Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Twim Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 am
What is the best way to mix in the MPC? The way I see it, each track has it's own instrument/sound (eg, kick on track on, snare on track two, synth on three, etc), so you have a couple ways of lowering a snare, for instance:

1. Lowering the level of the sample on the pad under program
2. Setting the velocity of the hits in step edit mode
3. Lowering the level of the pad in mixer mode
4. Changing the "V%" on the main screen (Volume %? Velocity %?)

I got this thing maybe 2 months ago so I am still ironing out a workflow, but right now I have drum samples saved in folders on the hard disk that I am slowing working into programs that I can use for multiple projects. I typically record things as hot as I can get them before I detect clipping with my ear, so for the most part I am lowering volumes.

Also, I am looking to record short 4 bar loops in different sequences and then use song mode to stitch them together.

Any tips or advice?
By bees80 Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:30 pm
The MPC1000 is in my opinion not well suited for mixing, giving the options it has. That said, it is smart to try to balance the sounds as best as possible with the options it has (like you already described a bit).

For a more professional approach, you should consider buying a mixer (maybe with effects), or perhaps a good audio interface with at least 6 inputs. This way you can send out your sounds individually, and mix them individually.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:38 pm
bees80 wrote:For a more professional approach, you should consider buying a mixer (maybe with effects), or perhaps a good audio interface with at least 6 inputs. This way you can send out your sounds individually, and mix them individually.

Above is good advice.

Maybe this, audio interface + Mixer with USB.

By NearTao Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:19 pm
Just for clarity... are you looking to complete songs on the MPC 1k, or are you trying to make something you can play around and maybe gig with?

Asking only because the end result probably depends on the advice I'd give... but definitely if you're looking to mix/master then off board mixers are a great way to go.

I'd also suggest the Zoom H6 for multi-track recording if you're looking for something somewhat portable that'd allow you to record the 6 outs into stems that you can work with on a DAW later.

All depends on what kind of workflow you're looking for though :)
By Twim Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:54 am
I was looking to do as much as I can in the mpc itself. I know it isn't as convenient, but I want to really use the machine.

Also, I am too broke to buy a mixer atm.
By NearTao Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm
Focus on using the track mixer, and you can do some eq with the low pass, band pass, and high pass filtering in program mode.

Do not forget about layering sounds and resampling. If you are building tracks this should be fine. If you want to make a finished product you have an uphill battle, bit for what I think you want this should be sufficient. You can always export stems later when you can come back and work with a mixer or DAW.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:50 pm
NearTao wrote:Do not forget about layering sounds and resampling.

This. This is one of the ways you become a BEAST.
By Doydank Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:18 pm
Given what the lack of possibilities, I think the MPC1000 is still pretty OK for mixing.

Having the right volume, panning and some EQ can take you a long way.

The FX channel are also pretty neat to use if you want to throw shit to the sides in the mix. The tremolo has panning - adjust the correct width and spread on a sample to get it right, find the sweet spot of what sounds best

Mixing in mono is also a good idea some times if you are struggling.

Use the internal compressor - that can bring much life to a mix.

Once you start to run your main output signals into external devices like a RNC or a sp404 for vinyl sim compression, or further eq'ing - you can get something really good out of simple mix on the MPC1000.

My whole album Askekors https://open.spotify.com/album/0gERRyKXg9PtXd55xJAbqc?5= was made this way.

I love the mpc1000 :worthy:
By PSSTSHH Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:28 pm
In the pad mixer screen [mode + pad 8] you can set pad panning, pad levels, and FX send. This is also where you assign pads to separate outputs [1 through 4, or stereo]. Keep in mind that your effects will not be applied to anything set to outputs 1 thru 4, but it doesn't sound like you'll be using them anyway if you can't afford a mixer right now. The track mixer [mode + pad 4] is also very handy. And like others have said, you can use the filters in program mode [LPF, BPF, HPF]. Depending on your version of JJOS, theres also pitch and LFO options in program mode.

If you want to do everything in the box, resampling, layering, and effects are your friend. With certain JJOS, you can also resample nicely in the loop screen. This will record anything you play on the pads and make a new sample out of it. It will not record your composition when played from song mode.

Setting the volume levels in the mixers or in program mode will be a static setting for your whole composition, so editing the velocity of samples in the tracker screen [step edit] is the only way to manage that, as far as I know. It is also possible to link the pitch to velocity, and editing the pitch in step edit is another creative way to compose with just one sample!
By verde Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:57 pm
PSSTSHH wrote:In the pad mixer screen [mode + pad 8] you can set pad panning, pad levels, and FX send. This is also where you assign pads to separate outputs [1 through 4, or stereo]. Keep in mind that your effects will not be applied to anything set to outputs 1 thru 4, but it doesn't sound like you'll be using them anyway if you can't afford a mixer right now. The track mixer [mode + pad 4] is also very handy

new user here. in what situations would you use pad mixer and/or track mixer? I've been using only the track mixer for each separate beat. I haven't yet composed a whole set, so the mixing tend to vary between each beat. in a live setting, where multiple sequences are played, would it make sense to mix each sequence with the pad mixer and the overall sound with track mixer? how do you normally go at it? thanks!