Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:50 pm
vout wrote:Does anyone know for sure if this really samples/plays back at 12-bit, or is the hardware all 24-bit with some DSP 12-bit emulation. I've seen the 1200/2400 comparison video and I can hear a difference.

islainstruments wrote:Boo! :)

Ask this member.
By mr_debauch Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:56 pm
i think it is 24 ADC but it probably can sample at 12... i will assume it plays samples at the rate it's sampled in that then gets DAC. the bitrate is credited for way more than it actually does IMO.
By tapedeck Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:07 am
mr_debauch wrote:the bitrate is credited for way more than it actually does IMO.

so true

dont get hung up on the numbers. having said that, from what i have heard the devs say, they actually kinda know what they're doing and trying to emulate, and i think it will have a nice and unique sound.
By peterpiper Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:08 pm
^^ ??? display upside down?

tapedeck wrote:dont get hung up on the numbers. having said that, from what i have heard the devs say, they actually kinda know what they're doing and trying to emulate, and i think it will have a nice and unique sound.

I don't wanna hate anymore on that product but your comment and the upside down display after it was kind of funny :)

It probably really do have a reason for that I just don't know..

peace
By sbtst6 Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 am
vout wrote:Does anyone know for sure if this really samples/plays back at 12-bit, or is the hardware all 24-bit with some DSP 12-bit emulation. I've seen the 1200/2400 comparison video and I can hear a difference.

Seen the same video.. Thought it was only me, But I can also hear a difference!

I own and use the Sp1200 pretty heavy. Im just waiting for an official physical product on wether to invest into purchasing one. After hearing the difference in the sound from videos, now im actually curious how the samples will feel when i press the pad for play back. The only other machines that i have used and owned that come close sound and feel wise are Emax and ASR10. The Simplicity, Sound, and Workflow are why i cant leave the SP1200 alone!
By mr_debauch Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 am
i haven't kept up with it at all recently... but at this point I don't get why anyone is already spending cash on a product that we don't know anything about...

you want info on workflow? you are told it's influenced by sp-1200 workflow.. great that is real awesome to know... especially for most people who never tried one. and last time i looked at stuff on this machine it looks like the guy at that time was really into the boss rc-505 looper (which is a great piece) so he decided to add that type of functionality into the machine... so we have a few different potential workflow paths to take. great. but it would be nice to see how the thing is used before spending cash.

you want to figure out what this thing does that is different from other products we all know about? not sure there is any real info out there... it has pads, so like many products, you can assume you can record sequences.. which then raises the question on how the sequencer works.. especially when we also have live looping.

at this point all i have seen is, this is his take on a modern sp-1200... with workflow like that.... but it is not a 1200 clone.. it is a new idea that borrows from the 1200... if you know the 1200 you will sort of know what the 2400 is like... except with added things.. look at the pics of us building one.
By saltmcgault Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:29 am
I think what isla instruments is doing is pretty dope. Building off the sp-1200 sound with the same features along with some new ones and a lot more memory to work with? Sounds pretty cool to me. I pre-ordered one. I’m down to support the cause. He’s been documenting the process pretty thoroughly and I’ve liked what i’ve seen so far. I’ll give you guys an update when i get mine. :nod: :lol:
By peterpiper Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:25 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
you want info on workflow? you are told it's influenced by sp-1200 workflow.. great that is real awesome to know... especially for most people who never tried one.

I don't think that this thing will end up with the SP1200 workflow. How can someone copy the workflow without also copy the limitations. As soon as more features are added the workflow is different.

peace
By Ill-Green Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 pm
^^^Agreed, and by the looks, it has a step sequencer. Or it could be two extra pads above the main eight pads. So there is a workflow difference.

I don't think this is a clone but an improvement/advancement over the 1200. Everything you wished it had kinda deal but this guy is making a thought into reality.

I still wanna see it at full blast :nod:
By islainstruments Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:55 pm
Sorry I don't pop in here too often, it's hard enough keeping my own pages updated as I work and progress.

to the guy asking about 12-bit. Tbh, the bit depth of a machine does not really have all that much bearing on the tonal quality. Bit Depth (not bitrate, that's completely unrelated and to do with streaming) governs the amount of different between really quiet and really loud and how many steps of that are in between.

