Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 am
Someone asked me what is LP2 and LP4, etc, the numbers behind the low pass, what do they mean. I figured someone else might wanna know too.

:arrow: :arrow: Low Pass Filters

By Lampdog Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:02 pm
selecta jo wrote:very nice explanation!

I’ve been knowing this for years but that webpage was the easiest explanation I found and
did a better job at detailing it than I could.

I’m not adventurous enough to try the MS-20 filter :lol: , for those that are, MORE POWER to em and I’d like to see what they come up with. It’s interesting.

Not from the manual...

From the manual...
ImageImage

By Cockdiesel Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 am
Damn they really stepped up the manual since I last looked. Never seen the Mpc 3000 LP...
There was nothing like that 3 years ago...
weird to se you FTFM lamp and post about it. I got the live bible and worked through it and never looked back.
By Lampdog Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:28 am
I actually read manuals of gear I have because I wanna know what I bought and how to use it.
Tricks come later when your comfortable with several features and experimenting, lol.
By DokBrown Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:53 pm
Great post LAMP.
Key Advice backed by resources/images.

I default to the MPC 3000 filter b/c it simple & sounds pretty good on most stuff I run thru it. I’ve been meaning to try the VOCAL filters on some vocal chops I did last year on my roland MV.

https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-heat-mkii/#

I actually get overwhelmed by the MPC filter options so I find myself reverting to analog filters. If you have never had any analog gear, I suggest u get at least 1 for filter purposes. A true analog oscillator/filter is powerful & simple like a pump action shotgun. Glocs & GALILs are nice but nothing is quite like a Mossberg 500. I know there are horde of fine plugins/VSTs, but nothing is quite like a real analog filter sweep/LFO. The joy of turning 2-3 knobs & getting amazing results. I tend to save digital FX for things analog could never do like initial audio or KORG KAOSS.

I have never owned any expensive/vintage synths [dave smith/moog] or modular [???} but I rec the current novation BS 2 for the price. There is a lot of magic in finding a cheap piece of analog gear & getting “out of the box” textures. When u find what works for you, you will have a sound that only you know how to spin. My only suggestion is that u build your sound around a piece of equipment that can be easily replaced NOT some obscure or expensive unit. There is a big difference between gear collector & musician. I only keep 2 analog synths around.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/no ... -station-2

Keep in mind that the signal will be MONO now & that you should have the sequencer running to keep the filter open. The elektron heat is pricy but compact & stereo. See the sweetwater post below.

https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-heat-mkii/#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAyFaOOu1TA
By Lampdog Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:48 pm
Wuddup man. I have a Moog Subsequent-37. It has a mono audio input that can be routed through it’s analog filter. It’s a GREAT shit. :-D :-D Your right, the filter flavoring is tasty.

For anyone that has a 37, this is the route ext audio input will take.
Susequent-37 manual, pg 11.

By Lampdog Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:26 am

Taken from Kronos2 manual but also applies here.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:26 am
Wuddup!!

Looooooongtime no see.

How tha **** are you man?

You came back to join the “Electric Funk” battle right, right?
By selecta jo Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:36 am
Hello!

Sometimes i use the external input on my alesis micron to send some audio thru its filters. There are like 20 different types of filters in several "flavours" like moog-type or oberheim-type of which some sound amazing, but it is not much fun as the realtime control is lacking.

My E-MU Morpheus synth has 192 different filter types and a technology called z-plane filter, which is a combination of a low-pass filter and six bands of eq, all freely configurable, so that filter has 14 poles. The real trick of that filter is its ability to sweep those settings in a three-dimensional fashion, a little bit like the morphing of sounds in vector synthesis on a korg wavestation. This synth unfortunately has no audio input so the filter can only be used internal. If somebody wants a filter like that standalone, then there is the morpheus filter module for eurorack by rossum electro-music from one of the founders of E-MU.

That little MS-20 filter i build from the lookmumnocomputer website is getting used much more recently even if it still sits in a cardboard box like in the prototype stage because i could not make a real case just yet. This simple resonating low pass filter in combination with a real simple lfo for cv is so much hands on fun with instant gratification in sound. If somebody can not build this for whatever reason then i recommend to buy a cheap korg monotron which has the same MS-20 filter and an aux-input!

peace, jo
By Lampdog Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Yes! Z-plane on my emu turbo phatt, I love the thing and so I was glad to get to know vector control on the kronos.

EMU modules imo are still no joke to this day.

I was think of doing an envelope thread, same concept of this one. Pitches, amp, filters, whatever envelopes we wanna post about, expand on and discuss. What yall think?
By Peccary Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:07 pm
Lampdog wrote:I was think of doing an envelope thread, same concept of this one. Pitches, amp, filters, whatever envelopes we wanna post about, expand on and discuss. What yall think?

I'd dig that. I check these forms most days even though I don't participate much (I'm a noob and don't have a lot to contribute yet). There's a lot of knowledge and opinions here and I appreciate that. I learn something new from y'all just about every day.