Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By grimaybeats555 Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:43 am
Quick question. How many outs does the mpc 4k come with standard?

By grimaybeats555 Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:17 am
I checked on the akai website. It said it only has two outs? That doesn't seen right if it only has two outs how do you track seperate drum sounds on seperate channels. Do you just give up tracking with multiple channels using the 4k or what?

By gmm04e Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:49 am
From akaipro website:
"Up to 10 analog outputs, and/or 10 digital outputs with optional IB-48P and IB-4ADT expansion boards"

By Rob Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:27 pm
Indeed, 10 outputs. I have the analog output board installed which adds 8 outputs to the standard 2 main outputs. You can send a signal to any of these outputs, either mono or to stereo pairs.

By phatbeats Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:57 pm
so you can have two expansion boards installed.

By Rob Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:10 pm
AFAIK, you can have the analog + ADAT expansion board installed, but they both cover the same 8 outputs (but in analog and digital formats). 10 outs is the max you get.
Last edited by Rob on Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By renegadebliss Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:47 pm
grimaybeats555 wrote:I checked on the akai website. It said it only has two outs? That doesn't seen right if it only has two outs how do you track seperate drum sounds on seperate channels. Do you just give up tracking with multiple channels using the 4k or what?

Akai never indicated that it comes STANDARD with more then 2 outs....

You can certainly track your drums in Mulitiple channels, with 2 OUTS, just don't
do it ALL AT ONCE. You can take several pass' to get the same effect
if you don't want to PURCHASE the expansion cards....

Dave

By grimaybeats555 Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:27 pm
How much do the expansions run for?

By IE Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:38 am
anywhere from 250-350

By grimaybeats555 Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:22 pm
Thanks.
By terrible.dee Tue May 05, 2020 10:35 pm
NOT COOL!

When purchasing a "premium" machine of this type, certain things are not "optional" certain things are bedrock, do or die features.

I consider individual outs to be a core must on drum machines, and any I own that don't come with them standard have been modded.

But for something like an MPC, where the entire SONG is coming out of it...look, I even thought the MPC500 shouldn't have been marketed with any less than 8 (I'm sorry, but it's a fact, and if you ever want to use these things live than the MINIMUM you can live with is 1. Kick 2. Snare 3&4. Rest of kit 5. BASS! 6&7 stereo instrument mix 8. Click (To send out to the drummer)

Any front-of-house guy who has a CLUE is going to want these subbed out at a bare minimum.

I don't like the poison idea that bored its way into the industry that you could have a bunch of instruments on the same output.

The question is simple: How many instruments is your device playing? (Keeping in mind Kick, Snare, Hats/Cymbals Toms are NOT a single instrument.)

THAT is the number of outs your machine requires STANDARD!
By Lampdog Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 pm
This is 4k sub-forum, 4k can use 10 mono outs. Not a problem.
By 5U-7_(7ON) Sat May 09, 2020 4:57 am
You should have checked the manual before posting a question like this. This is basic knowledge covered within the first few pages.
By 5U-7_(7ON) Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 am
oh my bad I'm stoned and didn't realize this post was 15 years old :hmmm: :smoker: