Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By aakai Sun May 10, 2020 2:48 pm
Hi everyone, I am brand new to the world of Akai MPCs having wanted one for awhile but not being in a financially stable position until now.

I've been mostly considering a MPC 2500, 2000XL, or a 1000 (for a great price).

I've come across a listing for a MPC 2500LE that looks in good condition, under $600. It looks like there's a bit of rust on the underside of the unit, but nothing a little steel wool wouldn't fix.

Considering that the seller is halfway across the country, is there anything I should reach out to the seller and ask about the machine? Based on what I'm seeing online, this seems like a good deal and the seller is rated highly, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask the experts 8)
By ghoulie Thu May 14, 2020 10:33 pm
I'm no expert myself, but that's a decent deal. OK shape 2500s go for 600-750 on ebay, so you may want to wait for one on there for some protection/better details.

These are old machines, so I'd really try to get as much info as possible. If anything, it's always a case for lowering the price. The most important to check imo:
-pads/buttons working (w/o these working, there could be more issues that can't be checked)
-pic(s) of screen powered on
-I/O working properly (no distortion, pots OK)

I recently picked up a 2500 for around the same price and am still finding new issues I have to pay for. Esp with rust, be prepared to invest a bit more than what you're paying.
By JUKE 179r Fri May 15, 2020 9:19 am
Ask the seller if he knows of any music/MPC forums to learn more about the 2500. Get his forum name and check his posts about his specific 2500.
By Eyalc Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm
I don't post a lot in this sub-forum, but I lurk here because I've always loved the 2500.

My advice, don't buy ANYTHING with rust on it. Only one thing causes rust - moisture. And if there's rust on the outside, then that same moisture undoubtedly impacted the inside. Just like a car.

IMO anything with rust on it, is nothing more than a ticking time bomb.
By NearTao Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 pm
I'll second Eyalc here... it isn't like this is an MPC 60 or 3k that is over twice the age. A tiny bit of rust fuzz might be okay... but if it's looking dodgy on the outside you're likely going to find that the inside is a bit of a mess too, and could be an indication that the main boards will need to be repaired as well.

All that said... it will really depend on how much time, energy, and money you are willing to invest. If you're handy with a soldering iron, and love tearing things apart to repair them, then I'd say make an offer for what you think is fair given the repairs you'll likely have to do... otherwise I'd look for something in better shape so you can have a better chance to just get to making music.