MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By justineastwick Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:41 pm
Specific question regarding MIDI with the MPC Live (or MPC X):

Currently, my MPC and JUNO-DS are connected through the MIDI handshake: I can play the keys on the JUNO-DS with the MPC and the MPC's pads light up when I play the keys on the JUNO-DS.

Let's say if I wanted to add a few more MIDI sound modules to the mix (roughly 3-4 MIDI sound modules) - how would I go about connecting them all in a way where I can play them all from my JUNO-DS and my MPC Live at the same time? I know I would probably need MIDI THRU device, but is what I'm trying to do possible?
By 40Beatz Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 pm
As of right now the X/Live are somewhat limited in the Multi MIDI Timbural side of things. I believe it can be done tho, as far as how you wanna do it.

Your Juno can Control ONE Midi Channel at a time on the Input side of the Live/X.
However The Live/X sequencer should be able to control your Midi Sound Modules on separate channels at the same time (Recorded in a Sequence). I don't think the Juno would be able to control all the other modules at the "same time", GOING THRU THE LIVE/X.

Not Sure how the Juno Midi Implementation is, but you may be able to control the Other Modules, "at the same time", straight from your Juno?
By justineastwick Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:13 pm
40Beatz wrote:As of right now the X/Live is somewhat limited in the Multi MIDI Timbural side of things. I believe it can be done tho, as far as how you wanna do it.

Your Juno can Control ONE Midi Channel at a time on the Input side of the Live/X.
However The Live/X sequencer should be able to control your Midi Sound Modules on separate channels at the same time (Recorded in a Sequence). I don't think the Juno would be able to control all the other modules at the "same time", GOING THRU THE LIVE/X.

Not Sure how the Juno Midi Implementation is, but you may be able to control the Other Modules, "at the same time", straight from your Juno?

Not sure if I can. I know that I can control the various patches from the JUNO-DS straight from my MPC Live from the MSB/LSB/PC functions on the MIDI program menu on the MPC Live. Was hoping I could just add a new MIDI program and do the same with the other sound modules.
By Cockdiesel Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm
Plug your Juno midi out and midi in both to the Mpc. Go into Juno settings turn “local off” set it to channel 1, it will only play the patch’s on the Juno when channel one is selected in a midi program. You also can use the Juno to control your plugins and keygroups when they are the current track on the Mpc. .

Now plug your other midi units in starting from the juno’s Midi through port. Assign those to all their own midi channels starting with channel 2 going up to what ever number you have.
Once this is set up the Mpc and the Juno will be your center for programming.
By justineastwick Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:33 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Plug your Juno midi out and midi in both to the Mpc. Go into Juno settings turn “local off” set it to channel 1, it will only play the patch’s on the Juno when channel one is selected in a midi program. You also can use the Juno to control your plugins and keygroups when they are the current track on the Mpc. .

Now plug your other midi units in starting from the juno’s Midi through port. Assign those to all their own midi channels starting with channel 2 going up to what ever number you have.

Thanks man!
By justineastwick Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:52 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Plug your Juno midi out and midi in both to the Mpc. Go into Juno settings turn “local off” set it to channel 1, it will only play the patch’s on the Juno when channel one is selected in a midi program. You also can use the Juno to control your plugins and keygroups when they are the current track on the Mpc. .

Just checked the back of my JUNO-DS - it doesn't have MIDI THRU, so I'll have to get a MIDI THRU device.
By Bezo Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Was just about to post similar. My Live & Komplete Kontrol control 3 hard synths & virtual synths in Logic with the KK also controlling the Live for stuff I can't play on pads.

Multi-timbral MIDI into the Live is an issue, but out is not limited in any way I'm aware of.

And yeah, there are 2 outs on the Live. Unless your other MIDI instruments lack thrus, you shouldn't need a thru box.
By justineastwick Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:59 pm
Bezo wrote:

Was just about to post similar. My Live & Komplete Kontrol control 3 hard synths & virtual synths in Logic with the KK also controlling the Live for stuff I can't play on pads.

Multi-timbral MIDI into the Live is an issue, but out is not limited in any way I'm aware of.

And yeah, there are 2 outs on the Live. Unless your other MIDI instruments lack thrus, you shouldn't need a thru box.

So, I could just connect a MIDI cable to the second MIDI OUT on the MPC Live and connect the other end of the MIDI cable to the MIDI THRU on my sound module? Would I be able use my JUNO-DS and my MPC Live to play the sound module simultaneously?
By Cockdiesel Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:03 am
yes follow the directions I gave you. the juno will only work as a module but in the midi a port channel one.
everything else will be on the midi b out and whatever channels you select.
the juno withh still control those if you tunr the local off.
I never seen many units w/o a midi thru. thats weird. even my effects rack have midi thru.
By Cockdiesel Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 am
Bezo wrote:

yea I have my "controller" keyboard hooked up to my comp , so I can do my lessons and I just hook my sound card up like i mentioned with the ins and outs to the live.
it's dope. it can get really complex using the live standalone to control a daw, theres way more than enough. but i dont work like that. its just the live and a box or two on my table or couch chillen to actually write.
honestly the mpc live, any synth even ipad, and a h9 pedal is way more than enough for a life time.
By justineastwick Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:05 am
Cockdiesel wrote:yea I have my "controller" keyboard hooked up to my comp , so I can do my lessons and I just hook my sound card up like i mentioned with the ins and outs to the live.
it's dope. it can get really complex using the live standalone to control a daw, theres way more than enough. but i dont work like that. its just the live and a box or two on my table or couch chillen to actually write.
honestly the mpc live, any synth even ipad, and a h9 pedal is way more than enough for a life time.

Okay, cool. Thanks for your help. I’ll do this and let you know how I make out.
By Elektrobolt Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:25 pm
Each MIDI Port is capable of transmitting data using up to 16 MIDI Channels. MIDI Channels is a way to address certain recipients that are currently connected to a Port.

Each device typically have at least one MIDI In Port and one MIDI Out port.

If a device has a MIDI Thru Port, it can participate in a MIDI Chain... Device A MIDI Out to Device B MIDI In then Device B MIDI Thru to device C, etc.

Many devices are capable of using the Out Port as a Thru Port, if it doesn't have one.

Each device in a Chain can be set to receive on a specific MIDI Channel (if it has the capability, and most do).

So the MPC X has 4 MIDI Out Ports, and can therefor send MIDI Events on 64 Channels. I have a lot of MIDI devices and must share some MIDI Channels for more than one device, and for others I have MIDI Switches (sort of like a patch bay) to alternate to which devices receives on which Channel.

The MPC X also has 2 MIDI In Ports, but at present the X cannot differentiate between Ports and Channels from anywhere, or rather, the user interface does not currently show any capability of being able to.

You can setup your MIDI Out Ports today and start using them as described above. You cannot however, transmit information from two different devices to two (or more) other devices connected to the MPC X. All incoming MIDI information is routed to the currently selected track.

Also, Akai is working on "multi-mode" but no one knows exactly what this will mean yet. Well, except possibly Akai personnel. :)