Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:20 pm
Hello,

New to MPC4000, site says 1/4inch slot available but i don't see it in the back. All the ports are too big for my 1/4inch jack and the "Phones" slot in the front I don't think is the correct size either, for headphones (Audio Technica Mt4x) and definitely not for my phone auxiliary cable.

How do I go about connecting this type of speaker cable to my MPC 4000?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... akers-z200
By cleansocks Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:30 pm
Actually I just realized my cable is 3.5mm not 1/4 inch, so would an adapter for that work to plug in? Also, where exactly would I plug in 1/4inch speaker into the MPC 4000? There is no reference page for the back of the ports in the manual so I am a bit lost on where to plug it in... I have the analog 8 and multi fx board only no SPDIF and no ADAT
By Cockdiesel Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:45 am
To connect you phone you’ll need a 3.5 to quarter inch adapter. You may want to get a y cable one to put it out in stereo.

Connect the main left and right outputs to your speakers. Put a cd in the drive and figure out how to get it to play. Turn the mpc volume all the way up and the speakers all the way down. Set the speakers to a decent level with the mpc all the way up. Not speaker bruising levels, like the loudest you would be comfortable with making beats for on for longer periods. Don’t try to be cool and pound them. You can blow your speakers easily and the cost can stack up.

This is rudimentary stuff and you are going to get a lot of heckling but stick with it. Use the search tool bar. You can move up to properly calibrating your speakers, and all the rest of the fun. Im Just trying to get you up and running quick.

I had to learn this shit on my own and it took a long time, money and frustration. You have a great resource here, but you have to understand most of these guys see people like you come and go, so they don’t feel like it’s crucial to hold peoples hands.

Don’t get frustrated, you may have to man up some and figure out some on your own but all this stuff once you learn it, becomes second nature.
By Cockdiesel Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 am
I’m still a newbie and had one for a decade just never used it to full potential. I could still figure out what I needed to to track out my stereo outs to a 404. I think talk like that might be intimidating and counterproductive for dude. You know he only needs a few tips in the right direction to start vibing with the the thing.

Clean socks get a usb stick, go to the free samples part of this site and figure out how to load them into your machine. Spend the most time with the free breaks and chopping them. Set the machine BPM to what it says in the file, learn to chop the drum samples up and get them to play in time.

Check out the mpc bibles too. And don’t forget the manual.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:17 am
The MPC 4000 is very deep machine... he's going to have to put time in. Got to let him bang his head a couple times. If he is strong willed and like a challenge this is the machine for him. If not, go get a SP 1200. :lol: Keep it 100! If he can master this machine, everything else is easy.

The MPC 4000 was built with studio engineers in mind. It's not dumbed down like all the new MPC's.
By cleansocks Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:22 am
Cockdiesel wrote:I’m still a newbie and had one for a decade just never used it to full potential. I could still figure out what I needed to to track out my stereo outs to a 404. I think talk like that might be intimidating and counterproductive for dude. You know he only needs a few tips in the right direction to start vibing with the the thing.

Clean socks get a usb stick, go to the free samples part of this site and figure out how to load them into your machine. Spend the most time with the free breaks and chopping them. Set the machine BPM to what it says in the file, learn to chop the drum samples up and get them to play in time.

Check out the mpc bibles too. And don’t forget the manual.

Thanks! yea i've been reading the bible and the manual like a madman. So excited to harness and use the features of this thing (Q link in particular looks dope af) but I gotta get some sound out of it first :Sigh:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP-434-Ste ... 9EBM2A692J

I got this thing for my 3.5 mm jack speakers. This is what I'm gunning for ya? I can see the main in and out so at least I know where to plug in. Thx to those that responded for that.

I formatted fat 32 drive can I load any amount of samples into it ? or is there a file size limit .
By cleansocks Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:25 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:The MPC 4000 is very deep machine... he's going to have to put time in. Got to let him bang his head a couple times. If he is strong willed and like a challenge this is the machine for him. If not, go get a SP 1200. :lol: Keep it 100! If he can master this machine, everything else is easy.

The MPC 4000 was built with studio engineers in mind. It's not dumbed down like all the new MPC's.

That's a bit what I was aiming for heheh, Learning from top on down so when I get some easier gadgets it'll be second sense. I can't lie and say that's the only reason I got this beast. Hearing so much about the legendary "groove" and lo-fi sound had me itching for this machine. Definitely gonna put it to good use
By CharlesRandolph Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:02 am
cleansocks wrote:
That's a bit what I was aiming for heheh, Learning from top on down so when I get some easier gadgets it'll be second sense. I can't lie and say that's the only reason I got this beast. Hearing so much about the legendary "groove" and lo-fi sound had me itching for this machine. Definitely gonna put it to good use

It's a solid machine, but its not Lo Fi. For that you'll need to go with the older s series samples.
By cleansocks Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:44 am
Ok So wtf...

I got the adapter and plugged my speakers into MAIN OUT . nothing. I press the pads and it's clear that they register cuz the IN marking goes up everytime I press a pad, but nothing comes out of Out. I went to to the global tab and it's at 0.0 DB and I can't raise it up higher but i can make it lower. My speakers are up, my REC GAIN and Volume are in the middle. The **** is happening?