Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By PREEMOCHANGEDMYLIFE Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:55 am
Yo everyone
Had the MPC2000XL for a couple weeks but just joined this forum.

Basically, I've made a sequence for a verse, this sequence contains 5 piano chops as well as kick, hi hat and snare. Basically, I wanna copy this sequence but then filter all of the samples (cutting out the high end), so that I have something I can use for another section e.g a breakdown or a hook. The thing I am wanting to know, is how do I do this without affecting the samples in the original sequence. :hmmm:

So I would have Sequence 1: A regular verse, not filtered, and then Sequence 2: An exact copy of this verse, with all the notes triggering at the exact same times but simply with the high end cut out. So it sounds something similar to what is explained here about Dilla's Dont Cry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SENzTt3ftiU&t=510s

I'm tryna make this question as clear as possible because last night, I looked over a lot of threads with questions similar to mine on this forum but no one quite seemed to understand what was being asked. Yes, I have checked the manual.

Thanks
By tapedeck Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm
lots of ways to skin this cat.
simplest, copy the program to a new program, filter how you want the sounds. assign this program to a different DRUM slot. copy the sequence. set the sequence to use the new drum slot.

you could also just copy each pad to a new pad bank in the same program, but that will take some work - there are ways to speed it up but i wont go into those. (ok what you'd do is temporarily set your track to midi, do a transpose edit, then switch back to drum - advanced hacking here).

another way is to use 16 levels. set the filter to the lowest point you want, and then in sequences where you want the filter up, add a note variation for each note that sets the filter wide open.
By PREEMOCHANGEDMYLIFE Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:38 pm
tapedeck wrote:lots of ways to skin this cat.
simplest, copy the program to a new program, filter how you want the sounds. assign this program to a different DRUM slot. copy the sequence. set the sequence to use the new drum slot.

you could also just copy each pad to a new pad bank in the same program, but that will take some work - there are ways to speed it up but i wont go into those. (ok what you'd do is temporarily set your track to midi, do a transpose edit, then switch back to drum - advanced hacking here).

another way is to use 16 levels. set the filter to the lowest point you want, and then in sequences where you want the filter up, add a note variation for each note that sets the filter wide open.

Nice one guys, appreciate it. Will hit you up if I go any more questions :worthy: