Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By P.Jay Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:38 pm
My top row sensors was not working so I purchased a new pad sensor and replaced it but now there is no volume when I try to hit the playback button and non of the sensors are responding. Please help
By 2Mb Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:26 am
P.Jay wrote:My top row sensors was not working so I purchased a new pad sensor and replaced it but now there is no volume when I try to hit the playback button and non of the sensors are responding. Please help

Did you unplug any connectors other than the pad sensor connector???

I would be able to tell you what you need to do but i don't know what you did when you replaced it. Did you only touch the pad sensor or what. Did you follow directions etc.

It sounds like either something is not plugged in correctly or something went poof inside it.
By JVC Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:07 pm
I recently had similar problem as OP. My MPC-2000XL's top row pad, all 4 of them, became unresponsive. When all one row or column of pads stop working, it's most likely that connection, not pad sensor itself, is the culprit, or I suspected that that is the case.
I opened my MPC and cleaned the sensor connector (the pad film part that connects to the mainpoard) but it wasn't very successful. I tried to insert the sensor connector the way that female connector on mainboard would contact a bit different area, because it seemed that conductive on the sensor film is a bit worn, making the first row of pads not sensitive.

To get the point, here's my solution that worked very well;

I inserted the nerf gun "bullet" under the film, so that now sensor's conductive would touch the unused area, making it better connection. Also, it gently pushes down sensor's conductive areas to each pins in the connectors on the board.

It works very well for me, at least now.
By NearTao Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:19 pm
My only immediate concern with that kind of a fix is that the ribbon traces might not be secured in enough, and may add some stress/fatigue to the latch over time. Still, looks like a clever fix. best of luck with it!
By JVC Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:39 pm
NearTao wrote:My only immediate concern with that kind of a fix is that the ribbon traces might not be secured in enough, and may add some stress/fatigue to the latch over time. Still, looks like a clever fix. best of luck with it!

Yes, it was my concern as well, but since it worked right away, I think there are enough ribbon traces (area) for the connector. It might be better to slice the Nerf bullet for adjust tension, but since it is very soft and it's a cylinder shape, it's not pushing the trace to the connector too hard.

However, I just realized that there is a great product for this issue:
BARE Conductive Electric Paint. I have repaired worn out buttons on my TV remote with this nice paste (or "paint")
Since my pads are working very well, I'm not going to use this, but when this trick stop working, I'll this conductive paste.
By JUKE 179r Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:29 pm
I tried that electric paint on a pad sheet before. Maybe it was just me but adding that paint is basically a crutch rather than fixing the problem of the MPC pad sensor sheet.
I ended up buying an new pad sheet from MPCExchange.
By JVC Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:52 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:I tried that electric paint on a pad sheet before. Maybe it was just me but adding that paint is basically a crutch rather than fixing the problem of the MPC pad sensor sheet.
I ended up buying an new pad sheet from MPCExchange.

(For other people, Just to make sure that I'd use it at the connector area, not the sensor pad area. )
Fortunately I didn't have to use the paint, but if I were to apply the paint to the connector area, I'd have to be very careful not to apply too much.
I'm glad I didn't have to use the paint though.
By JVC Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 am
OK, as turned out, all the 4 pads the first top row became unresponsive again.
Using multi-meter, I found the broken trace and peeled conductive on the insert area (circled)

I applied the conductive paint using a toothpaste:

I decided to apply paint on all the connector area:

Now all the pads work like a charm!