MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 pm
I hear ya. I'm pretty satisfied with my Live, I knock out drums real quick, or do some drum sound design, but I'd rather get this in the future than another new MPC. The New Roland Fantom

https://i.imgur.com/VJjNesJl.png

EnochLight wrote:I literally just bought my MPC Live back in April 2019 (scored it for $963 new at Sweetwater). I'm pretty satisfied with it, and barring no crazy new features that are "must have", I'll likely be sitting on my current Live for at least another year or two.
By EnochLight Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:15 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Anything is usable but they are still toys. If someone wants to produce serious work, they will use serious tools. There's no way around it! A craftsman is only as good as their tools.

And there's something else we will fundamentally disagree on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :nod:

CharlesRandolph wrote:Yes, that was joke. Just like the toy calculators. :lol:

Some people see toys and jokes; others can easily get shit done. Makes one wonder where the skill truly is, right? ;)
By EnochLight Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:17 am
Danoc wrote:I hear ya. I'm pretty satisfied with my Live, I knock out drums real quick, or do some drum sound design, but I'd rather get this in the future than another new MPC. The New Roland Fantom

https://i.imgur.com/VJjNesJl.png

Ironically, a friend of mine just picked up a used Roland FA-06 (the spiritual predecessor to the Fantoms just announced). IMHO, it did not... age well. Hopefully the new Fantom series does.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 am
EnochLight wrote:And there's something else we will fundamentally disagree on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :nod:

Some people see toys and jokes; others can easily get **** done. Makes one wonder where the skill truly is, right? ;)

If this is a personal hobby, then a person can use whatever they want. However, If this is your profession, then having professional tools is a no brainier. We have different mind-states, because our end goals and purpose for our composition differ.
By Danoc Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:38 am
:lol: yes l noticed. Thing is built well though. I'll take that new Fatom for $300 please lol

Eyalc wrote:Superficial comment...

Anyone else find it odd that the new Roland Fantom keyboards look like they have some Akai design influence? Colors, black top, red sides...

Either way, I wish Akai would make a keyboard version of the MPC.
By Danoc Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 am
Im working wuth a client all my tools are going to be top notch. Im not going to use just anything and always cheap is not always the way to go. Reputation of the company goes a long way too.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:20 am
Danoc wrote:Im working wuth a client all my tools are going to be top notch. Im not going to use just anything and always cheap is not always the way to go. Reputation of the company goes a long way too.

There are times when low price gear become studio staples: First NT1 mics, NS10, Events 20/20. Also the right person can make almost anything sound good. For me it's not price, but how well the gear captures the sound. Advancement of technology has allowed for this to happen in the digital world.

However, I still avoid buying toys and cheesy gimmick devices. But you guys may be right a MPC Keyboard may be the way to go. The things that bother me about workstation keyboard, is the placement of the drum pads. Like the new Fantom, the screen is front and center, yet the drums pads are the left.

But again, I like my Keyboard to be a Keyboard, my MPC to be MPC (Sampler/Sequencer focused), My Software DAW is first, a recorder/editor and second, VST, VSTi and Sample Set host. My speakers are speakers. I like things to be clean, simple, and direct as possible.
By Danoc Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 am
I don't want a MPC keyboard lol l like that new Fantom because of the features, sounds and build quality. Like you l like my sound to be clean, pristine , warm and lush.

I want those listening to my music to have an experience , an eargasm. lol
By EnochLight Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:38 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:If this is a personal hobby, then a person can use whatever they want. However, If this is your profession, then having professional tools is a no brainier. We have different mind-states, because our end goals and purpose for our composition differ.

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. A true professional can use any tool they want. It has nothing to do with mind-states, end goals, or purpose of composition. It has everything to do with your actual skillset. :nod:
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 pm
EnochLight wrote:Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. A true professional can use any tool they want. It has nothing to do with mind-states, end goals, or purpose of composition. It has everything to do with your actual skillset. :nod:

I true professional, won't use any tool. Like I said we have a different mind-state and end goal. All the serious people I know, use serious tools. That the reason, the best Pianist use Bösendorfer. Steinway or C. Bechstein and not a Casio Digital Piano.

It's not just about getting it done, its about Tonal Quality, Action Control, Longevity, Materials, Attention to Detail. If a person is playing a $200,000 plus piano wtih 15+ years of training. I'm not going to record it using $50 dollar microphone with an iPhone.

A high level of excellence, requires a high level of thought, intention, skill-sets and tools.
By Monotremata Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:39 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. A true professional can use any tool they want. It has nothing to do with mind-states, end goals, or purpose of composition. It has everything to do with your actual skillset. :nod:

I true professional, won't use any tool. Like I said we have a different mind-state and end goal. All the serious people I know, use serious tools. That the reason, the best Pianist use Bösendorfer. Steinway or C. Bechstein and not a Casio Digital Piano.

It's not just about getting it done, its about Tonal Quality, Action Control, Longevity, Materials, Attention to Detail. If a person is playing a $200,000 plus piano wtih 15+ years of training. I'm not going to record it using $50 dollar microphone with an iPhone.

A high level of excellence, requires a high level of thought, intention, skill-sets and tools.

Thats all fine and dandy (Im one of those guys that sees no need to pay $1000 for an American made Fender when all of my $500 Mexican made ones are just as great), but what if some "toy" has THAT sound in particular youre looking for? Surely a PRO sound designer/engineer will use what he needs to make his vision happen no?

I mean shit Ive gotten some rad sounds out of my collection of Texas Instrument crap you can't get out of anything else. Am I going to throw those away because they literally are 'toys'? Hell no Im gonna add those to my arsenal. I don't want my stuff to sound like every other cookie cutter 'this is what's hot this second in the industry' crap. Im not doing it for money so. Id rather have my own voice, and if whacking on a Tonka truck with a stick through a Lexicon makes me the most awesome drum sound, youre damn right Im using it.

@Lampdog - damn, now that's REAL talk right there. Just make sure its like one of the MPK keyboards.. Id love having keys for keygroups but don't forget those pads for mah rhythmics!!!
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Thats all fine and dandy (Im one of those guys that sees no need to pay $1000 for an American made Fender when all of my $500 Mexican made ones are just as great), but what if some "toy" has THAT sound in particular youre looking for? Surely a PRO sound designer/engineer will use what he needs to make his vision happen no?

Then why buy a $500 dollar Mexican Fender Stat, when you could buy a $20 dollar toy guitar. Right! :lol: You wouldn't because, the 20 dollar toy guitar, would need tuning every 10 seconds and it would not hold up wear and tear of skilled musician. :lol:

Monotremata wrote:I mean **** Ive gotten some rad sounds out of my collection of Texas Instrument **** you can't get out of anything else. Am I going to throw those away because they literally are 'toys'? Hell no Im gonna add those to my arsenal. I don't want my stuff to sound like every other cookie cutter 'this is what's hot this second in the industry' ****. Im not doing it for money so. Id rather have my own voice, and if whacking on a Tonka truck with a stick through a Lexicon makes me the most awesome drum sound, youre damn right Im using it.

Texas Instrument was made as a children learning toy, it was repurposed for other uses, that's the difference. Just like Turntables where made for listening and repurposed as musical instrument. However, I can tell you there is a major difference between: Technics 1200 MK5 for $550 and a Vestax handytrax for $300.

Do you use the T.I Speak and spell everyday for 6 hours a day? I guarantee if you did, it would break, because it was not made for that kind of heavy usage.