MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By lordradish Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:21 am
I have a sequence where the some of the notes are played a bit before the downbeat, slightly anticipated. Is there a way to have a note start before the sequence (I think this is called 'pre-roll') so, when it loops around to the beginning, it will play the first note slightly anticipated? I know I can do this in Ableton.

Thanks.
By marctronixx Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:35 pm
I *think* I’m doing what you are askin’. I just add a pattern wit those notes on it. In my old days when i only had the s950, I would just trigger then manually THEN start the sequencer. :P
By Bezo Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:23 pm
lordradish wrote:But say it's a long note... it will retrigger, not continue the note, right?
If I'm understand, there's a setting in preferences, I forget where, that you want to set to "play as recorded" or something like that. The other 2 options are "to end of sequence" and something similar.

Play as recorded should play the full duration of that note at the end of the sequence even when it loops.
By DeaDeus Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:35 am
Bezo wrote:
lordradish wrote:But say it's a long note... it will retrigger, not continue the note, right?
If I'm understand, there's a setting in preferences, I forget where, that you want to set to "play as recorded" or something like that. The other 2 options are "to end of sequence" and something similar.

Play as recorded should play the full duration of that note at the end of the sequence even when it loops.

The end of a sequence makes only sense if you need this every-time you rotate through the sequence (old school: verse, chorus, middle-part)
If it is needed only once (e.g. as intro of a song) I do it as explained above: add a short sequence at the beginning. I use this pre-roll (intro) also to set voices and other parameter for external gadgets (synths, vocoder, midi-controlled effects, etc.) and most important of all, to overcome the MIDI timing issue at the start of a song of the MPC. Explanation: the MPC sends out only a steady midi-clock if the MPC is running. Other hardware is sending out a constant MIDI clockl.
There seem to be only one AKAI machine which had a steady midi-clock, I read it somewhere but can't remember which one it was.....