MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:28 pm
Unreallystic wrote:I meant that from a modding stand-point.

No, if Akai releases another MPC, it should be a middle of the road MPC, and while I differ from some here, I'd actually only have (8) Q-Links - as a Live user, once you are use to them, (4) is actually most of what you need outside of crazy automation on say a synth of FX. The X is just big to be big, and gains little with the size increase, some dedicated buttons, and OLEDs for the Qs, but after you are at home with it, you don't even "really" need the OLEDs, the larger screen is moot as the distance from the user thanks to the format, shrinks the screen to feel about the same as the Live, and the dedicated buttons could be greatly trimmed down with better menu diving/setup. You can argue the additional I/O, but that's really about it.
-Unreall

It seems the logical place for Akai Pro, would be sub $1000 MPC or Highend $3000+ MPC. I hope for a highend but chances are they'll low ball it.
By Unreallystic Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 pm
Eh, I think the spot is low-end and mid-grade, an $800 - Digitakt ranged offering in the shape of a repackaged MPC Live, and $1500-ish middle ground of the current Live & X, slightly larger Live, but still portable w/ a better selection of buttons/dedicated buttons, larger screen, and X level I/Os with maybe a breakout box purchasable add-on for additional I/O if the market is there for it. I'd rather the $1500-ish offering be more customizable, than to jump to some obscene price that won't age well - $3k is fighting with high-end laptops & PCs. I'd rather the price be manageable, but the unit expandable to that $3k price range if there are users who want those things.

But I'm out the race, I don't use my Force, my Live was out of commission and I didn't miss a step. I don't need them to release anything new, and am not looking for it. I'm only interested in stand-alone from Akai, and I don't think they can - at any reasonable price - deliver a stand-alone that can compete with a laptop.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:13 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Eh, I think the spot is low-end and mid-grade, an $800 - Digitakt ranged offering in the shape of a repackaged MPC Live, and $1500-ish middle ground of the current Live & X, slightly larger Live, but still portable w/ a better selection of buttons/dedicated buttons, larger screen, and X level I/Os with maybe a breakout box purchasable add-on for additional I/O if the market is there for it. I'd rather the $1500-ish offering be more customizable, than to jump to some obscene price that won't age well - $3k is fighting with high-end laptops & PCs. I'd rather the price be manageable, but the unit expandable to that $3k price range if there are users who want those things.

But I'm out the race, I don't use my Force, my Live was out of commission and I didn't miss a step. I don't need them to release anything new, and am not looking for it. I'm only interested in stand-alone from Akai, and I don't think they can - at any reasonable price - deliver a stand-alone that can compete with a laptop.
- Unreall

Old, outdated SP1200 and TR 808 are going for 3K to 5K. There plenty of room at the top. The low end is would be a cash grab, like the MPC 500. Plus that price range, is packed with low end gear. :lol: Maybe they should make, a MPC breakout box for the LIVE/X. That would be nice OEM hack.
By Monotremata Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:09 pm
I dont know its kinda like the next step up hardware-wise from an X is to just get a computer and an audio interface really. I think they got a lot more they need to do to the software end to bring it up to date before they think about a new model. Right now its basically a 5000 with a fancy touch screen. The software part of it is horribly inefficient at things it should be able to do in its sleep, hopefully the standalone version is a lot more stable.. Seems its the DAW features they royally screwed up though and those dont exist over there. Dont get me wrong I love it, but Im also taking steps to not use parts of it and just do without things for now because of it. So far I haven't hit any 'limits' but Im still in that 'doing a project to teach myself the MPC' phase.. Once I hit a wall and go 'Ooooo I want to try that here' hopefully I wont have to go 'Oh wait, thats right that causes CPU spikes' or 'Oh wait, no delay compensation', 'Oh never mind I cant change that sound because the LFO is going to do the exact same motion every time I hit a key', etc... Little things here and there like that.. I dont think any hardware upgrade is going to wow current users over to a new model until they get it working properly to start. 4 busses? Really? Is this a Mackie 1604 or a workstation?
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 pm
Monotremata wrote:I dont know its kinda like the next step up hardware-wise from an X is to just get a computer and an audio interface really. I think they got a lot more they need to do to the software end to bring it up to date before they think about a new model. Right now its basically a 5000 with a fancy touch screen.

