MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:08 pm
Danoc wrote::lol: Me too. How you liking that new Air reverb? I find myself using it on my claps, snares or percussion. I love tje tail it displays when l set it up.

Frisbi wrote:I am an effect addicted

I haven't tried very many of the Air plugins yet, do those have GUIs yet? I can't stand using the Akai reverbs because they still have no damn GUI in the software, just those pink bars hah. I just deal with any delay and throw Little Plate on a bus instead. Tried using the Waves Abbey Road Plates once. One instance of it brought the MPC Software to its knees on my hex core Mac Pro heh.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:16 pm
@ monotremata

Forget about Akai reverb, it's maybe the worst reverb I ever tried.
There is also an Air Reverb on Mpc after 2.4 and it's not that bad, it's actually fine for me when I put a modulation before it and when I experiment with other fx before it.
Give it a try.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:40 pm
Danoc wrote::lol: Me too. How you liking that new Air reverb? I find myself using it on my claps, snares or percussion. I love tje tail it displays when l set it up.

Frisbi wrote:I am an effect addicted

I like Air reverb if chained with other fx like modulations or autofilters or whatever comes to your mind.
Alone it's a bit sterile but anyway it makes its job well.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:02 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:I like Air reverb if chained with other fx like modulations or autofilters or whatever comes to your mind.
Alone it's a bit sterile but anyway it makes its job well.

Do you EQ your reverb?

Yes. I also use the lpf and hpf quite a lot from its second screen
By Danoc Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:43 pm
Nah we got the new Air joints in 2.5 I believe, I have 2.6. They still let you use the old Air effects but the new ones are off the chain imo. I use standalone, I don't use the software to much, but I know how to use it if need be. GUI? Ummm well, they have a lil color back ground in all the effects, if that matters. They look cool, but I am more concentrated on the functionality ratter than aesthetics. When I want that sweet reverb sound on my snares, or claps or snaps, I go to the Air effect reverbs. I can put a perfect tail on it. It's easy when using the QLink knobs to dial in the tail.

Monotremata wrote:
I haven't tried very many of the Air plugins yet, do those have GUIs yet? I can't stand using the Akai reverbs because they still have no damn GUI in the software, just those pink bars hah. I just deal with any delay and throw Little Plate on a bus instead. Tried using the Waves Abbey Road Plates once. One instance of it brought the MPC Software to its knees on my hex core Mac Pro heh.
By Danoc Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:This monster MPC, with the spec bump, would have a Convolution Reverb, where you can load your own impulse response.

I've done that with Reason's Convolution Reverb, the R7000MKII, that is a dope reverb. I have made my own impulses for that from different places. Take my Tascam field recorder and go to work! It's amazing!

@Frisbi, It doesn't sound sterile to me. I don't have to chain another with it to get to sound great.
By Unreallystic Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:44 pm
I echo the aforementioned "PasS". Maybe tonight I'll draw up something, but just being large is not good, especially with that kind of shape. OP compared the MPC X to the equipment posted, but a 7" width difference is HUGE, the Live is only like 16", that's almost half the size of that. Bigger is not better - just look at opinions between the Maschine Studio and MAschine MK3. Efficiency is the game.

For a large format MPC, the X is pretty solid, changes should just be "tweaks".

If I wanted to deconstruct and reassemble the MPC X, I would actually model it after the Live, having the large format screen more accessible than it is now. I am a Live user, and when I finally got to log a little time with the X, I got frustrated with the screen, I felt I had to reach to use the screen, as an X user its most likely nothing, as a Live user, it made me not want to use the screen, as well, with the screen being bigger, the distance changes the perception to it being practically the same size as the Live, I didn't see the "value" of the larger screen in the current format.

Take the Live format, Increase the depth, increase the screen size further to a "base" ipad (landscape). Turn the (4) Q-Links to (16). Relocate buttons that are currently under the screen to over it. This would change the format to one where the screen is semi-centered to the user, Q-links to the right, Pads to the left. Larger screen would have increased sensitivity and support styluses, allowing for easier "note drawing". Shape would be similar to a keyboard, making it easy to find bags and flight cases for it. New dimensions mean a flatter profile as well, not quite MPC Studio thinness, due to HDD add-on, but possibly cutting it in half.

But I know this isn't what people expect from an MPC. I've just had my nose in FL Studio and Ableton more lately, and the piano roll in FL Studio makes life so easy. I look at my issues with the Live, namely chords, I'm either stuck with additional equipment - devaluing the portability of the Live, or I'm using the performance mode, which leaves a lot to desire from an efficiency stand point. Drawing in notes fixes that, but I wouldn't dare try to draw in notes on the Live as is now.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm
Personally, I like studio gear, that has some weight to it. They always feel like serious studio pieces. I'm not really into the, on the go production. I create where my speaker are, where I know the room, and where headphones are only for recording and A/B testing. :lol:

I have Akai Dps 24 as a back up mixer/recorder and the measurements are pretty close, minus the depth.

Width: 28 inches
Height: 7.5 inches
Depth: 23 incles
Weight: 40lbs

lordradish wrote:Considering I have zero interest in DJ'ing, I'd buy a Live, instead.

Not the layout, but the size format. It wouldn't look anything like that. :lol:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mr_debauch Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:09 pm
i used to do a lot of field recording, and i would make my own convolution impulses from recordings done in places with crazy natural reverb to see how it could work on dry sounds... kind of fun, often it made it into songs more out of principle rather than necessity...

I always thought a music production beat making MPC style thing in a multi track recorder setting would be cool... but zoom sort of did that with a few of the R series recorders... never tried them, but the videos on the sampler and that really did not look fun at all. I mean these samplers always have a ton of analog outputs... but they never have an 8 input card to go with your 4 midi outputs so you can sequence external gear but have it all coming in to the same hardware to mix and record at the same time.