Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By moonmaster Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm
Hey dudes, first post, made account to maybe get some help :?

Basically I bought some new SKHHAKA010 tact switches to replace the ancient ones on the MPC60.
So I did that, I think I accidentally plugged the 20pin ribbon cable on backwards from the control board (where the buttons/switches are) to the main board in the bottom, as all three fuses exploded. So I got new fuses, plugged it in right, it would turn on but the OS would not load, it would hang on a blank screen.
So then I thought maybe I **** up the 20 pin cable. so I tested all the lines and tried again, still nothing.
I decided to solder each cable one by one to the control board, while testing, I found that all but the last pin on the right, I suppose the 20th pin, was the culprit, if it is unplugged, the MPC boots up perfectly, all tact buttons work, audio etc. I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT PIN DOES.

So now to the main question, I don't know what it does but it seems to have affected the pads because I now can't make them work without having to push them down heavily. I tried reseating the pad ribbon cable, but still doesn't work right. It used to work perfectly fine before. I think the pad ribbon cable from the pad board to the control board may have gone bad but, I did continuity tests and they all seem to be working.

I was wondering if it's related to that 20th pin that I snipped off or I messed up the pad sensor, so I can order a new one, but don't want to waste my money if it's not that. I'm also thinking of also soldering directly the ribbon cable from the pad board to the control board.

If this made sense, please let me know what I can do to test this.