Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:It's like people never heard of a Compressor, Filters, and/or EQ. :lol:

By gickosa Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:25 pm
I decided to produce completely DAWless. I bought the MPC 2000xl new in 2000 and had to sell it because of lack of money . This was the biggest mistake of my life!!! I mainly do old school house and never got happy with NI machine (totally bloated and way too many sounds). I always had the feeling that I touch a PC without a mouse, which can never be the goal now. All my synths are hardware (DX7, Korg M1, Roland JV 1080 and so on). When I now once again rummaged in the MPC world, it became clear to me: Such a thing has to come back! The problem with the MPC X is that you stick to the screen again and you listen less to the sound. I am just old school. Has anyone experienced if you can work well with the MPC 3000 in today's world? I love it simple and don't want to be held up by technology all the time! What do you think?
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:48 pm
You can keep it simple on the MPC X, only use the features that you need and bypass everything else. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.
By dryad-66 Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:44 am
Problem is there just so much there in your face on the X.I think the older machines there is a calmness when producing,like your in charge,just making a beat.The X is a full on DAW.With bells ect....All demanding your attention.But yeah if you can get over that.Straight Soundwise was nothing interesting for me.Its nice to have a bit of flavour.Some imperfections that add up to character.What really pisses me off about these new machines is the mod matrix,portamento and free running LFOs not present.Whhat with the vanilla sound you get very static experience just recording a basic beat.The sequencer in on point tho.FX.filters and editing are easily worth the price of admission.

Edit-i know the 3000 is very limited.The weight of sound and vibe could make up for this tho.The logical conclusion is get the 4000.Thank me later 8)
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:55 am
dryad-66 wrote:Problem is there just so much there in your face on the X.I think the older machines there is a calmness when producing,like your in charge,just making a beat.The X is a full on DAW.With bells ect....All demanding your attention.But yeah if you can get over that.Straight Soundwise was nothing interesting for me.Its nice to have a bit of flavour.Some imperfections that add up to character.What really pisses me off about these new machines is the mod matrix,portamento and free running LFOs not present.Whhat with the vanilla sound you get very static experience just recording a basic beat.The sequencer in on point tho.FX.filters and editing are easily worth the price of admission.

Edit-i know the 3000 is very limited.The weight of sound and vibe could make up for this tho.The logical conclusion is get the 4000.Thank me later 8)

What are you currently using?
By Menco Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:09 am
gickosa wrote:I decided to produce completely DAWless. I bought the MPC 2000xl new in 2000 and had to sell it because of lack of money . This was the biggest mistake of my life!!! I mainly do old school house and never got happy with NI machine (totally bloated and way too many sounds). I always had the feeling that I touch a PC without a mouse, which can never be the goal now. All my synths are hardware (DX7, Korg M1, Roland JV 1080 and so on). When I now once again rummaged in the MPC world, it became clear to me: Such a thing has to come back! The problem with the MPC X is that you stick to the screen again and you listen less to the sound. I am just old school. Has anyone experienced if you can work well with the MPC 3000 in today's world? I love it simple and don't want to be held up by technology all the time! What do you think?

With the hardware you already have and the style of music you make I assume you already have a decent mixer and won’t use the MPC’s features for heavy sample editing. For extensive midi sequencing and basic sample editing the 3000 could definitely work in a DAW-less setup. But I would suggest to look for one with a CF card drive installed.
By dryad-66 Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:55 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:Problem is there just so much there in your face on the X.I think the older machines there is a calmness when producing,like your in charge,just making a beat.The X is a full on DAW.With bells ect....All demanding your attention.But yeah if you can get over that.Straight Soundwise was nothing interesting for me.Its nice to have a bit of flavour.Some imperfections that add up to character.What really pisses me off about these new machines is the mod matrix,portamento and free running LFOs not present.Whhat with the vanilla sound you get very static experience just recording a basic beat.The sequencer in on point tho.FX.filters and editing are easily worth the price of admission.

What are you currently using?

I go through a lot of machines buying and selling.....ATM I’m back on the 4000 and the MPC 2.8 software.

The 4000 has a great mod matrix and basic free running LFO.Makes a lot of difference.Not seen a portamento tho......Please tell me its also got that :nod:

Update-seems like there is in key group.Will check it out.Amazing machine...
By Lampdog Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:01 am
dryad-66 wrote:Not seen a portamento tho......Please tell me its also got that :nod:

Yep. Pg 225 in the manual. It’s for keygroups only.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am
dryad-66 wrote:I go through a lot of machines buying and selling.....ATM I’m back on the 4000 and the MPC 2.8 software.

The 4000 has a great mod matrix and basic free running LFO.Makes a lot of difference.Not seen a portamento tho......Please tell me its also got that :nod:

I enjoy my 4000's and they're still my main external sequencers that interfaces with my computer. I've finally gotten rid of all my external sound modules and it feels fantastic. :nod:
By dryad-66 Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:19 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:I go through a lot of machines buying and selling.....ATM I’m back on the 4000 and the MPC 2.8 software.

I enjoy my 4000's and they're still my main external sequencers that interfaces with my computer. I've finally gotten rid of all my external sound modules and it feels fantastic. :nod:

I will find it hard to part with my Roland JV1080 .........
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:22 pm
dryad-66 wrote:I will find it hard to part with my Roland JV1080 .........

I keep hardware Compressors and Pre-Amps. All sound module sounds are now Sample Set or Virtual Instruments. Desktop or Laptop productions rigs are far superior, when it comes to handling sound now.

This is where the MPC X has an edge over the MPC 3000. The ability to MAP the majority of button and knobs.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:56 pm
dryad-66 wrote:The JV1080 has a sound.Wont find it in software the same.

The Roland cloud JV 1080 have the same instruments. But I'm more interested in sound sets like the Vienna Symphonic Library. I want my instruments to sound as close as possible to the acoustic instrument.
By richie Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 am
The only fair way to handle questions like this is to buy both and see how they fare in your workflow.

There is something to be said about stand alone samplers and having to commit to whatever you sample in vs using a new age 'DAW type' unit where you could spend hours scrolling and auditioning libraries of samples.

But at the end of the day, we're going to have another 100 threads like this asking the same questions. *shrug*