MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JohnnyDoey Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:46 pm
Hi all, new to the forums and to MPCs.
I'm considering buying a secondhand MPC X for roughly $1500. My question is, considering the MPC X has been around for some time and that perhaps a new model is coming soon, and considering I'd be using it mostly for electronic music, would you buy it today? One thing that bothers me is how reliant it is on the touchscreen. I'm scared they will stop providing support for it in some years and because it's so reliant on the screen, I'll be almost "forced" to upgrade my equipment...
Thanks in advance for all replies!
By Fre$hBreath Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:08 am
The MPC X is future proof...
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 pm
Monotremata wrote:I wouldn't buy one. I want a Live for the portability factor instead. :D

What are you using now, for the portability factor?

JohnnyDoey wrote:Hi all, new to the forums and to MPCs.
I'm considering buying a secondhand MPC X for roughly $1500. My question is, considering the MPC X has been around for some time and that perhaps a new model is coming soon, and considering I'd be using it mostly for electronic music, would you buy it today? One thing that bothers me is how reliant it is on the touchscreen. I'm scared they will stop providing support for it in some years and because it's so reliant on the screen, I'll be almost "forced" to upgrade my equipment...

1. Buy what you need now and don't concern yourself with next model.
2. The X has plenty of growth and you will not miss much if/when a new model drops.
3. Unless you're playing acoustic instruments, it's all electronic music. :nod:
By Crumb$ Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:29 pm
I bought the Live because I travel a lot with it, but the X must be better to work on because you have all 16 Q links right there, with the nice oled dials, and of course all the extra buttons and connections. I don't think you need to worry about future proofing. It's solid.
By Elektrobolt Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:50 pm
You should look for something that is going to satisfy your needs, not for something with support. All support end at some point, so if the device does not meet your needs, you shouldn't buy it. In my opinion.

Unfortunately, everything is driven by advertisement anymore, and therefor it appears devices can do more than they actually can. This is obviously a stupid concept, but it is reality today.

Would I buy an MPC X today?

Well, for me, the MIDI implementation is important, and since it's not fully there, the way I need it. But, I bought it early on, and it really was pitched as any other MIDI device, which usually means that with 4/2 MIDI Ports, you have access to 64/32 MIDI Channels, but that is simply not the case.

So, if it was today, I would wait. Because MIDI is the one thing I need fully implemented, and with that a few other things will be resolved, according to Dan at Akai.
By Monotremata Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:43 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Monotremata wrote:I wouldn't buy one. I want a Live for the portability factor instead. :D

What are you using now, for the portability factor?

Nothing, thats the reason I want the Live, unless I come across some magic $200 4000 haha! My original plan after digging the software was to move to a 1000 but eh, might as well just get the Live if I can and stay at the same level Im at, only without having to always sit at this computer. Im sold on being able to take it with me and work wherever I want. Im still deciding though haha. I just moved a couple synths this weekend, so Im picking up an E-MU Ive been after for ages to go with the MPC Software. Who knows, by the time Im ready to get the 'real' MPC I might be at the point where I just need that 'tiny 32MB' in a badass 2000XL and let it do the drums and let the E4 do the rest of the loops and instrument type stuff, and the BASS!

The Live though, Akai has shown some real love to it lately, and it would be cool to just have the 'latest and greatest' one for kicks. Im sure Id miss some of the features (like the storage haha) once in awhile with an older one so its a rad best of both worlds thing.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:41 pm
Monotremata wrote:Nothing, thats the reason I want the Live, unless I come across some magic $200 4000 haha! My original plan after digging the software was to move to a 1000 but eh, might as well just get the Live if I can and stay at the same level Im at, only without having to always sit at this computer. Im sold on being able to take it with me and work wherever I want. Im still deciding though haha. I just moved a couple synths this weekend, so Im picking up an E-MU Ive been after for ages to go with the MPC Software. Who knows, by the time Im ready to get the 'real' MPC I might be at the point where I just need that 'tiny 32MB' in a badass 2000XL and let it do the drums and let the E4 do the rest of the loops and instrument type stuff, and the BASS!

The Live though, Akai has shown some real love to it lately, and it would be cool to just have the 'latest and greatest' one for kicks. Im sure Id miss some of the features (like the storage haha) once in awhile with an older one so its a rad best of both worlds thing.

It all depends on how you work. I prefer to stay away from anything with a floppy or zip drive. :lol: The only important thing is creating music and does the machine allow you do what you want to do.
By EnochLight Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:25 pm
JohnnyDoey wrote:Hi all, new to the forums and to MPCs.

The MPC Live just had a price drop - brand new - down to $999 USD. That's a far better investment, IMHO, and if you shop from somewhere like Sweetwater, you'll get a 2-year warranty to boot.

What's pulling you towards an X over the Live?
By Monotremata Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Monotremata wrote:Nothing, thats the reason I want the Live, unless I come across some magic $200 4000 haha! My original plan after digging the software was to move to a 1000 but eh, might as well just get the Live if I can and stay at the same level Im at, only without having to always sit at this computer. Im sold on being able to take it with me and work wherever I want. Im still deciding though haha. I just moved a couple synths this weekend, so Im picking up an E-MU Ive been after for ages to go with the MPC Software. Who knows, by the time Im ready to get the 'real' MPC I might be at the point where I just need that 'tiny 32MB' in a badass 2000XL and let it do the drums and let the E4 do the rest of the loops and instrument type stuff, and the BASS!

It all depends on how you work. I prefer to stay away from anything with a floppy or zip drive. :lol: The only important thing is creating music and does the machine allow you do what you want to do.

Yeah thats the only thing about the 2KXL. At least I can always get a compact flash drive or something. I mean doing an entire song with samples, 32MB IS doable if you work at it, but then you gotta remember thats like 30 floppy disks if you fill that song up haha. At least a Zip drive you can do 3 songs a disk or so at that rate. My old EMU came with a factory Zip so it was cool but man if I ever had to load a song off of 60 floppies (it had 64MB) I would've quit altogether haha. I do like the USB stuff the Nukais have but I don't know about the whole 2500/5000. You still don't hear complaints about the Akai's, like you do the newer ones. If I go Nukai, it'll be the Live. Looks like the 5000 is priced about the same range so might as well buy the one theyre still working on.