MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Scherer Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:09 pm
Heya guys, I'm having a project with masses of drums, clips, etc. Now I want to rename them, so that they can be found via tags after being exported into an expansion. So renaming outside my MPC isn't an option, as I'd have to re-import and assign every single sample.

Unfortunately I only find the "Tidy Keygroup Sample Names" function for keygroups, but not drum programs or samples. Is there any other way to batch rename hundreds of samples or would I have to go the hard way with renaming every single one?
By 40Beatz Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:03 pm
if the samples are on External media such as a SD Card, Internal Hard Drive, USB Stick. You should be able to rename them while your MPC is tethered to a computer
By Lampdog Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:51 pm
When you save a project aren't the names remembered? If you start changing names, won't you get "files missing" errors or something like that?
By 40Beatz Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:25 pm
Ooooo I didn't think about that!!!
By Monotremata Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:13 pm
Yeah you'll have to go in and redo every program in the song. Ive done it and had to go redo a couple multi-sampled instruments (stupid software DIDNT rename the samples like I told it to when I sampled it). I still haven't tried converting stuff to mono yet outside the MPC and seeing if it sticks but the sample/bitrate doesn't matter at least heh.

I gotta go look into this Tidy Keygroups function, I didnt even know we had that..
By justineastwick Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 pm
Lampdog wrote:When you save a project aren't the names remembered? If you start changing names, won't you get "files missing" errors or something like that?

Yup, and you have to reassign the files back to the corresponding pads.
By Lampdog Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:59 pm
I've made this mistake before (we were all noobs and/or had noob moments at one point in time). :lol: :lol:

Rename everything you need to rename BEFORE saving project, pgm, aps whatever.