For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By peterpiper Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 pm
^^ +1
Only thing that distracts me are the red stands. What are they? Looks LEGOish to me ;)
peace
By dabmeister Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:24 pm

New high def SD/CF recorder for my mastering chores. Can't use it until I get this "slowly shipped amazon prime" SD card Ive been waiting for since I ordered it Tuesday evening. :roll:
By Lampdog Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:15 am
By Monotremata Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:20 am
Think Ive rearranged all this shit like four times this year now, but this layouts working out pretty good, especially now that my sampler is right next to me instead of down in a rack near the floor. My new Mac mini is completely hidden and dead silent right behind the MPC. Damn space grey ninja edition.

By NearTao Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 pm
Been doing some serious house cleaning over here... considering the Waldorf Iridium, but I'd have to figure out what I'd sell off to make space and get enough cash to pick it up. Which probably means either the TI2 Darkstar or the Moog Voyager, neither of which I really want to flip.... on the other hand the Iridium probably overlaps the most with the Darkstar... life choices, right? And yeah... those dinky Bose speakers are getting the toss, but I have to free up my Yamaha monitors from my daughter's keyboard she uses for piano practice... getting where I want it though :D

By Peccary Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm
New here and thought I'd show my sprawling "studio." The MPC is helping me tie some things together as I've been a "bedroom bass player" for quite a while. Played in a few bands (one original) but never took the time to learn to put an actual song together myself.

The MPC had motivated me in to actually put my butt in gear and work on some ideas. Currently working my way through the MPC Bible and the main thing I'm learning is that I have a lot to learn.

This place has answered a ton of my questions even though I've only posted a couple of times, so thanks for that.

I'll try to list everything here, but not pictured is a Solana upright bass from Lemur music, Mesa/Boogie 400+, SWR Goliath III 4x10, and a mandolin and violin that are my wife's.

In the photo:
Arturia Microbrute
Arturia Drumbrute Impact
MPC One
Zed I10FX mixer
Tascam PortaStudio
American P
MusicMan SUB
Franken-Bass with Bassline Quarter Pound pups, Warmoth P neck, Badass II bridge, Schaller hardware, and an old SX Jazz body
Fender Black Cat (Catalina) acoustic guitar
Cheap Yamaha keyboard I bought my wife to help get her back in to playing keys (I don't have any formal music training and she does, so I use her to cheat)
Acoustic 10" practice combo amp
Pignose Hog 20, a chargeable/battery powered bass amp
Hohner Melodica
Lanikai ukulele
The pedals are a Behringer Chorus and Bass Driver copy, and a Woolly Mammoth clone that I built.
Forgot to add the PA cajon. ND the autoharp. My MIL have me the autoharp a couple of weeks ago. I gotta tune it and play around with it soon.

Last edited by Peccary on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Peccary Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 pm
NearTao wrote:@peccary - Reposting your pic for you... for imgur you need to finesse... like a woman... :D

Nice setup too!

:worthy:

Thanks. I'm on mobile and spent the last couple of minutes trying to get it, but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Still don't! Haha.
By Cockdiesel Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:22 pm
Cool room peccary. Miss my bass these days. I’ll pick one up again when I clear out more of my stuff.

Tao for such a large operation that sure looks clean and tidy. When I redo my setup I’ll post a pic up.
By Peccary Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:21 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Cool room peccary. Miss my bass these days. I’ll pick one up again when I clear out more of my stuff.

Tao for such a large operation that sure looks clean and tidy. When I redo my setup I’ll post a pic up.

Luckily I have a supportive wife, because this is our living room :-D

One of these days we'll manage to get a place with some extra space. Having a setup as clean as Tao would be nice!
By NearTao Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm
Hah... my wife is mildly supportive. I've actually got this setup in our bedroom and am told frequently I am making too much noise. Also why I haven't setup my monitors here, because they'll just add more to the noise. Going Eurorack did allow me to squeeze more space into the types of FX and sounds I wanted by going up... but it's expensive and not for everybody. I'd still like to squeeze a Waldorf Iridium into the setup... and I know I *can*, but given the space I decided to commit to, I'd trying to keep room for a notebook or iPad or laptop for when I need it, instead of just dropping something on every possible square inch.
By peterpiper Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:29 pm
NearTao wrote:Hah... my wife is mildly supportive. I've actually got this setup in our bedroom and am told frequently I am making too much noise. Also why I haven't setup my monitors here, because they'll just add more to the noise. Going Eurorack did allow me to squeeze more space into the types of FX and sounds I wanted by going up... but it's expensive and not for everybody. I'd still like to squeeze a Waldorf Iridium into the setup... and I know I *can*, but given the space I decided to commit to, I'd trying to keep room for a notebook or iPad or laptop for when I need it, instead of just dropping something on every possible square inch.

Yeah It's always good to have some free space to lay down things like a can of beer or an ashtray :)
BTW very dope setup with this modular thingy. Only thing I would never do is put the 950 to the lowest level. Thats a sacrilege ;)
Speaking about modular, I like what this crazy guy lookmumnocomputer does. He seems like having some acid producing cells in his brain but I like it. whenever the pandamic stuff is under contol and he do a gig in germany I'll in there

Whats the thing above the patchbay with this ......SCSI cable?

peace
By NearTao Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:48 pm
The S950 is at the bottom at the moment because the rack ears are actually not connected to the case. I never had rack ears for the S950, and when I bought a pair off of eBay it didn't come with the screws to mount to the case. So I agree... the Z8 should probably go to the bottom since I can use the screen with a PS2 cable for remote usage.

The serial cable actually goes from the Moog Voyager to the CV-Expander to give more patch points on the Voyager... it hooks up pretty well to the Eurorack, though some of this stuff I'm a bit cautious of patching because it isn't totally clear what the appropriate voltage levels are in the Moog. So definitely not for Scsi, though that'd be pretty cool if it were :D

EDIT: Yeah lookmumnocomputers is nuts, but in a totally spectacular way. Some of his vids are a bit self masturbation, but honestly, dude is super clever and really knows how to get plenty of distance out of gear people have passed up on over the years. The DIY he does drops some serious knowledge for those paying attention, and he's got the modern punk vibe that is sorely lacking in a lot of spaces these days.

EDIT2: One of my favorite videos of his, he's checking out vintage synths and just wailing on them like you would back in the day. It's in this odd space where he's both respecting this vintage gear and disrespecting it at the same time. He definitely could have jacked up some of these 10k+ synths, but at the same time, they are built like freaking tanks and were meant to take it. Dude just needed a better freaking stand!