MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kalmplex Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am
Whats up everyone? Long time since I’ve been on this forum however I need some expert advice. I currently have a maschine studio and interested in going back to the Mpc. I have had a few legacy Mpcs over the years to include 2000, 2KXL, and the 2500 and converted to the dark side of maschine when Akai was bought out by numark. My question is does the live sound as good as akai’s legacy mpcs...converters wise? I have searched all over and cannot find a straight up answer. Also has anyone went from maschine to the mpc live and what was your experience like? I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your comments. Thank you!
By back2future Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:15 pm
kalmplex wrote:My question is does the live sound as good as akai’s legacy mpcs...converters wise? I have searched all over and cannot find a straight up answer.

It sounds great.

Feed any sampler a turd nugget and it's going to sound like sh*t.... including the legacy mpc's.
By kalmplex Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 pm
Thanks for the reply...what I meant to say earlier is that maschine sounds too “digital” and I was looking for the “Analogue Mpc” sound. Does the live sound comparable to say the 2KXL?
By starmanwarz Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:00 pm
It sounds nice and clean, no color added to it and it's much better than the 2500's sound, imho. You can however make it sound the way you want it to, there are plenty of options for that. Don't expect it to be gritty like the 60, 3000, sp1200 out of the box though, you are going to have to work to achieve similar sound.
By MaScHiNeHeAd Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 pm
@Kalmplex:
I'm currently in this situation. While I love Maschine Studo, I can dig the Live's immediacy, especially when in standalone.
The beauty of it (for me), is the fact that I haven't got to wait long for it to fire up, &
I'm off & running, rather than waiting 2-3 mins for my Mac Mini to be ready, & then for Maschine to load...by which time any ideas I do have tend to leak out of my brain....
I too have come from older MPC's (2500 & 500 still have them!!)
Workflow still needs a bit of tlc, but It's very doable!
All said, I really enjoy my Live, I can take it to a friends' house to jam with them, plug a usb keyboard (class compliant) in & I have a synth too!! Dont need the laptop!!
I'd say get one, you'll get a lot of joy from it.
Peace
By djadonis206 Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 pm
I have both and notice the sound quality depends on the samples I'm using.

I run MPC as a stand alone and in controller mode. In either scenario, the samples sound the same.

Maschine's sick though. MPC Live's sick to.

For full on songs, I go with the MPC. Song mode, converting songs to sequences, mutes per pattern. That's it right there.

Maschine's got the plug-ins and browsing. Plus, you can go from 0 to 60 in a heartbeat. It's just when you hit top speed, you stay there. The MPC keeps accelerating.
By kalmplex Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am
Thanks for the honest feedback. I plan on getting the live and keeping the Maschine (for now) until I see what the live is about. Watching a million videos on the live I really like the simplicity of the workflow compared to NI, I just have to put it to test. I like the fact that it's mobile and can take it wherever to lay down some tracks. Now it's just about finding the right price lol...
By back2future Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm
kalmplex wrote:Thanks for the reply...what I meant to say earlier is that maschine sounds too “digital” and I was looking for the “Analogue Mpc” sound. Does the live sound comparable to say the 2KXL?

Breaking it down. If it sounds to "digital". Your choice of Samples, Gain staging and Interface to the computer are all important factors.
By VdeBull Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:42 pm
kalmplex. did you buy the MPC Live in the end? And, does it sound to digital for your taste (as compared to 2KXL)?
I'm currently trying to decide between MPC Live or 2KXL myself...