The software part of it is horribly inefficient at things it should be able to do in its sleep, hopefully the standalone version is a lot more stable.. Seems its the DAW features they royally screwed up though and those dont exist over there. Dont get me wrong I love it, but Im also taking steps to not use parts of it and just do without things for now because of it.

So far I haven't hit any 'limits' but Im still in that 'doing a project to teach myself the MPC' phase.. Once I hit a wall and go 'Ooooo I want to try that here' hopefully I wont have to go 'Oh wait, thats right that causes CPU spikes' or 'Oh wait, no delay compensation', 'Oh never mind I cant change that sound because the LFO is going to do the exact same motion every time I hit a key', etc... Little things here and there like that..

I dont think any hardware upgrade is going to wow current users over to a new model until they get it working properly to start. 4 busses? Really? Is this a Mackie 1604 or a workstation?

They should already have something in the pipeline. To stay in business, if they must release new gear. Or start charging for software update. I have a feeling, the next couple of updates, will fix and introduce more things. On the software side, they have to keep hacking at it or go out and buy an establish software DAW company.
By Unreallystic Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:33 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Old, outdated SP1200 and TR 808 are going for 3K to 5K. There plenty of room at the top. The low end is would be a cash grab, like the MPC 500. Plus that price range, is packed with low end gear. :lol: Maybe they should make, a MPC breakout box for the LIVE/X. That would be nice OEM hack.

The low end IS packed, which is why a "Live MK2" would have to be in that price range - to compete, as their are other options, debatablely better options depending on interest - at a lower cost.

Those old and outdated pieces of equipment are still old outdated pieces of equipment. People want them and want to spend money on it, I'm not going to throw huge shots, but they aren't truly WORTH those obscene prices being paid. The same way there are people like me who chase improvements in workflow and waste money that way, there are people who chase analog gear, to the exact same end. A classic Tr 808 is kind of whatever to me, I've got the cheaper Tr8 and the Tr8s, both of which have emulation good enough that no listener is going to know the difference, especially after a proper mix & master.

They really have no baring on what Akai should be doing, people aren't rushing out to spend 3k+ on gear that isn't a "collectors item" (just call a spade a spade). There are people with the MatrixBrute, but I mean its not enough that Akai could "live" off the profit. Moog One is dumb expensive, I've only seen (2) people with them and I live within a couple hours of the factory haha.

Someone already said - the only way the MPC could *hardware* go up, is to be a laptop with an audio interface (I agree), and laptops age out. Efficiency and power are the name of the game moving forward. I don't even feel the price of the X is justified, I'm not sure what they could throw into an MPC to justify an obscene sticker price. I might bite if the MPC was bled into a high-end Synth, functionally my Roland System-8 with a built in MPC would be worth the price and the possible performance would justify the purchase, but a pure MPC...eh

Just give us the tools to open it up/customize it.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:06 pm
There's money on the high end, but the build quality, software, I/O, and presentation must be exquisite. A Limited 2500 world wide unit run, with all the bells and whistle. They have to do something, that makes every top producer and studio buy and use them on records. It can't be paid endorsements. From there, everyone else would want to buy them.

TR 808 and SP 1200 are worth about $300 dollars at most. But the myth and legend is what makes them valuable. :nod: People love to own things, that are seemingly unattainable and shrouded in legend. As far as MOOG, they plays the long game because they know, in time, their gear will sale. Build Quality, Excellent Service, and Great features always have a market. They have a very loyal customer base.

As for the MPC X and LIVE hack, anyone figure out a way add rack ears like the MPC 42?

Unreallystic wrote:The low end IS packed, which is why a "Live MK2" would have to be in that price range - to compete, as their are other options, debatablely better options depending on interest - at a lower cost.

