Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Rafaelvargas17 Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:04 am
Whats up, bros!

I have an akai 2000xl and I am looking for a sampler rack to complement it. Since I don't have the money to buy an akai s950 and its characteristic 12-bit gritty sound, I'd like to know if the option of the s3000xl would be feasible to achieve classic 90s boom bap rhythms, mainly for drums, filters and effects. My other option is the E-mu esi 4000, which has very good filters but I read that it was very bad for drums.

Thanks a lot for your help!
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:43 am
Rafaelvargas17 wrote:Whats up, bros!

I have an akai 2000xl and I am looking for a sampler rack to complement it. Since I don't have the money to buy an akai s950 and its characteristic 12-bit gritty sound, I'd like to know if the option of the s3000xl would be feasible to achieve classic 90s boom bap rhythms, mainly for drums, filters and effects. My other option is the E-mu esi 4000, which has very good filters but I read that it was very bad for drums.

The 2000 XL has everything you need.
By richie Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:15 am
Rafaelvargas17 wrote:Whats up, bros!

You keep asking basically the same question over and over again. You were provided with excellent info in the two previous topics you already created.

The S3000XL uses the same sample engine as the MPC 2000XL, so you won't gain anything soundwise. Now, if you decided to use the S3000XL for other sample related manipulation, particularly with building synth related sets, then great as it will have far more specific editing options in comparison to the limited amount the XL offers.
By terry towelling Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 am
ok...so what you really want is a 12 bit sampler. but the usual suspects..the s950, sp1200 etc are way too expensive, right?

despair not. the ensoniq eps classic is 12 bit (well, technically its 13 bit), sounds great and sells for much less than other 12 bit machines.
By LoopTheCrook Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:48 pm

and it sounds nice on drums too :D
By peterpiper Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 pm
:) Didn't know that the resampling in the 3000 can sound that nice. And the time it takes to calculate seem to be MUCH faster than the MPC2000XL :)
But 26kHz is still too much. I would **** with 13kHz :)

peace
By LoopTheCrook Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 am
I think 13kHz would be overkill.
I did many testing with my s3000 and somewhere in the neighborhood of 26k is the sweet spot if you’re not into total lofi madness 8)

I think sampling drums that way and layering kick with a little bit of 808 or internal sine wave can bring some really ruff results :smoker: