Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By pask Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:56 pm
Hi there,

I'm chopping my first samples on the 4000 and run into 2 issues that I'd appreciate some more advanced users' feedback on.

1. Trying to slice a sample into regions, I can't find a way to add slices as I chop. I mean, is defining the number of chops in advance the only way to do it?
I typically find myself with either too many or too few slices to work with and changing the number of slices in the Window menu resets all the chopping job (!)...

2. After painstakingly chopping the sample, I've exported it as separate slices and created a new Program out of that. Great.
The issue is that each and every sample is actually longer than what I chopped it (!). For instance my first kick sample has also half of the following snare at the end of it, although I'm 101% sure that I chopped it correctly.

... maybe the 4000's Obi-Wan Kenobis have another way to slice but as it is now, I find it pretty cumbersome, I need to say.
By pask Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 pm
So, there is no way, while you're chopping, to add new slices, right?
And is this slice end issue a common fact?
By CharlesRandolph Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:34 pm
pask wrote:So, there is no way, while you're chopping, to add new slices, right?
And is this slice end issue a common fact?

When I slice on the 4000, I know how many regions I need before I slice it. Then I slice, edit, save a new program. I go to each pad and do a quick clean it up.

Are you running the latest OS?
By 5U-7_(7ON) Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:54 am
The simple approach is to count the peaks in the waveform before you determine how many slices you want, then adjust slices as needed.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:14 am
That works with sound sources with definitive transients, but with sources that don't have that. It's better to use one's ears and know what they want to slice. It trains the ear to listen to the music in depth and really dissect the music.
By pask Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:35 am
OK thanks.
So, yes, the number of slices can’t be changed as an afterthought without loosing the chopping job.
Good to know, I’ll find a way.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am
pask wrote:OK thanks.
So, yes, the number of slices can’t be changed as an afterthought without loosing the chopping job.
Good to know, I’ll find a way.

Unfortunately, it can't. What can we say, it was 2002 and Akai Pro never full flushed out the OS because of the Bankruptcy. You can select two more regions then you intent to use, then just delete the sample when they're created. These are one of those thing, I learned to work around. :nod:
By pask Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:15 pm
While we’re at it: after loading a sample, if I press the Pad Assign knob, the sample field (to browse through the samples) isn’t available.
I first need to open either Program or Multi or whatever for this field to suddenly be available.
What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help!