Those old and outdated pieces of equipment are still old outdated pieces of equipment. People want them and want to spend money on it, I'm not going to throw huge shots, but they aren't truly WORTH those obscene prices being paid. The same way there are people like me who chase improvements in workflow and waste money that way, there are people who chase analog gear, to the exact same end. A classic Tr 808 is kind of whatever to me, I've got the cheaper Tr8 and the Tr8s, both of which have emulation good enough that no listener is going to know the difference, especially after a proper mix & master.

They really have no baring on what Akai should be doing, people aren't rushing out to spend 3k+ on gear that isn't a "collectors item" (just call a spade a spade). There are people with the MatrixBrute, but I mean its not enough that Akai could "live" off the profit. Moog One is dumb expensive, I've only seen (2) people with them and I live within a couple hours of the factory haha.

Someone already said - the only way the MPC could *hardware* go up, is to be a laptop with an audio interface (I agree), and laptops age out. Efficiency and power are the name of the game moving forward. I don't even feel the price of the X is justified, I'm not sure what they could throw into an MPC to justify an obscene sticker price. I might bite if the MPC was bled into a high-end Synth, functionally my Roland System-8 with a built in MPC would be worth the price and the possible performance would justify the purchase, but a pure MPC...eh

Just give us the tools to open it up/customize it.
- Unreall
By Daflorettalamv Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:04 am
standalone stuff is sick. if you dont have a dank computer you can still make dank beats. no need for an interface, software, laptop, controller (and compatibility) $$$DX
modular compatible technology in general is sweet tho.
id love a mouse on my mpc live. the touch screen isnt my ideal control interface, but it is an amazing visual interface. i am a sore shouldered person. im tryning to chill and play my mpc live. theres no jog wheel, no arrow buttons, a lot of missing shortcuts from jjos2xl mpc1000, im already tired from life and tryna learn a new beastly mpc, and now i gotta be banging on the screen to get everywhere . gimme a mouse, hell yeah. id love to try it.
and u already got 2 usb ports and keyboard/midi compatability/bluetooth/wifi so hello lets do it
youtube app would be tight cause is like one of the biggest public databases of audio and video of all time, but id probably try to avoid the comment threads
wish there was like a legacy control aux box that would sit beside the live and add more button, knob, fader control to it. like an mpc buddy. mpc extender.

i could get a mouse used for $5 or less idk
its a literal computer --super flexible. JJOS 2xl shows u how MPC can be firmware/software updated for added magnificent capabilities that Akai never was willing to do (for whatever reasons).

When will we get a polyphonic guitar to midi plugin and more on mpc live? WOW

okay here is my hack:
guitar >
input>
noisegate >
pitch shifter +/- 12 >
autowah >
distortion>
submix 1>
spring reverb>
ping pong delay>

sounds pretty cool through some headphones...

u can add so many fx in tandem by patching 4 pads inserts to 4 track inserts to 4 submix inserts. theres 12 fx you have for prerecorded audio. hack. ive found how to do 8 fx on live sound. NOICE.

Wish there was a way, on any type of track or insert menu, to swiftly save the entire "pedalboard" or "channelstrip" with all those fx plugin's current settings in a multi effect patch, which could be easily recalled and duplicated onto any other insert spots throughout the project quickly...
..in the insert menu, there could be a 5th dropdown menu with the "pedalboard" presets. you just scroll through multifx patches on your mouse and find the one thats for the track 3 synth on the song #2(as the file name indicated: "tr003sn002fx.xpm"...?
or "hardsmoothrockguitar01.xpm"

i think if they made a mpc2500 style Live, with more sliders, buttons, audio ports, midi ports, footswitch, and a couple cv's ports, id love it. i like all the buttons on the X. Id even be down for a smaller screen and more dedicated controls. like a volume and rec knobs i can reach and see.
By mr_debauch Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:So any actual hacks in this thread or just arguments?

was hoping to see some... frankly everything in this thread should be deleted.
By zangetsu01 Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:43 pm
kaydigi wrote:
zangetsu01 wrote:Anywhere where we can view or see something like leaked videos or images of the coming updates..?? :popcorn:

They were all pulled or deleted.

There's always someone who save's it before it gets taken down or makes a few snapshots..
Now where is that knight with his shining armor..?? Or that hero wearing that white cape??