MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Awizerk Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:47 pm
Hello to the mpc community ! I wanted to share with the community my thoughts and experiences on the mpcx. Any advise or input would be most appreciated. A month ago i bought the mpcx and this was the first time i ever used one. Coming from fl studio and logic pro my first week was brutal with the x literally almost gave up .but by the 2nd week i started geetting use to the work flow and by the 3rd week i have fallen in love with the unit i am actually having fun making beats again .
I purchased this machine from guitar center for $1650 in total used no box which im bummed about .no usb3.0 cable . =( . I am Not sure if this was a good deal.i dont have usb 3.0 on my mac pro 2012 will this still work for me ? How do i go about getting the software installed since its used ?
I feel like they can make the operating system better though. It is hard to get a clear view of the song as a whole for example in logic or protools it looks alot more organized and easier to see the song at once. Though i havent been on the software yet .. the browsing of the folders and sound needs to be fixed . one problem im having is with the pads im not understanding how the pad setting work and how to adjust them because Some instrument sounds arent responding properly. And it feels like i have to overly hit the pads i wish it could be more touch sensitive and responsive. One thing thats killing me and will have a cow if i find out that its not here is i cant find how to see the name of the keys on grid mode . im trying to learn how to make a certain style of beats on youtube and the mpcx is not showing me the name of each key. this is making me waste alot of time figuring out which key is which. When tryng to make my own chords and scales my mpc came with version 2.2.1
I kinda like that the mpcx is expensive it makes it more exclusive and rare to have only small group of people will have it .
Any advice for getting effects that gives that lil skies type sound thats dreamy cloudy happy fun childhood playland toysreminiscing sound lol ?
Really excited on being part of the community and getting the best out this machine thanks for your time and have a great day !
By saltmcgault Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:59 pm
Awizerk wrote: And it feels like i have to overly hit the pads i wish it could be more touch sensitive and responsive.

In the top left corner on the X there's a button "under the A bank button" called FULL LEVEL. That turns off the touch velocity sensitivity on the pads. That was my go to button when I first purchased the mpc2500. :lol:
By Cockdiesel Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:35 pm
lots of questions there... do yourself a favor and get the MPC Live/X Bible should be an add on the top of the screen. this will help more than any of us can.

make sure it's updated to the latest OS. they have been doing updates, and to touch on your issue it seems there might be an "arrangement" feature being added sometime soon.

as for your keyboard issues. find a midi keyboard. maybe even one that runs on usb. I use the keystep and it's great. Highly recommended. powers off usb and has an arp and sequencer of it's own.

just take it a few small steps at a time and it will be a fun machine for you. It's a different workflow that making them on the computer but the hands on approach is really worthwhile.
By Awizerk Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:16 am
saltmcgault wrote:
Awizerk wrote: And it feels like i have to overly hit the pads i wish it could be more touch sensitive and responsive.

In the top left corner on the X there's a button "under the A bank button" called FULL LEVEL. That turns off the touch velocity sensitivity on the pads. That was my go to button when I first purchased the mpc2500. :lol:

Thanks .. frfr felt like i was on a one way street to carpal tunnel anrd arthritis lane across thr street from cripplesville !

Cockdiesel wrote:lots of questions there... do yourself a favor and get the MPC Live/X Bible should be an add on the top of the screen. this will help more than any of us can.

as for your keyboard issues. find a midi keyboard. maybe even one that runs on usb. I use the keystep and it's great. Highly recommended. powers off usb and has an arp and sequencer of it's own.

I just got the bible ... lots of good stuff here still no sign if i can view the key names on gridview . Anyone know if komple kontrol m32 will work on the mpcx ?
By Monotremata Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 am
If its been sitting this whole time, the best thing you can do for the pads is to keep playing that thing constantly. If its got the same pads the Studio has, mine took about two months of playing with the thing every day before they got to where I can leave it at the default sensitivity now and get things done. I had the thing all the way up and just recently realized at some point it had reset itself back to default and I didnt even notice the difference. When you're sitting around watching tv or something mash on the pads if you have it close. Thats what I did. If I was sitting on the computer playing on the internet, the Studio is right here on a stand so I just kept hitting each pad over and over a little each time I was at it.

I came from Logic to the MPC too (Im using the software so..). Until you get the hang of it, you can always look at a sequence as an entire song in Logic. They dont have to be 2/4/8 bars. Ive done entire songs in one big 120 bar sequence. Im actually just the opposite though. The wide open playing field of Logic actually slowed me down and distracted me. The MPC helps me focus because I have to look at a song in sections now instead of haphazardly going after an unclear end goal in Logic. I have to keep a clearer picture in my head of where I want the song to go, and more importantly now I have to start with a more cohesive idea to begin with (because cleaning up programs and samples you dont end up using in a project SUCKS heh). Gotten more finished work done in 3 months with the MPC than I have in 3 years with Logic. It wasnt overnight, Ive used the MPC before years ago, and even used the software back when it first came out. It took until this May to 'get it' and now Im a total convert. Im about ready to abandon Logic now, and once we get PDC and a little more support for third party plugs, its looking like I wont really need it at all anymore.