Buying and selling all the time for same price.
My only mistake was a Roland Bitrazer that its still on sale since a year and nobody wants it.
By Monotremata Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 pm
Ouch a whole year??? Damn Ive had a Nord Micro Modular thats been up on Reverb and Craigslist for like 3 months now and not one person interested yet. That money is going towards the MPC fund too, but still waiting haha. Bet if I threw my Microwave up it would go quick but naaaaaah that one will always be here, the Blofeld would go first hah.
By Cockdiesel Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:12 pm
I go through alot of gear too. Am also addicted to effects. Mostly rack mount though. Although I go in phases, it was pedals for while, latley it's been real nice effects racks and cheapish digital synths.
I've noticed it's all about timing when trying to sell off gear. Have a Force I will more than likely sell but ebay and guitar center has a ton of them some under 1000.00. So it's a great time to buy one. In general it seems gear has got real cheap this summer. I have what I need so it can wait, might be cool to see what the future holds for it.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:52 pm
The key is to buy gear, make music, make money from the music. Sell gear cheap so it's not sitting around taking up space. Also use the gear purchase, as a tax write off for your business.

Also buy gear, that is robust and has the potential to be long standing staple in your setup. Get what will improve your sound. Don't give in to the gear lust. :lol:
By robleighton22 Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:27 am
Frisbi wrote:I hope Roland will win the trial and Behringer stops copying stuff without paying the projects and sell them for half price.
This way of behaving is wicked and totally unfair.
don't get hypnotised by ads ah ah.
I also was hypnotized by an sp404sx just to realise it was not what I needed but fortunately I sold it back for the same price.
Sometimes I have to be careful with this devices addiction ahah

To be fair, the RD8 has enough new features to set it appart from the original 808. It is way more advanced in terms of the sequencer and has additional fx and filter. In theory, the Miami is a much closer attempt to fully copy. Even tho behringer lack no shame in trying to be the king cloners.
By Ill-Green Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:52 am
40Beatz wrote:clas·sic
/ˈklasik/

adjective, adjective: classic

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
synonyms: definitive, authoritative;

Good Old Fashion Classic Dictionary Quote :lol:

How many other STANDALONE Drum Machines have Touch Screens, Sampler, Multiple Ins & Outs, etc

Waiting.... :lol:

Toraiz SP-16, DJS-1000, BlackBox...
By Monotremata Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 am
robleighton22 wrote:To be fair, the RD8 has enough new features to set it appart from the original 808. It is way more advanced in terms of the sequencer and has additional fx and filter. In theory, the Miami is a much closer attempt to fully copy. Even tho behringer lack no shame in trying to be the king cloners.

Yeah I think some humility would go a long way towards people accepting Behringer. I mean if you think about it, theyre not doing anything different than anyone else with their clones of old guitar pedals (how many **** times can you make a god damn Big Muff?? IT STILL SUCKS), synth filters, oscillators, etc.. Even the Nava, Yocto, etc with the TR's and the Cyclones.. The problem is, Behringer comes out going 'HAHA ROLAND WE DID AN ANALOG 808 AND YOU DIDNT CHECK OUT WHAT ELSE WERE GONNA DO TOO!!' looking like an idiot thief, when he could be playing it cool and simply saying 'We understand what you guys have been asking for so here's our modern updated take on a classic'. Nope they even have to rub it further in everyone's faces when they flat out steal the design too. Everybody I know with a Model D loves the thing but come on Uli, did you really not have enough creativity to do more than just rip off the Minimoog's panel too?