Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:57 am
Let me explain,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107733&start=15

I was reading thru this thread And I could not relate more to anything I've read recently. I've been trying to read the manual and watch videos to understand and read threads, but I'm still not quite sure on some things. Specifically, how things are ordered around in the MPC:

So lets say I have a USB full of samples, and also song segments to chop in the 4000. I do this , when I save is it labeled as a program, as a multi, or as a track? Or I guess I should ask how do you assign a basic loop you made to part of a song you are creating? i am having trouble understanding if a multi is assigned parts which are assigned to a program, or if programs are entire templates of sounds made to be sequenced in song mode? If so, what is the BIGGEST of them all, in other words whhat is the main file called that you access to listen to your song and edit if needed/

Also, can you save your pad layout of sounds? and can you cycle between different templates of sounds (so say I chopped a bunch of samples into 16 parts on my MPC and saved them). If so, can you do this in realtime / while the MPC is recording? If so, how doyou do it, which button to press? I read something about Q-Link and Im guessing it has something to do with those knobs on the left but i'm still having trouble understanding...
By 5U-7_(7ON) Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:06 am
You need to download the manual and read it.

https://www.platinumaudiolab.com/free_s ... manual.pdf

The veterans are going to kick me for answering questions that can be easily found in the manual, but I was you once so I'm feeling bold.

On the 4000:

[*]SAMPLES are your audio clips, the smallest unit.
[*]PROGRAMS are collections of your audio clips arranged either onto drum pads (DRUM Program) with up to 8 banks each, or into onto a key map (KEYGROUP Program). These are the next biggest unit. Each key or pad can have up to 4 layers of samples.
[*]MULTIS are collections of programs. for example: a keygroup program with a split mono bass/layered polyphonic piano; a drum program with four banks for your full percussion; a keygroup program with a mono synth lead; a program with just MIDI output data, etc. Ideally, you create one multi per project (or per section in a complex composition), and each project/multi will contain several programs, each which contain several samples. Multis are the next largest unit.
[*]The largest unit is a SONG. In song mode, you can arrange sequences that refer to specific multis and/or programs into a final order.

What are sequences?

[*]A SEQUENCE is an arrangement of midi data. A sequence dictates what sounds play and when. You may have several sequences in one project, for Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, etc.
[*]Sequences are made up of smaller units called tracks. A TRACK is a single series of MIDI events (or notes) that you want to mix independently. Most MPC heads I know use a different track for each piece of their drum kit. For example, I could make a sequence and use the same drum program for my first eight tracks because I want my Kick, Snare, Clap, Hi Hat, Open HH, Triangle, Woodblock, and Crash to all be mixed as individual audio tracks in my mixer (either in the MPC or external). But all of these tracks would be pulling from the same drum program. Then, I could add my keygroup programs on top of those eight tracks (tracks 9, 10, 11, etc.), and those would each refer to a different part. But in order to do this, you must understand what parts are.
[*]A PART refers to a program that is going to be used throughout a sequence. If you only had one program in your sequence, you wouldn't have a need to divide anything into parts. But going back to my earlier example, if I want Track 1 of my sequence to be playing the bass from my split bass/piano program (we'll call this Prog 1), Track 2 to be playing the piano (also Prog 1), the drums to be playing on track 3 (Prog 2), and my lead synth on track 4 (Prog 3), I would simply assign Prog 1 to both Part 1 & 2 (so I can mix my bass and piano separately), Prog 2 to Part 3 (Drums), and Prog 3 to Part 4 (Synth Lead). Then I would designate Track 1>Part 1 (Bass); Track 2 >Part 2 (Piano); Track 3>Part 3 (Drums); and Track 4>Part 4 (Synth lead).
By Lampdog Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:37 pm
5U-7_(7ON) wrote:
NearTao wrote:I won't kick anybody for stepping up to answer a question and being helpful.

Good job and thanks for helping support the community!

Cool, cheers NearTao :smoker:

+1