MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By justineastwick Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:28 am
One more question: if I wanted to daisy-chain more than one of these RX1602 mixers together, could I connect the main output of the first RX1602 mixer to INPUT 1/2 of the second RX1602 mixer and/or connect the MON OUT SEND of the first mixer to INPUT 1/2 of the second mixer?

I did the math and I think it’d be more cost effective for me to use these mixers instead of buying the other stereo line mixers that were suggested in the thread. I would be saving about $40-$50 if I were to purchase the RX1602 mixer, splitter and cable.
Last edited by justineastwick on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:58 am
justineastwick wrote:One more question: if I wanted to daisy-chain more than one of these RX1602 mixers together, could I connect the main output of the first RX1602 mixer to INPUT 1/2 of the second RX1602 mixer and/or connect the MON OUT SEND of the first mixer to INPUT 1/2 of the second mixer?

I did the math and I think it’d be more cost-effective for me to use these mixers instead of buying the other stereo line mixers that was suggested in the thread. I would be saving about $25-$50 if I would purchase the RX1602 mixer, splitter and cable.

1. If I had two of these, I would use mixer 1 as a left and mixer 2 for right. (No need to waste a input)
2. Before buying anything, did you get your first setup to work?
3. Save your money and buy a better mixer. Don't buy junk twice.
By justineastwick Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:26 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
justineastwick wrote:One more question: if I wanted to daisy-chain more than one of these RX1602 mixers together, could I connect the main output of the first RX1602 mixer to INPUT 1/2 of the second RX1602 mixer and/or connect the MON OUT SEND of the first mixer to INPUT 1/2 of the second mixer?

I did the math and I think it’d be more cost-effective for me to use these mixers instead of buying the other stereo line mixers that was suggested in the thread. I would be saving about $25-$50 if I would purchase the RX1602 mixer, splitter and cable.

1. If I had two of these, I would use mixer 1 as a left and mixer 2 for right. (No need to waste a input)
2. Before buying anything, did you get your first setup to work?
3. Save your money and buy a better mixer. Don't buy junk twice.

Yup! Works like a charm! The cables worked. I am using the MON OUT SEND from the RX1602 to the LINE input of the MPC Live. I did it this way because I think it’s more convenient if my daughter wants to play the piano - she can do so without having to tamper with my MPC Live. I appreciate all the help!

I don’t think it’s junk though. I actually like it! From the detents and notches in the knobs to the mute button on the front... It’s an awesome mixer for the price I paid for it.

For your first point - could you elaborate? From what I’m getting is that I can use one RX1602 mixer for the LEFT inputs and the other one for the RIGHT inputs of my sound sources? Is this correct?
By Cockdiesel Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:58 am
Not sure exactly what Charles is getting at

But ideally you could have the live,a mixer speakers and other units all in one closed system. Everything centered around the Mpc, even if you want to process audio outside of the Mpc it still comes right back in. Example Mpc out >eq box >mixer> back to Mpc.
There’s alot of options when using the sends or just putting something before the mixer on a channel.

Bringing another mixer will give you the set up you have now plus the setup i mentioned. Just put the main outs of the live to mixing board attached to the speakers.

I don’t think you would need to use the sends like you are mentioning unless you have a specific reason to. I’d suggest getting a mono to stereo effects unit to stick on there. Or just mono to mono if it’s only mono return.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:42 am
justineastwick wrote:I don’t think it’s junk though. I actually like it! From the detents and notches in the knobs to the mute button on the front... It’s an awesome mixer for the price I paid for it.

The inputs on your MPC live are better than your rack mount mixer. If you take it to pawn shop, they will give you 30 bucks for it. That's real talk, nothing personal. Advice I give to beginners. Learn the ins/outs of the gear you have. Then slow buy new gear. BUY IT RIGHT ONCE, don't spend your money low budget gear. Save up and buy something you can grow into.

Cockdiesel wrote:Not sure exactly what Charles is getting at.

With two of those mixer, you can plug the:

- right out the mpc into channel 1 of mixer one
- left side out the mpc into channel 1 of mixer two

This way she would have stereo MONO sends, but it's not worth it.
By justineastwick Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Not sure exactly what Charles is getting at

But ideally you could have the live,a mixer speakers and other units all in one closed system. Everything centered around the Mpc, even if you want to process audio outside of the Mpc it still comes right back in. Example Mpc out >eq box >mixer> back to Mpc.
There’s alot of options when using the sends or just putting something before the mixer on a channel.

Bringing another mixer will give you the set up you have now plus the setup i mentioned. Just put the main outs of the live to mixing board attached to the speakers.

I don’t think you would need to use the sends like you are mentioning unless you have a specific reason to. I’d suggest getting a mono to stereo effects unit to stick on there. Or just mono to mono if it’s only mono return.

Between you and CharlesRandolph, y'all been big help!

I am trying to center everything around my MPC Live. Another question: what graphic equalizer and mono-to-stereo effects unit would you recommend for entry-level users? I looked on Amazon at of the rackmount graphic equalizers; they were in the $130-$160 range. Didn't see anything regarding a mono-to-stereo box (did see a harmonizer) though.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:14 pm
justineastwick wrote:
Cockdiesel wrote:Not sure exactly what Charles is getting at

Between you and CharlesRandolph, y'all been big help!

I am trying to center everything around my MPC Live. Another question: what graphic equalizer and mono-to-stereo effects unit would you recommend for entry-level users? I looked on Amazon at of the rackmount graphic equalizers; they were in the $130-$160 range. Didn't see anything regarding a mono-to-stereo box (did see a harmonizer) though.

If the mpc live is the center, use the effects inside the live. This however requires that the mixer out goes into the mpc lives input. The way you have it setup, your mixer is the centerpiece.
By justineastwick Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:54 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:If the mpc live is the center, use the effects inside the live. This however requires that the mixer out goes into the mpc lives input. The way you have it setup, your mixer is the centerpiece.

Thanks again! I'll look to change my configurations as soon as I get in to see which one I prefer.
By Cockdiesel Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:04 pm
A lot of pedals are mono in stereo out.
I would spend some time with the lives effects and see what would complement them the best for what you have.

Using the sends on the mixer is more or less to affect multiple channels on your mixer at the same time.

Example: your running 3 synths and want them to all be affected with the same reverb. So you set the amount on each channel.
Maybe the lead and bass you just want a touch, but some pads you want more in the background.

I don’t think using the send for a graphic eq would be the most versatile. Unless you want to shape the sound of a buss, but a graphic eq is either mono or two of the same unit stacked for the most part. They can be used to correct a room by applying it on the mains just before the speakers.

I have a graphic eq I use for sound design but i use it as basically another channel strip because I like it better than than what the mixer offers. I run it into a compressor into the board. It’s also a vintage type deal and I wanted to check it out, got it pretty cheap.

You find it easier and better to just forget about using sends and returns etc and see what the Live has to offer sound design wise.
You can get most things done that you will need. I am just a gear slut and like to check out new gear and flip it once I learn it or don’t find it useful.

If you want to see how the sends are suppose to work check out some behringer pedals. You can get them real cheap on reverb or eBay. Just make sure if you get a stereo out pedal that your board has stereo returns