MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Sat May 30, 2020 8:24 pm
Yep, that works too, did that many times before.
By HUBA Sat May 30, 2020 10:57 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
HUBA wrote:See Lampdogs first post in this thread

How do you mix the song? How many tracks do you end up having?

Depends on the song. Currently I'm at 9 drum tracks, which isn't unusual, but it's still all very stripped down and basic grooves with lots of sound shaping, filtering, effects, some muting and a bassline. I have a sample library I have worked on for several years with lots of home brewed stuff that I'm quite happy with, so I never use the MPC sound library.

Although I realize I should use templates and be more organized I just start out with something that emerges into something completely different, which is fun and all, but I always end up in a mess where I want to be able to rearrange stuff to make it more managable and be able to take it further without getting overwhelmed and in the end loosing interest in proceeding, hence the thread question. I usually end up wanting to rearrange sounds into groups to be filtered or muted together, have their own output for external processing etc. I should probably resample more and bounce to audio but never do. LOVE the Flatten Pad function though.

If it's not perfectly clear already I never actually finish anything, so I don't stick to any set and proven work method except the open ended experimental one where I just let the spur of the moment take me into whatever direction I'd like to explore there and then. Usually some kind of abstract techno. It's messy but fun. I tend to save new versions of the same project quite often in case I end up ruining something.

So the MPC Live for drums, bass, sound fx and sample hits and mostly a Virus TI2 for pads and synthy stuff. Into a mixer. If I'm extremely happy with anything I record it into Ableton Live and take it further from there. (never actually happens)

Long answer, but that's what you get for asking open ended questions :wink:
By Lampdog Sun May 31, 2020 4:58 am
I copy/paste pad midi events more often than whole tracks.
By HUBA Sun May 31, 2020 9:09 am
acura wrote:You can:
1. Copy track 1 to an empty track
2. Delete everything in that new track except for pad 3
3. Move all notes from pad 3 to pad 9
4. Copy the new track to track 2 using the merge function. It will include the Midi notes from pad 9 to track 2.

Wait, I think maybe I get what you're saying.

Say I want a pattern that's on pad 5 in track 1 to be on pad 7 on track 2.

1 - I copy track 1 to the next empty track, say track 3.

2 - I erase everything in the new copy except for the pattern on pad 5 that I copy paste to pad 7 in the same track.

3 - I erase all data on pad 7 in track 2 and then merge track two with track 3

Now the pattern I wanted from track 1 is placed on the pad where I wanted it in track 2

This is obviously more work than just copy pasting between tracks, but may be more accurate in terms of where the MIDI notes land in the timeline. I need to try this and compare the results.

EDIT: No it's the same. The MIDI notes in the copy don't line up with those of the original
By HUBA Sun May 31, 2020 9:28 am
Lampdog wrote:I’ve gotten it to work perfectly 90% of the time.

Then 10% of the time you probably don't have any MIDI event at the very beginning of the timeline :)

Seems like the copied pattern will be pasted with the first note placed at the very beginning, ignoring any empty "rest" space you might have before the first note in the pattern. If this is intended behaviour and not a bug it's certainly a very strange decision on Akais part. Most of my patterns don't have anything at 1.01.01.

I got it to work without skewing the placement of the MIDI notes by placing a new MIDI note at the very beginning of the original pattern. The copied pattern now lines up perfectly with the original pattern. You'll then have to erase that new event afterwords off course. Or just turn its velocity down to zero before copying the pattern. But other than that it actually works :-D :-D :-D
By Lampdog Sun May 31, 2020 1:26 pm
Yeah, that lonely ass note at the beginning, lol.

What does it want? It just wants to be invited to the midi bbq, I understand.
By HUBA Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 pm
wavejockey wrote:what if you just copy the track and then transpose ?

?
By Lampdog Sun May 31, 2020 7:32 pm

I’ve transposed midi events from one pad to another. It works.
I’ve copy/pasted those events in another track and transposed there also. It works.

“Transpose the whole track” would make more sense for chromatic KG’s wouldn't it?
By HUBA Sun May 31, 2020 8:28 pm
Holy cr¤p that works too! Guess I should have read that bible after all :WTF:

I don't have to copy anything first thogh, so I don't get what was meant by that. I just press the pad in question, press Transpose and turn the datawheel and the pattern moves, without the notes getting out of wack in the timeline.

Now if merging tracks doesn't mess with the placement of MIDI notes either then you wouldn't have to place a new note at the beginning of each pattern you want to copy and having to delete it again afterwards.
By Lampdog Sun May 31, 2020 11:08 pm

I should have specified.

Did you mean copy the pad midi events and transpose the copy?
..cause that works also.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:17 pm
Pg 123, 128.
2.8 manual
I get it now.

I’ve used this on 4k, but have ‘t used it on X.