New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By ShengTao Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 pm
I've been sampling a lot of 60's 70's detective TV shows.. they're a treasure trove of sound fx, hits, chord stabs, trills, flute riffs, etc. Can anyone tell me what's legal to use? Any, none, or is there a rule of thumb? Does reversing a sample effect the legality?
By quietizkept Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm
Even one note is illegal. But.... it has to be recognizable & provable enough to get caught. Pete Rock has boasted about manipulating his samples enough to not need clearance.

Another option is Tracklib. They have a huge library and make clearance easy & cheap. Your movie sounds might not be in there, though.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:45 pm
Chop, Cut, Slice, Filter, Layer, Chop and rearrange until you can't tell where it came from. People are getting sued, more and more because of digital media. In the past they got away with it. But they decided to re-release the song on digital streaming platforms. Then BOOM, they got you.

Who sampled it, YouTube crate digger are telling on people. :lol: Also with computer algorithms, it's real easy to find and match samples. So... like Quiet said clear it. But if you don't Chop, Cut, Slice, Filter, Layer, Chop and rearrange until you can't tell where it came from.

Loop Digger are going to get caught. :nod: They just got, OLD TOWN ROAD for 25 Million for that Bobby Caldwell's "Carry On" sample.
By JUKE 179r Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:25 am
Chop that sh*t into microns and no one will know.

CharlesRandolph wrote:They just got, OLD TOWN ROAD for 25 Million for that Bobby Caldwell's "Carry On" sample.

Damn!!! I didn't know that. :shock:
By peterpiper Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:34 pm
Manipulation of a sample (like chopping to death, filter etc) might help to not get in trouble with the law but to me it negate the reason of sampling from other artists.
The reason I sample from other artists is cause I really like the part that is played. It might be the melody, the rhythmic or harmonic feel, the sound. Why should I sample from other artists when I have to destroy the DNA of that sample?
But yes, the law is like it is and you only can use samples if you plan to not distribute it in any way or clear the samples.

peace
By CharlesRandolph Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:53 pm
For me, sampling is an inspirations, to take the music to place that the original artist was not thinking about.
I want them to hear it and feel that I'm bringing honor, advancing, and adding to the artistic integrity of their creations. Plus, I want the listener to hear my sound and not like it because they recognized the melody or drum pattern.

peterpiper wrote:Manipulation of a sample (like chopping to death, filter etc) might help to not get in trouble with the law but to me it negate the reason of sampling from other artists.
The reason I sample from other artists is cause I really like the part that is played. It might be the melody, the rhythmic or harmonic feel, the sound. Why should I sample from other artists when I have to destroy the DNA of that sample?
But yes, the law is like it is and you only can use samples if you plan to not distribute it in any way or clear the samples.

peace
By peterpiper Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:34 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:For me, sampling is an inspirations, to take the music to place that the original artist was not thinking about.
I want them to hear it and feel that I'm bringing honor, advancing, and adding to the artistic integrity of their creations. Plus, I want the listener to hear my sound and not like it because they recognized the melody or drum pattern.

peterpiper wrote:Manipulation of a sample (like chopping to death, filter etc) might help to not get in trouble with the law but to me it negate the reason of sampling from other artists.

peace

Of course it should not be made cheap but even a loop can be put in a different context so people might recognize it but also think "wow, thats a dope way to use that sample".
But also, it doesn't have o be recognizeable. Thats what I always liked about massive use of samples or loops in HipHop. I listen to a track and wonder where the hell this sample is from. I've started to listen to jazz or many 'unknown' artists because of sample/loop usage in HipHop. It opened my mind for music I wouldn't have listen to otherwise.

peace
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:30 am
Yeah, that was one way to discover music and still is. As far as the legality, for myself it's not worth the headache. It cost money just to defend the claim.

peterpiper wrote:Of course it should not be made cheap but even a loop can be put in a different context so people might recognize it but also think "wow, thats a dope way to use that sample".

But also, it doesn't have o be recognizeable. Thats what I always liked about massive use of samples or loops in HipHop. I listen to a track and wonder where the hell this sample is from. I've started to listen to jazz or many 'unknown' artists because of sample/loop usage in HipHop. It opened my mind for music I wouldn't have listen to otherwise.

peace