Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By CFM01 Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:09 am
Ok, as a former owner of the Live and now a new owner of a Force what can i say about which one you should get after a few days with Force.

First the Force is technically not a MPC, although has many of the features of the MPC range, but it’s not one. At the moment it can’t run the MPC 2.0 software. This currently limits you to its internal plugins and effects. Currently there is also no song mode. You just launch clips in matrix mode much like in ableton live. So you can launch just one clip, clips, or a row of clips as the matrix is columns and rows. If you have been using Ableton Live in this way then you will be at home with the Force.

So if you have Ableton Live with Push then you may think do I really need Force? Because basically Force has ‘Ableton Like’ features as a controller like Push. Which makes it a sort of hybrid Ableton Controller come 90% MPC but not... as sampling is much like a MPC and runs the same operating software. I think where the Force excels is in a live situation and here it is perhaps better suited than MPC Live, certainly the X which is less portable. MPC Live is great as it can run on battery so you can take it anywhere, the Force and X are mains powered so I’d say Force is about maximum size you would want to travel with.

Saying this I never ran MPC Live as a standalone, for most part is ran as a VST within Ableton Live, which meant I had to carry MPC Live and a laptop plus my soundcard.

So... in the UK MPC Live is around £900, Force £1300, MPC X £1800. Force has midi and CV wheres MPC live has no CV. The firmware on the Force is behind that of the Live and X although my catch up in time. I’m unsure if Force will never run full MPC software. If money is no problem and you are not worried about carrying then I’d get the X. If you own ableton live, gig live and don’t have push then it’s worth considering force, the cheaper option still is MPC Live.
By CFM01 Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:06 pm
Ok, I’ve spent a lot more time with the Force and it is time for a little update.

This update wants to address a few issues that have been debated elsewhere. I think why they have been debated is because people do not understand how the Force fits in Akai’s product range. The first issue is about MPC software. The Force does not come with any software.... none, zero. So do you need any... such as MPC software.

The Force is not an MPC... so if you want MPC 2.0 software then you need to buy an MPC X or MPC Live. Both these machines, ok can work as standalone, but are designed to run MPC software either in your DAW or a VST within your DAW. Force is not designed to run MPC software. I can see the confusion as the top half of the Force looks, breaths and smells like an MPC with the bottom part a Akai designed chopped up Ableton Push controller. However, in the flesh the guts of the Force maybe has the DNA of an MPC but physically is layout is much more well thought out.

Editing within the Force is easy, copy, paste, delete are at hand, the inbuilt VST are fine although I would you will need to spend time with them to get the best out of them. I can see the Force being the centre of a music system especially in a live situation.

There are still a few missing things with the Force, it does all the first parts great, sampling sounds, creating sequences, all put in scenes however fails at the last part creating a song. I understand Akai know this is a feature required by users and will be addressed in a later update. For now testing starts on wireless control of Ableton Live. It will be interesting to see how this developes.
By DokBrown Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:32 pm
my roland MV HDD just died again, I was thinking about going back to mpc1k w/ JJ but MPC LIVE & AKAI FORCE are clearly the future.
The article below is insightful.
https://audiojive.com/mpc-live-vs-akai-force/

I know the FORCE has 1/4 MIDI ports that require adapters. The ? is can I use the FORCE pads/sequencer to sequence my korg electribe. Article says FORCE does not have “midi controller capability.”

Furthermore, is it true that you cannot chop a sample across the pads but only the screen.

If so, I will go with the MPC LIVE . . . . . . .
By Oscar1 Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:36 am
I think the MPC X may be a more refined and complete for what it was supposed to be at this moment.

I own Force. I don't do any EDM. I had many groove boxes, electibes and samplers and other all-in-one but they all just were simply too limited for my experimental stuff and required to be very focused on how to do things instead of doing the things. I am quite in awe with the force though as it has huge potential to break all this.

Once (and if) they add the song mode for Force, it will be a very competent and self contained recording device that will be pleasure to use for many kinds of music not just edm. Its power is enough that it can pretty much compete with a DAW for many of the basic and smaller stuff. (AKA perfect for my home stuff). The quality of the soft synths and effects is really high - zero complains there.

Right now the Force is stuck in a live mode so it would be hard to compare it to the old roland MV - in that respect the old MV is still much more competent recording and mastering device than force. The force is right now just an expensive clip launcher that is good for a live performance only but can't function as a song recording device at all. Its interface is indeed very good (as is MPC X) and a big step up if I compare it to any of the old MC, electribes and whatsnot where you had to decipher a small display.

I really like it - but more for its potential, not necessary for what it is right now. If they fail to add the song mode then I will be looking at selling it as it is really just a luxurious self contained clip launcher for live performances.