We sample and playback at 24-bit. but if we're in 12-bit mode, we literally just ignore the 4 least significant bits of information (LSB) in every byte. this doesn't do any 'emulation' it true '12-bit'

In terms of sample rate, we're the same, and what in fact made the OG 'crunchy' 'crystalline' etc was in fact aliasing brought about by the fact there was no 'interpolation' or 'rounding' of information in between samples, in this case, a sample being 1 of 26,040 slices per second of audio recorded. Since we're reproducing sound in exactly the same way, that part of it isn't really an 'emulation' the method is exactly the same.

The screen was upside down, because that was a 'revision 2' board, different to the first, because the OLED screen mounts 180deg out compared to the first, but I had just 'brought up' that board and so it was still running rev1 firmware. Nothing more than a slight change of code to turn it all around.

The other thing important to 'the sound' was all the analogue filtering used both on the sample input and cascading fixed filters on 6 of the outputs, some op-amp filtering, and 2 SSM filters.
that is all 1:1 on my device, and I am taking it a step further by making available a daughtercard which will have 8x SSM (SSI these days) filters on it, which will be cool, because we can also do other daughtercards with CEM filters or Moog style filters, for example.

Now, workflow. look carefully at my layout, you will see a lot of similarities, and some extra buttons to speed up certain things, it's my intention that a veteran user will instantly be able to use my machine without needing a manual, and so workflow will be comparable to the OG in that respect.
Yes I've added extra pads etc, and there will be different and 'added' workflows (TR style sequencing is 1 use case for the 16 small pads above the main pads) but the user can choose to use those or not use them..

Lots more info to start drip-feeding soon, it takes time for the software to be developed, while I am hard at work getting the hardware production ready (hence the social posts of all the parts I design along the way)

thanks for the interest!
Brad
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:34 pm
Audio over USB?

islainstruments wrote:Sorry I don't pop in here too often, it's hard enough keeping my own pages updated as I work and progress.

to the guy asking about 12-bit. Tbh, the bit depth of a machine does not really have all that much bearing on the tonal quality. Bit Depth (not bitrate, that's completely unrelated and to do with streaming) governs the amount of different between really quiet and really loud and how many steps of that are in between.

We sample and playback at 24-bit. but if we're in 12-bit mode, we literally just ignore the 4 least significant bits of information (LSB) in every byte. this doesn't do any 'emulation' it true '12-bit'

In terms of sample rate, we're the same, and what in fact made the OG 'crunchy' 'crystalline' etc was in fact aliasing brought about by the fact there was no 'interpolation' or 'rounding' of information in between samples, in this case, a sample being 1 of 26,040 slices per second of audio recorded. Since we're reproducing sound in exactly the same way, that part of it isn't really an 'emulation' the method is exactly the same.

The screen was upside down, because that was a 'revision 2' board, different to the first, because the OLED screen mounts 180deg out compared to the first, but I had just 'brought up' that board and so it was still running rev1 firmware. Nothing more than a slight change of code to turn it all around.

The other thing important to 'the sound' was all the analogue filtering used both on the sample input and cascading fixed filters on 6 of the outputs, some op-amp filtering, and 2 SSM filters.
that is all 1:1 on my device, and I am taking it a step further by making available a daughtercard which will have 8x SSM (SSI these days) filters on it, which will be cool, because we can also do other daughtercards with CEM filters or Moog style filters, for example.

Now, workflow. look carefully at my layout, you will see a lot of similarities, and some extra buttons to speed up certain things, it's my intention that a veteran user will instantly be able to use my machine without needing a manual, and so workflow will be comparable to the OG in that respect.
Yes I've added extra pads etc, and there will be different and 'added' workflows (TR style sequencing is 1 use case for the 16 small pads above the main pads) but the user can choose to use those or not use them..

Lots more info to start drip-feeding soon, it takes time for the software to be developed, while I am hard at work getting the hardware production ready (hence the social posts of all the parts I design along the way)

thanks for the interest!
Brad
By CharlesRandolph Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:07 am
How many channels will possible over USB?
Will it also send MIDI at the same time?
Any possibility of a break box to add more inputs?
What about LAN networking options?
Estimated release of the manual or white sheets?

islainstruments wrote:yes, it's in the works.