Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Luke95 Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:59 pm
Hi guys im having a really annoying problem with my MPC2500.

I have made the beat and and happy with how it sounds (when it plays in the MPC).
Ive turned on the eq/compressor and also added reverb while mixing in the MPC.

The problem is, when i track-out the beat to my DAW, (using my Safire pro 14 audio interface) it completely loses all of the mixing settings and sounds weak/quiet and nothing like it did coming out of the mpc machine itself.

Its really annoying because the main reason i bought an mpc is because of the eq/compressor settings and the way it sounds compared to a daw, im not sure why the eq/compressor/reverb drops off when i track-out, even the snare loses its reverb effect so i can tell its just not picking up any of the mixing/mastering settings done on the mpc, im not sure if its my audio interface or if its just some setting that i havnt turned on in the mpc, hopefully the second one :lol:

The way i am currently tracking out :

I go into my daws mixer and select the inputs/outputs so it can detect the mpc

Then I go into my mixer on the mpc, under 'stereo out' i change Every track im using from 'ST' to '12' so it plays through audio interface and into my daw.

Then i just record the beat in one.

Any help would be really appreciated!! I am new to the mpc world and hopefully its just one little thing i am missing out that is causing the problem :lol: it is preventing me from getting my beats out there.
By selecta jo Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:07 pm
hello!

if you look at the routing possibilities of the internal fx on page 92 of the user manual you will see that the fx only could be used on the main outputs.
nobody knows why akai chose not to implement routing of the fx to the individual outs 1-8, maybe it is a hardware restriction.

one way to track your beats over the individual outs 1-8 would be to resample our pads with the fx and then track out those "wet" tracks thru the outs 1-8.
the other way would be to track one pad at a time thru the master outs.

both ways could sound slightly different to what you are hearing when making the beat and monitoring the main outs, because not only are the fx on the master but also there is a master eq and compression that is also not present on the individual outs 1-8.
and the setting of the overall master level on the main outs is also making a difference in sound - wether you have a sparse or dense arrangement it could produce distortion bacause the output converters are clipping.

so unfortunately there is a big difference in the output capabilities of the main outs and the individual outs - as far as i know it is the same with the alternative os.

peace, jo
By Lampdog Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:52 pm
selecta jo wrote:
so unfortunately there is a big difference in the output capabilities of the main outs and the individual outs - as far as i know it is the same with the alternative os.

peace, jo

Really! Didn’t know that. 2kxl can do it, I thought 2500 being the better machine could do it too.
By saltmcgault Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 pm
selecta jo wrote:if you look at the routing possibilities of the internal fx on page 92 of the user manual you will see that the fx only could be used on the main outputs.

well damn. :WTF:
By Menco Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:29 pm
Lampdog wrote:
selecta jo wrote:

peace, jo

Really! Didn’t know that. 2kxl can do it, I thought 2500 being the better machine could do it too.

Yeah, is a real shame. On the other hand, if you’re at that stage where you multitrack into daw or digital recorder you have the ability to add way better FX to your beat than the stock Akai ones. I only use them as a sketch; see how things would sound with some reverb which I will add later once the beat is tracked out. Or when I want a simple stereo track straight out of the box. I do compress and resample all of my drumbreaks though.
By Luke95 Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 am
Thanks for all your replys and info!

That really sucks tbh!!, i cant believe the 2500 cant send effects out, its such a basic/essential thing, wishing i bought a 2000XL now...

Anyways.. in terms of solutions

'the other way would be to track one pad at a time thru the master outs'

how would i do this?

in the mix out section in the mpc, im guessing the 'ST' stands for stereo and is the main stereo output, and the '12' is Assignable Mix out 1 and 2

so is 'ST' the master outs?? im not really sure how to go about tracking out through the master outs

Its mainly the master EQ and Compressor from the mpc that i want to keep on my beats, i can never make it sound anywhere near as clear with the compressors in FL, The Built in EQ/Compressor on the 2500 is one of the best ive heard,,,

Thanks!!