Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, ultimately a mixer or bay or some kind of area I can send all my sounds to in one place and back would make things much easier but it would be costlier, plus I have filled up every outlet in my room, lol. I'll stick with this cheap solution for now but you are absolutely right it does have its cons but it works as well... Also you can use the SP while MPC is off but only with the sounds onboard and u have to have headphones that plug into PHONES to listen to. Obviously not ideal but I didn't know I'd take up all the power in my room so quick!

Anyways, here is the video highlighting this visually. I sound very tired but its noob friendly

American DJ PC-100A (Make your life easier.)

Could I connect that to a surge protector outlet? I have no wall outlets remaining
By NearTao Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:25 pm
You could... though you'll want the one with the bigger fuse to be plugged into the wall first. Don't go too crazy with daisy chaining power around... stuff can get... hot :D

But seriously... that really should be fine.
By cleansocks Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:39 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:Could I connect that to a surge protector outlet? I have no wall outlets remaining

Yes, it has 8 inputs on the back. Just make sure you, don't overload your outlets.

What do you mean by overload? Like plugging in 7 fridges or heavy duty machines to power? If so, would an MPC 4K , Sp 404 , turntable, and speakers be considered overload for that unit?
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:43 am
cleansocks wrote:What do you mean by overload? Like plugging in 7 fridges or heavy duty machines to power? If so, would an MPC 4K , Sp 404 , turntable, and speakers be considered overload for that unit?

No issue at all.
By cleansocks Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:11 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:For the OP or anyone else considering this, you should consider getting a side mixer with this particular setup. Something with at least 12 inputs and 4 BUS. (Aux Send can work as well.)

CONS:
1. You can't sample from the turntable to SP 404 directly
2. You can't use the SP 404 without MPC 4000 been on
3. You can't use the Turntable without MPC 4000 been on
4. You constantly have to switch from Phono to Line on the MPC 4000 to sample
5. No expansion to sample or listen to other sources.

With a mixer this is how you patch it.

INPUT to MIXER:

MPC 4000 to input 1 and 2
SP 404 to input 3 and 4
Turntable to input 5 and 6

OUTPUT of MIXER:

Main out to your monitor
BUS 1 and 2 to MPC 4000 input
BUS 3 and 4 to SP 404 input

Any input routed to Bus 1 & 2 can be sampled into the 4000
Any input routed to Bus 3 & 4 can be sampled into the SP 404

BENEFITS

You can sample the 4000 into the SP 404
You can sample the SP 404 into the 4000
You can sample the Turntable into Both
You can listen to the turntable, 4000, and/or SP 404
No need to patch or switch from phono to line on the MPC.

NOTE:
*If you turntable has phono to line switch, you're good to go. However if the turntable only has phono out, considering get a Small DJ Mixer or Turntable DI or AV receiver.

DI:

J33 - Radial Engineering
BBE FJB-200X Phono Preamp
Behringer Microphono PP400 Phono Preamp
ART DJ PRE II Phono Preamp

cleansocks wrote:Thanks Charles, cockdiesel, and NearTao I followed your suggestions and the analog worked beautifully. I didn’t know how to utilize my 8 outs and just now learned How awesome it is. I can record my SP to my MPC, my Record player to my MPC, and I can record my MPC to my SP to add effects.

Here’s how I set it up if someone from the future happens to run into this same predicament with an SP or a device with similar in / outs.

What you need is a turntable with line in and phono switches (or just phono output tbh) , an 8 out board in your MPC, an SP, an RCA to RCA male cable , and 3 quarter inch to RCA jacks:

8 out 1/2 to SP line in

SP line out to MPC line in

Turntable set to phono, sent to Phono MPC in and ground wire

MPC main out to speakers

I can record whatever on the MPC from SP in record screen when Analog in is set to LINE, sequence and arrange on MPC, then set all parts and programs in MIX to 1/2 or whatever outs you choose and re record into the SP.

if I want to work With more samples I’ll flip the switch in the back of the MPC to phono and sample into MPC from my turntable. From there I can send to SP and vice versa.

This setup is **** awesome and I have your guys’ knowledge to thank For it. I know for a lot of y’all this information is obvious but i know I couldn’t find the exact answer on this forum or YouTube or anywhere so I’m making it crystal clear here for anyone later who owns both Machines and have this specific question.

It’s awesome and it works u just need a lot of cables and an 8 out on ur MPC!!

If I were to pursue this with a mixer to arrange my sounds easier, would u recommend any specific unit you may know of? I know u said 12 connects 4 bus or aux but theres tons of those, theres yamaha theres behringer some really cheap some more expensive. Is there anything specific you might suggest? :hmmm:
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm
cleansocks wrote:If I were to pursue this with a mixer to arrange my sounds easier, would u recommend any specific unit you may know of? I know u said 12 connects 4 bus or aux but theres tons of those, theres yamaha theres behringer some really cheap some more expensive. Is there anything specific you might suggest? :hmmm:

Yes, but It all depends on your price range.
By cleansocks Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:34 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:If I were to pursue this with a mixer to arrange my sounds easier, would u recommend any specific unit you may know of? I know u said 12 connects 4 bus or aux but theres tons of those, theres yamaha theres behringer some really cheap some more expensive. Is there anything specific you might suggest? :hmmm:

Yes, but It all depends on your price range.

something around this price https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... nnel-mixer
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:29 am
cleansocks wrote:
sweet thanks boss

If the turntable you have, has a phono / Line out options. Switch it to Line and plug it into 9/10 or 11/12 on the mixer. With this you'll be able to use and hear everything independently, out of your monitors or headphones.
Also any signal that goes into the board, can be patched to MPC or SP without unplugging anything.