Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By momodig Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:40 am
I'm using the 2500 as master... I have the MPC communicating with the digitone through midi... everything seems to be working right... but I'm having one issue.

I have three drum patterns recorded usisng the MPC sequencer... pattern a, b and c I call them... I have two bass lines programed with the digitone sequencer... One pattern is in pattern bank 1 the other is in pattern bank two... now when press play on the mpc, the digitone works as it should, playing back the bass line perfectly in sync.

But when I make a program change... using the MPC... so when I'm playing drum patter A and B, I want to play bank 1 on the digitone and when I play pattern C on the mpc I want to play bank 2 on the digitone... again everything plays in sync properly... but when I do a sequence change say from pattern A to C on the MPC, the digitone doesn't change patterns untill the 2nd bar of the MPC drum track...

Any suggestions?
By bees80 Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:31 pm
digitone can't do sequence changes from when you change the seq on your mpc, you have to change the pattern yourself on the digitone.

But maybe better you record the midi notes in your MPC to sent to the digitone, this way you can do what you're after.
By Cockdiesel Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:45 pm
I’d have to look at it again, but the digitone is multi timbral. Each of your four tracks should be able to have a midi channel assigned to it.
Example:

Bank 1 bass- midi channel 2
Bank 2 pads- midi channel 3
Etc.

You should be able to program as many midi tracks you want on the Mpc even have a keyboard assigned to midi track 2 your pads set to 1 etc.

Save you digitone sequencing for parameter locks. It will help make some change ups.

Example when recording a sequence don’t hit any notes just slowly open a filter, or the wetness on a delay. It will work better if you have the digitone set to longer than the Mpc sequence.
Say 4 bars on the Mpc, 8 bars on a digitone sequence.
By bees80 Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 pm
that's exactly what i meant but you explained it better ;)

Another approach could be that you record per digitone track in the mpc as an audiotrack. This way you can even use up to 8 digitone audiotracks in the mpc as recorded pattern (per mpc sequence).

Connect the audio output to the mpc input. Then record an audiotrack per digitone track (by muting the digitone tracks out - pressing start on the mpc should start the sequence on the digitone) and record them all in audiotracks until you are finished. Then go on the next sequence on the mpc and the next pattern on the digitone.
Like this:
Record the tracks from digitone pattern 1 on the audiotracks of sequence 1 your mpc
Record the tracks from digitone pattern 2 on the audiotracks of sequence 2 on your mpc

Be carefull with effects used on the digitone with this method, for instance if you use delay, it will kind of cut of when the sequence start's again.

And keep in mind that different pattern lengths won't work (for example, if your MPC is set to 2 bars, but you want your digitone to be polyrhytmic. You could still record but it will always start at the first step (since it's an audiotrack).
By Cockdiesel Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:34 pm
He’s using a 2500, so he has to be tracking out but would also do it the same way you mentioned bc of only a stereo out. I th8nk it’s easier and more efficient to just track out at the end like program the stuff and track out on song mode. Then you don’t have to worry about any effects getting cut off. Put an empty bar or two at the end of the song and let it tail off naturally. You can also control your transitions better.

Digitone is a great pick. The baseline filter is a really great feature, I just wish you could use it when processing external sounds. I sometimes runs a line out from the mpc into it to get a different vibe with the effects.

I highly recommend an analog heat as well. Goes great with the digitone, and a mpc. A lot of bang for the buck too compared to other rack mount filters. The electron sequencer is awesome for programming it. Get one used for 500 or even below if you haggle. The mk2 looks nice with the bigger screen to help. You can get a filter factory real cheap as well, if youre more on a budget. Like 100-200 bucks.
By bees80 Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:04 pm
Cockdiesel wrote: th8nk it’s easier and more efficient to just track out at the end like program the stuff and track out on song mode. Then you don’t have to worry about any effects getting cut off. Put an empty bar or two at the end of the song and let it tail off naturally. You can also control your transitions better.

Digitone is a great pick. The baseline filter is a really great feature, I just wish you could use it when processing external sounds. I sometimes runs a line out from the mpc into it to get a different vibe with the effects.

That's the best solution, could even twist some knobs on the DT while recording to have some spicey automation :)

Also got a DT and an A4, use them a lot!