MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fre$hBreath Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:39 pm

SP2400 Update:

So there'll be a more in-depth update soon.

In a nutshell.

Revision 2 of the UI board is complete, we're testing it now, making notes on the small changes that need to be made for it to be production ready.

As you've already seen, I'm hard at work getting all the physical components together such as enclosures, parts etc.. getting ready for manufacture.

We're now creating the revision 2 Audio engine board. and we've made some hefty changes to this one.

Here's what we're working on for the next version of the board.

- Stereo Line in w/ integrated phono pre-amp (switchable between original analogue input antialiasing filters, or 'direct')

- Stereo Mix out

- Adjacent channels can be 'linked' to play back stereo files.

- High Speed USB, to enable audio i/o over USB (piping audio in/out from a DAW) should also provide high speed transfer between computer and SD card in the machine, so you don't have to remove the card..

-Upgrading processor to the flagship series (should leave penty of room for future ideas and audio dsp fx)

- 1/8" Clock I/O (syncing to volcas and the like)

-Moving to full size SD card (micro SD impractical in a case like this)

- Headphone amp (with its own codec, essentially giving another 2 output channels, so channels can be monitored independently of main output)

- Headers and I/O for Filter Daughtercard. we'll be releasing a full 8 channel SSM (SSI) analogue filter card. Daughtercard for several reasons, 1, it adds a fair bit of cost, and not everyone is bothered about analogue filters. 2, It means we can do cards with different types of filters, 8xCEM or 8xSSI or *Ladder etc..

- Doubling the onboard flash to 256MB (2Gb) mo factory sounds (user replaceable)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/islainstruments/photos/a.1037282209636791/2677609445604051/?type=3&theater
By Lampdog Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 am
:nod: :nod:
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:33 am
well i hope they keep on top of the bugs and glitches... that chord bot suffers from a few bad ones that don't seem to be getting ironed out so far (getting stuck in menus without being able to easily exit or cancel for example) .. this piece is a lot more complicated (or a much more involved system) than the chord bot so it has potential for issues... hopefully they keep on top of this stuff because the 2400 is quite a bit higher in price, and the user base i don't see as being quite as patient as people who are interested in the chord bot or let's say eurorack type experimental products. That stuff is IMO... i'd hate to see the reputations of all the people pre-endorsing this product to get tarnished.
By saltmcgault Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:10 pm
I'm not really digging the rainbow lights on the pads. Hopefully you can set them to 1 color or just turn them off. That will become an annoying eyesore quickly.
By Cockdiesel Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 pm
Pretty sure you can turn them off. This thing seems like a really cool drum machine that you can shape the sounds real quick. However I don’t see it as an alternative for the new mpcs which are focused more on the audio tracks aspect.
Not sure what would be better for sampling than the live that is new right now. This may be quicker and offer some that the new Mpc doesn’t but I don’t see these two being in the same category.
By Fre$hBreath Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:17 am
The SP-2400 is not meant to be a MPC killer, it for those of us who wants an authentic SP-1200 12-Bit sound and experience. No disrespect to the developers at Akai Pro but their SP-1200 effect doesn't have that official aliasing sound that the SP-1200 is famous for. I'm looking forward to putting this next to my ASR-X-Pro and my MPC X and putting those classic sounds into my music...
By Cockdiesel Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:30 am
Dang sounds like a dope setup.

I’m cool with using the live as a drum machine, But depending on your workflow this might be way better for a lot of heads. If you’re just sampling vinyl and want one box( not a computer) to work on this would be perfect for sculpting the sounds.

I am sure it will work fine for sequencing other boxes and synths but I think the closest thing to this out now is a digitakt by electron. Which I expect this thing to blow out the water. Digitakt is cool and all but the live runs laps around it being more of a system in itself. For all intent s and purposes the digitakt is just a sampling drum machine with a crazy sequencer.

I’ve noticed that I like the new mpcs most for working with synths and outboard effects.
They would complement this box as well but require more gear and wouldn’t shine like I think it will making full beats on it.
By Lampdog Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:I think when the SP-2400 drops it going to inspire a creative shift in boom bap music and culture...

That, is a HEAVY prediction.