MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:00 pm
Spec Announcement.
https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files ... _FINAL.pdf

USB-IF Announces Publication of USB4™ Specification

Beaverton, OR, USA – September 3, 2019 – USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), the support organization for the advancement and adoption of USB technology, today announced the publication of the USB4™ specification, a major update to deliver the next-generation USB architecture that complements and builds upon the existing USB 3.2 and USB 2.0 architectures. The USB4 architecture is based on the Thunderbolt™ protocol specification recently contributed by Intel Corporation to the USB Promoter Group. It doubles the maximum aggregate bandwidth of USB and enables multiple simultaneous data and display protocols.

The development of the USB4 specification was first announced in March 2019 by the USB Promoter Group. It is now officially published by USB-IF and available for download at http://www.usb.org.

Key characteristics of the USB4 solution include:
•Two-lane operation using existing USB Type-C® cables and up to 40Gbps operation over 40Gbps certified cables
•Multiple data and display protocols that efficiently share the maximum aggregate bandwidth
•Backward compatibility with USB 3.2, USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt 3

As the USB Type-C connector has evolved into the role as the external display port of many host products, the USB4 specification provides the host the ability to optimally scale allocations for display data flow. Even as the USB4 specification introduces a new underlying protocol, compatibility with existing USB 3.2, USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt 3 hosts and devices is supported; the resulting connection scales to the best mutual capability of the devices being connected. For more information, visit http://www.usb.org.
By EnochLight Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:41 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Spec Announcement.
link and stuff

It means NOTHING for the MPC Live or X, as both of those currently utilize USB 3.0 hardware.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:16 pm
EnochLight wrote:It means NOTHING for the MPC Live or X, as both of those currently utilize USB 3.0 hardware.

USB 3 is only in controller mode, Standalone is USB 2 speeds. Guess we'll have to see, how X/LIVE/Force handles USB 4 ports, considering it had/has connection issues with USB 3.
By mr_debauch Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:12 am
looks good. it means the live still does it's thing but now there is a new USB for other stuff around the house. I guess it will be interfacing with the CPU via a PCI express lane.. wonder if that will reduce latency (not that it's a huge issue these days... )
By Elektrobolt Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 pm
Not much likely. Just like USB3 meant little for USB2 devices.

Considering the abysmal, or in other words pretty lame, support for USB3, I cannot see how USB4 will "revolutionize" much of anything. How do I figure? Well, it's difficult to find a lot of USB type devices that use USB3, i.e. they're still in the USB1/2 range, but could certainly benefit from the higher bandwidth.

How is it that we don't have a USB concept on par with storage? E.g. class 1 means like USB1, etc. and if a higher class of hardware is produced (e.g. class 7), if could perhaps be backwards compatible. The higher the more bandwidth, and if all connected devices supports it, it goes, otherwise not. Rather the question should be, in this day and age, why do we need mechanical support for a different level of USB? ;)
By EnochLight Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:USB 3 is only in controller mode, Standalone is USB 2 speeds.

The point is - both the Live and the X only have USB 3.0 ports and chipsets. Obviously it's backwards compatible with USB 2.0, etc. It's likely once USB 4 drops, and OS support is added, they'll work fine.

CharlesRandolph wrote:Guess we'll have to see, how X/LIVE/Force handles USB 4 ports, considering it had/has connection issues with USB 3.

Strange - I've never had any issues with my Live and USB 3.0 ports. This is a known issue? Regardless, it's going to be a long time before USB 4.0 ports trickle into laptop/desktop manufacturing, as well as built-in motherboard support. Probably a bit premature to worry right now.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 am
EnochLight wrote:Strange - I've never had any issues with my Live and USB 3.0 ports. This is a known issue? Regardless, it's going to be a long time before USB 4.0 ports trickle into laptop/desktop manufacturing, as well as built-in motherboard support. Probably a bit premature to worry right now.

Depends the cable and different ports. I give about 12 to 18 months now that it's announced, before something physically manifest. This would be a great move for the MPC, that's if Akai Pro is forward thinking. There's words going around about the X590 motherboards. ( 2021 is my Rig Rebuild date.)
By zangetsu01 Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:46 am
Some of my 3.0 hardware start to act weird when I add a 2.0 device to 3.0 port. As long as nothing breaks I'm not going to buy any 4.0 devices any time soon.
By Ill-Green Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 am
The only thing I see in the future is that USB4 will appear on the MPC 4.0. So might have to prepare the way for that in 4 or 5 years.

For now, USB2 and 3 are dominant, so nothing to think or worry about until 2025.