Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By dougC Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:10 pm
Hi guys, I've been lurking around here for some info but can't seem to find exactly what I need an answer to.

Long story short, I've been away for a couple years travelling, came back fired up my 2500 and it's just powering up a blank green screen, no buttons are lighting up etc, I've taken it apart and I suspect it's the main board.

So, I have a dilemma, do I pay for the cost of repair vs a used MPC live?

My question Is that..

I can still access all my stuff on the removed 2500 hard drive, but will the MPC Live be able to load all my old beats straight from the hard drive files on my computer?

I've tried the MPC Software demo, I can get some tracks loaded up but seems to be a few samples missing here and there. Tbh I'm really not keen on the MPC Software workflow.

I just need all my beats back and thought this would be cheaper than a repair or buying a used 2500 or 1000?

Any info would be appreciated if anyone has done this?

Cheers
By MPC-Tutor Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:32 pm
Never had any issue loading up MPC2500 projects that originated from either Akai OS or the free JJOS. JJOSXL and other more recent JJOS versions will potentially have issues here and there.

Obviously this is a somewhat basic conversion as the new MPCs have different FX, filters and envelopes etc, so you will have to get your hands dirty and reapply things to suit. But sample assignments, program parameters and seqeuncer info should transfer.

As for the MPC Software workflow, most people who have an MPC Live are not using the MPC Software, it's a completely different experience compared to using the MPC Live touchscreen UI. If you are looking to transition over from the MPC2500 then you'll also likely skip the MPC Software and just stick to the Live/X hardware.

But if you just want to get your beats back identically, you'll need to buy another 1000/2500 or go for the repair. However I personally think that the process of transferring your old beats to the Live/X should be seen as an opportunity to revisit and potentially improve on some of your older content.
By Menco Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:09 am
I have the 2500 and the Live. When I bought the Live it really felt like an upgrade feature wise. Now a year later I barely use it anymore.
I enjoy chopping and sequencing more and 2500, and only use the Software/ Live to get my beats in Logic Pro where I add stuff, arrange and mix. Never had a problem with beats that didn’t transfer well from the 2500 to the Live. Although imo the filters in the 2500 sound better. In your case you can just install your old MPC’s HD in the Live if you decide to get it.

Whether you should go for the Live or stick to the 2500 probably comes down to workflow preference. If you have the opportunity to try out the Live before you make a decission I can definitely recommend you to do so.