MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:03 am
peterpiper wrote:
Oh, I never tried this rerecording technique that way but now I will :)
I only used rerecording to add room/reverb to snares by setting up the mic in the corridor next to my music-room (had to close all windows and doors of the other rooms beause of the noise from the street :))

peace

Sub Mic work great as well. Check out the Solomon LoFReQ or something else.
By Lampdog Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 am
By CharlesRandolph Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 am
That is the one, mic your monitors and re record all your kick drums.

Lampdog wrote:
By Unreallystic Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:40 pm
Lampdog wrote:I’ve been doing this forever and 15 days.

2 snares + 3 claps.
Clap1 = left
Clap2 = center
Clap3 = right.

Nudge clap1 two tick ahead of snare.
Nudge clap3 two ticks behind snare.

Sprinkle to taste, serve when ready.

I do something similar with FX *sometimes*, when I want a live feel, I'll pan a *single* clap with minor minor minor delay (and its already stacked with the snare, so I don't get the before, but I get a nice stretch/people with no rhythm trying to get in on the handclap action effect). I try to minimize stereo effects though on percussion, not because its taboo, but I go way overboard and then have a hard time bringing it back to a reasonable place.

I try to keep my snares as simple as possible though, so much gets layered with them or right behind them when I'm in a more traditional hip-hop vibe, that they can get muddy pretty quickly, claps, kicks, samples, hits. Its different with the more modern trap, but keeping it a buck, I'm so used to how I've been doing it that I keep my snares super nekkid for Trap (minimal anyway, the rhythm work comes from hi-hats there so snares are just accents).

Let me ask, since its such a science for you, have you tried layering it all together on a single pad that way?
- Unreall
By 40Beatz Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:44 pm
Hmmm I think I'm gonna Appreciate the work he just did, setting up the Mics. And Sample it right from YouTube into My X real quick! Chop it Up into Pieces and make a Drum Kit out this. :lol: :worthy:
By 40Beatz Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:35 pm
YT is an Excellent Source! If someone makes a Hot Track...People just wanna know What you Sampled...NOT where you got the Sample/DrumKit from! :worthy:
By CharlesRandolph Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:05 pm
40Beatz wrote:YT is an Excellent Source! If someone makes a Hot Track...People just wanna know What you Sampled...NOT where you got the Sample/DrumKit from! :worthy:

Audio quality on YouTube has improved, just have curate the sound source. I chopped this drum as soon as Lampdog, posted the video. Hard habit to break. I'll post them.
By Lampdog Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm
There were are a few reasons I posted the vid.

Good drums to possibly chop up.
YT quality has gotten a lil better than years ago.
It's an awesome mic.
He played some good lil breaks to show off the mic.
By NearTao Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 pm
A lot of great advice here... dropping some more generic thoughts... boom bap is super broad, and not sure if you wanted to get a more 'old school' sound or not...

If you're looking for old school boom bap... then a few things you might want to keep in mind.
* Most old school samplers were mono, considering sampling in mono for a more "in your face" feel
* Sample memory used to be a premium, don't be afraid to pitch up whatever your sampling, and then pitch it down in your sampler... this will add artifacts that can give you more of the boom and bap
* Lower your sampling frequency... 96khz can sound too clean and sterile... dropping to 22khz (or lower) can do some magic
* Chop with your ears... visual editing has allowed us to tighten things up... but it lacks character... don't forget that if it sounds good then it is good... let the tail trail off sometimes... a kick with a little cymbal crash at the end can sound dope... again trust your ears not your eyes
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 am
NearTao wrote:* Lower your sampling frequency... 96khz can sound too clean and sterile... dropping to 22khz (or lower) can do some magic

No need to lower the sample rate, just run it though some gear to give it the desired color. The cleaner the original sound, the more color you can add, but it does not work in reverse. This is where investing in outboard gear helps. Personally I prefer to color everything at the very end. Think of it like creating a movie, do all your color temp and color corrections at the end.
By peterpiper Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:15 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:That is the one, mic your monitors and re record all your kick drums.

Lampdog wrote:

Sounds great . uuummmmp uummp :-D
The engineer of a studio I once worked simply used a basschassis as mic to get that ump.
I can imagine that the recording of the drums of skulls Snaps or Impeach the president also used this method. Never found infos about that but the kick of those tracks sound so powerful. no wonder that they are used that much in HipHop
peace
By Lampdog Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:27 am
NearTao wrote:* Chop with your ears

THIS.

My beats in ASR10 I felt were way better BECAUSE they weren’t super precise chops.

Because I was sloppy every now and then.

John Legend type shit, “perfect imperfections”
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:08 am
peterpiper wrote:
Sounds great . uuummmmp uummp :-D
The engineer of a studio I once worked simply used a basschassis as mic to get that ump.
I can imagine that the recording of the drums of skulls Snaps or Impeach the president also used this method. Never found infos about that but the kick of those tracks sound so powerful. no wonder that they are used that much in HipHop
peace

On the impeach the president, they drop-lug tuning and muffled the snare and stuff the drum head. Not sure what kit they used. But that how you get that cardboard box sound. Work great, when the room you're in isn't treated.

Lot of this information on how to get the drums to sound that way, are lost because of sampling. We eat the fruit but forgot how to grow the fruit. I'm sure there are some drummer in here, who can chime in.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:23 am
Lampdog wrote:THIS.

My beats in ASR10 I felt were way better BECAUSE they weren’t super precise chops.

Because I was sloppy every now and then.

John Legend type ****, “perfect imperfections”

Yes, drums have slight roll in. For a natural sound they shouldn't be cut to sharp and don't forget to cut off the quantize. Perhaps that's why Akai put that slight delay in front of the samples.